Start by marking “Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1)” as Want to Read:
Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1)

Empire (In Her Name: Redemption #1)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  4,083 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
In the first book of an epic futuristic fantasy trilogy, this is the coming-of-age story of Reza Gard, a young boy of the Human Confederation who is swept up in the century-long war with the alien Kreelan Empire. Nightmarish female warriors with blue skin, fangs, and razor sharp talons, the Kreelans have technology that is millennia beyond that of the Confederation, yet th ...more
Published March 23rd 2009 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Empire, please sign up.

David Mead Well really there is no order to read them but there are 3 different trilogies so read all of one then decide which way to go from there like i…moreWell really there is no order to read them but there are 3 different trilogies so read all of one then decide which way to go from there like i started with First contact then worked my way through to Empire(less)

Henry
Dec 20, 2011 Henry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me preface this first with the warning this may be edited in the next few days before I post a review on Amazon.com; I want to get this right.
Second, let me say that I normally prefer to review a book after I've read it a second time as I find I'm normally unable to think critically about a book after only one reading. However, Mr. Hicks seems like a good guy and since he asks his followers to please review his books and offers this one for free I felt obliged to give it some thought.

The boo
Kogiopsis
nope. 19% and I'm saving myself the headache and quitting now. This book is the CakeWrecks version of Warchild and as I have already read the better story, I don't feel like continuing. However, for those considering this book, the first 19% has the following:
- a boy whose parents get heroically killed but who himself is inexplicably spared by the aliens
- said boy saving an (older) girl from attempted rape
- the rapist trying again later (in great detail both times)
- it turns out the boy is the o
Teri
Jun 27, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2011
I wish I could give 1/2 stars, because this is a solid 3 1/2 star book. I actually got it as a free download for my Kindle (it's still free on Amazon at the the moment, by the way) and read it as it was highly recommended. I will say that it's one of the best free reads I've encountered. It isn't a bad book actually, but the first 1/3 is, well, veeerrry sloooow, so minus 1 star for that. If you're thinking of reading it, stick around for at least 50 pages after he gets off Hallmark, it gets bett ...more
Richard
What this story is and what it's not

Let's be clear: I liked this story. I read the free edition of the first book and the bought the omnibus edition, which includes the next two books. I wish I could give this one 3.5 stars because I see promise - but need a little more. Let's also be clear: there's no science fiction here - at least no more than Star Wars or the John Carter stories. The setting happens to be in the far future, on different planets, and involving a race of humanoid aliens. Scien
Lee Gunter
Jul 28, 2012 Lee Gunter rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was a really good story, actually. I recommend trying an unknown author now and then to anyone who truly loves to read. At one point i started trying to make a list of the borrowed elements I found included in the book. They included Romeo & Juliet, Ender's Game, Enemy Mine, Avatar, John Carter of Mars, Les Miserable, Messianic prophesies, King David and even passing elements of eroticism. And I'm sure I've forgotten some as well.

So, as I said, the story was good, the writing was most o
Lady Jessica
Mar 13, 2012 Lady Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book actually gave me the adventure I was looking for. More than that, it held my attention. A pleasant and timely surprise after a recent run of bad science fiction reads. However, it does have downsides.

The book starts out slow. There's plenty of action first thing but none of it fits together in a way that pulls the reader into a greater story. Combined with unnerving switchbacks in point of view and no real sense of a main character, it's no surprise that I almost stopped reading withou
Daniel Swensen
Aug 18, 2012 Daniel Swensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, space-opera
So on one hand, this book covers some pretty well-tread science fiction ground. Young boy is orphaned (twice), captured by aliens, learns about their culture, then becomes better at being an alien than any of the other aliens. Sound familiar? Oh, and they're all tall, blue, and have fangs, and are a primitive warrior race (only not really). If it weren't for the publication dates, I might have been suspicious. There's also a prophecy about a super-special chosen one, and a star-crossed alien lov ...more
J.L. Dobias
Feb 13, 2013 J.L. Dobias rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-shelf-10
Empire(In Her Name:Redemption) by Michael Hicks

I received this book free and what a bargain. This book reminded me of C.J. Cherryh's Faded Sun series. Mix that with James Clavell's Shogun (I have only seen the mini series- not read book). And an eerie shades of William Golding's Lord of the Flies.

We first meet Reza as a seven year old whose parents are fighting a deadly battle against the Kreelan's. The safe place where he had been was under attack and he came looking for his parents. He arriv
Alastair Rosie
Sep 02, 2012 Alastair Rosie rated it really liked it
Having just finished this book I can honestly say that it's well worth a second read just to absorb yourself in the world Hicks has created. It's part Gladiator, part Dances With Wolves but it is space opera and it's perhaps unfortunate that Avatar had blue skinned aliens too but I think Hicks' blue skinned Amazonian aliens are way cooler and much more exciting.
It starts with the main character Reza being orphaned and meeting the Kreelan high priestess. He marks her with a knife and she respond
Deborah Hughes
Nov 28, 2011 Deborah Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read from the sci-fi genre since Star Wars first came out and I'm not sure what led me to this one, but I downloaded it onto my kindle and gave it a try. I was hooked from the first page and couldn't put the thing down! Morning sure comes early when you've been awake most of the night reading. Normally I don't like books that have anything to do with war (the alien Kreelans are at war with the human race) and yet this book captured my imagination, flung me into a world that became quit ...more
Douglas Bittinger
Jul 05, 2011 Douglas Bittinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In progress:

