Start by marking “Meeow and the Big Box” as Want to Read:
Meeow and the Big Box

Meeow and the Big Box (Meeow)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  233 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Meeow loves to draw, paint and make things.
Published July 1st 2009 by Boxer Books

To ask other readers questions about Meeow and the Big Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meeow and the Big Box

Casandria
Feb 12, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler, picture
Simple story that reminded me a lot of Maisy books. We can definitely use it some day in toddler story time!
Eva Kelly
Oct 15, 2014 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it
You know what my opinion is about baby books? I didn't like them at first because they're little and they're made of cardboard and I bet babies chew on them and get them all messy (even though they don't ever smell like throwup like that ONE book we got did). But now that I started reading them I can see that even though they're for babies, the words are easy and I can read most of them. So maybe they're good after all. They're just heavy that's all, and all that other stuff.
This one had lots of
Robin
Feb 18, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
Meeow paints his cardboard box red, adds accessories (chair, mug) and sounds to create a fire engine.

Great for toddler storytime (on boxes, building, or fire trucks) -- very bold print, big bold illustrations.

First American Edition, 2009 (First published in Great Britain, 2009)

Medium: hand painted line shapes were digitized and assembled, then colored.

Author lives in England, studied fine arts in Strasbourg, France.
Heidi
It's not the best book written. It's not even that clever. But I had plenty of ideas for a toddler storytime come to me as I read it, so I thought "Perfect!" We'll see how it goes.

6/22/10 & 6/24/10 It did work perfectly! I made a color wheel and cut out black and white pictures of a cat, box, paint, block, chair, and mug. Asked them which were the correct colors for the items and pasted them next to the right ones on the color wheel. The Tue. group was full of kids much older than toddler. (
Aimee
Dec 16, 2015 Aimee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: babies and 2 year olds
Shelves: childrens, read-kids
French children's book authors come up with some weird stuff... This one's no exception. But it's really cute.

Meeow (yes, with two E's) has a box. What's he going to do with it? Paint it red and make it a firetruck. I think this would be a great read for babies and 2 year olds because of the simple language and the funny sounds. It's a good color book for that age group too, because it only covers four colors (and mostly red, of course).
Angie
Jun 06, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Meet MEEOW. He’s one cool, creative cat—and an irresistible new character from best-selling author-illustrator Sebastien Braun.

Like every child, Meeow loves to draw, paint, and make things. His adventures in imaginative play will inspire young readers to see what marvelous things they can do, too. With Braun’s appealing characters, brightly colored pictures, and simple text, this is a series that all toddlers will adore."

My Review: This is a very cute little book about Meeow the cat.
Karen Mahtin
Jul 25, 2014 Karen Mahtin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
a book from our first library visit (17 months). He loves this book. He has even imitated Meeow. The only thing is that the sound that the "fire engine" makes is not like how fire engines sound in the US
Tiffany
Jan 04, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very creative, can give children ideas on how to be creative and imaginative with their playtime. Digitized, assembled, and colored hand-painted line shapes are fun and eye-catching.
Marya
Sep 20, 2010 Marya rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A rather quirky book that features a chorus of adoration sure to disturb/annoy any parent who has given praise for seemingly menial tasks (you pooped in the potty! Good job!). Here, Meeow uses his craft supplies to create a prop for his imagination. Whenever he does something as narrated by the third person (say, lifts a large box), he is praised for it by said unseen narrator (Clever Meeow!). It's rather creepy not knowing where this mocking (ok, as I parent I just found it mocking) voice comes ...more
Barbara
Oct 17, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun book for toddlers to encourage color recognition and imagination. Meeow paints a huge box and creates a whole new world.
Camille
Dec 11, 2012 Camille rated it liked it
I think this is a perfect book to segue into an imagination art activity with, but you need a creative and open-minded audience to share it with.
The art activity I tried involved cardboard pieces (I'd saved a bunch of cardboard backing they pack pamphlets with)and I told them that this was their "box" and gave them some collage supplies and asked them to use their imagination like Meeow and make something out of their box. Didn't work. They just wanted to color and stick foam pieces all over it
Kristin Fletcher-spear
good for colors, imagination, creativity. I could see this as a flannel board or a starting point for a storytime/craft event.