The story starts out with a futuristic society as war with alien invaders - always a popular theme. It follows one young man to another world, and another society. Still good science. When he ends up on yet another world living among a people who live like primitives and live for warfare with swords, the story veers close enough to becoming fantasy that I was becoming concerned. However, this story is one of the few that, though written in a fantasy style, I continue to enjoy. And I
Dewanna L. Durbin
May 21, 2012 Dewanna L. Durbin rated it it was amazing
I have found my new Sci-fi author! If you enjoy books like "Star Wars", "Dune", or Anne McCaffrey's "Dragons of Pern" series, then you will absolutely LOVE Michael Hicks' "In Her Name - Empire".

I was immediately sucked in from the first sentence and didn't want to put the book down to go to sleep. Needless, to say, I was sad to reach the end of the book and have to surface to reality once more.

The action/fight scenes are realist and believable. The plot did not drag or lose focus. I can usuall
Lisa Yarde
Sep 07, 2011 Lisa Yarde rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
In the distant future, Reza Gard, an orphan of a horrific war with ruthless aliens, finds the courage to survive against desperate odds. In doing so, he learns as much about his enemy, the Kreelans, as he does about inner strength. Through trying circumstances, physical and mental stresses and the bitter loss of all he has ever known and loved, Reza grows from a child to a man. As his understanding and abilities grow under the tutelage of the Kreelans who have captured him, he seems poised for a ...more
Tricia Skinner
Nov 23, 2014 Tricia Skinner rated it it was amazing
I gave this book a chance and am left mind blown. To say this story is epic is an understatement. Reza's tale begins with the gripping battle his parents fight to defend their overrun city. At only seven, he sees more than any child should of brutality and loss. He also faces the enemy with a bravery that is uncommon in adults. We are taken through periods of his life and each grips you in a new way. Everything he experiences is vivid and thus you cannot help but continue reading. The decisions ...more
Victoria
Feb 20, 2014 Victoria rated it liked it
I downloaded this book, "Empire: In Her Name" free from BookBub. With free e-books, you take your chances on getting a good book. This was surprisingly well-written. A cross between Star Wars and Avatar, the action starts on a dystopian planet of humans that is invaded by the Kreelans. When Reza is taken as "spoils of war" to the planet of the Kreelans, he must learn their ways in order to survive. The end was totally unexpected. The book is part of a trilogy that I can't wait to finish. Excitin ...more
Cameluta
This book is amazing, a definitely five star book.

This is the first book in the "In Her name" series. Most of the action of this book takes place in the Kreela Empire which is beautifully and very realistically described. The story is very well written and it keeps you captivated all the time. There is a lot of action/plots in the book, but also it is touching and emotional. What I really liked about "Empire", is that you don't know where the story takes you, and what to expect on the next page.
Terri Pray
Apr 09, 2012 Terri Pray rated it really liked it
Fantastic world building, great characters, and a compelling story. I wasn't sure, going into reading this one, how I would enjoy it and honestly, I'm hooked.

The relationship between Reza and Esha isn't one you expect, especially seeing as her people see humanity as nothing more than soulless animals. The slow change of that viewpoint is one that Reza earns. It's not given to him, it's not easy and not quick at all.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy, which I already have lo
Eva Rose
I had a hard time reading this book, it is so bleak and terrible, I also must admit to being bore by the premise that sounds cookie cutter at best. Hicks needs to get an editor to trimmed his sentences because this book has sentences in sentences. I was also a little triggered by the child abuse, I understand it happens but can we not used words such as "he grabbed her budding breast" because that is just not right.
Cass
Jan 08, 2012 Cass rated it liked it

I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

The Kreelan story was incredibly interesting and Reza made for an entertaining lead. I bought into the characters and the way of life.

It wasn't a really memorable story so I will keep the review brief. I did read the sequels which really where not as good.
Peggy Bechko
Excellent read right up to the end after a slightly slow start. Wonderful action/adventure SciFi/Fantasy tale of the clash of cultures - human and alien. Exciting, engaging and makes me want to read more. And so I shall since there is a sequel scheduled. Read this on my new Kindle Fire and loved it.
David Donaghe
Feb 23, 2012 David Donaghe rated it it was amazing
I'm not really the Sword and Sorcery type of guy, but when you throw in spaces ships, a galactic war mixing it up with hard science fiction, I'll come along for the ride. I really enjoyed, In her name: empire. I think I'll read the next two books in the trilogy. I highly recommend this book.
Lisa Autry
Nov 25, 2015 Lisa Autry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This is a well told story of the makings of a warrior.I could hardly wait for the next turn of events as the pages turned. I loved this book and highly recommend it. Its a joy to read.
Wycliffe Kutexa
Jun 03, 2015 Wycliffe Kutexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ook.. On this one, all i can say.. Thanx 4 the amazing storyline.. N unbroken scenery..
Jimmy C Saunders
A real page turner!

I just couldn't put it down. It grabbed me from the first chapter and kept me glued to it till I finally finished it.
Cynthia Irey
Feb 13, 2017 Cynthia Irey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Fiction book.

I enjoyed reading this book because there is a lot of imagination. Loved the part about the Kreelan's home world and how they survived thorough eons of time. You will relate to this book as Star Trek followers do.
Motherbeaver
May 07, 2017 Motherbeaver rated it it was amazing
Great sci-fi space opera.
Toby
Jan 03, 2014 Toby rated it liked it
This is a review of In Her Name, Empire by Michael H. Hicks. I first saw this on my kindle, and because I could borrow this book for free and that it had fairly good reviews, I picked it. I did not read the description in detail, and I was expecting a more war oriented book where the humans struggle against the aliens in many battles, and die or succeed. I also anticipated amazing futuristic technologies that hold some realism. It was more a romance and coming of age story then my expectation.
Laurie Green
Feb 05, 2012 Laurie Green rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: SF fans who love intricate cultural world-building and epic adventure that spans several novels
I purchased Empire a year ago and started to read, but couldn't finish it. The beginning was gripping enough (and very important to what comes later) but after some thirty pages, the book felt a little TOO YA coming of age focused, more than an adult SF. Truth be told, it was the stunning cover that sold me on buying the novel, more than the story blurb.

Honestly, I should have kept reading.

When I picked Empire up again, the story really began to show promise and soon became an engrossing adult
Leeland Artra
Jan 25, 2013 Leeland Artra rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Short Version: Overall the story telling is good and I did get caught up in some points where I stayed up late just to get through the scene. I am curious to see where this story goes.

Details: Michael Hicks created an interesting universe of vast empires. Empire the first book of his career and book one of the trilogy In Her Name spins a fantastic tale across two space fairing cultures, humans and Kreelan. The book is a good read.

At its core Empire is a coming of age story. But, it is also a spa
Leo Stableford
Dec 18, 2012 Leo Stableford rated it really liked it
When I finished Empire I found myself having to ask my wife: If someone gave you a book that claimed to be a space opera what would you expect to happen in the story? She replied that she would have expected space ships, laser battles and aliens. By which count Empire scores 1 out of 3, it does contain aliens. In most other respects, however, this is not a space opera, rather it is a swords and sandals fantasy, in the vein of Conan the Barbarian, with space opera-y trappings.

What's even weirder
Madison Mega-Mara...: "In Her Name" Empire" by Michael R. Hicks 1 2 Jun 10, 2012 02:21PM
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3; Spinward Fringe, #0)
  • The Sea of Storms (Lodestone, #1)
  • The Last Praetorian (The Redemption Trilogy, #1)
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • The Making of Legend (Cerebral Network, #1)
  • Forbidden the Stars (The Interstellar Age, #1)
  • The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #1)
  • Wolf Dawn (Forsaken Worlds, #1)
  • The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy
  • The Honour of the Knights (The Battle for the Solar System)
  • The Gods of Dream
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Right Ascension
  • Queen of Arlin (The Cyber Chronicles, #1)
  • Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Bright of the Sky (Entire and the Rose, #1)
  • The Fringe Worlds (Human Chronicles, #1)
Born in 1963, Michael Hicks grew up in the age of the Apollo program and spent his youth glued to the television watching the original Star Trek series and other science fiction movies, which continues to be a source of entertainment and inspiration. Having spent the majority of his life as a voracious reader, he has been heavily influenced by writers ranging from Robert Heinlein to David Weber, a ...more
More about Michael R. Hicks...

In Her Name: Redemption (3 books)
  • Confederation (In Her Name: Redemption, #2)
  • Final Battle (In Her Name: Redemption, #3)

“every day that you let yourself do just that, just the stuff you have to do to get by, even when you’re so tired you can’t see straight, you die just a little bit. Not much, not so much that you notice that day, or even the next, but just a little. Your mind starts eroding, and you start forgetting about anything that you used to think was interesting or important, whether anyone else thought it was or not. Pretty soon, all the useless crap that we do here becomes more and more important to you, as if it really had some meaning.” 0 likes
“When you come in here and pick up one of these,” he gestured at Hamlet, “or even watch one of the crappy holos out in the main room, you’re not just an orphaned kid marooned on a dustbowl planet anymore, with no more rights than any slave might have. It’s a way out of here. You’re a hero, or a villain, or anything else you could imagine, and a lot of things you probably can’t. Every time you turn a page you can go somewhere, even someplace that’s never been. But anywhere you go is somewhere far away from here. And the best part about it, the part that keeps me alive and sane, is that the words in the books leave a lot of blanks that your mind has to fill in. It makes your mind work without you forcing it to, and you get better and better at it without killing yourself like you have to sometimes in the fields.” 0 likes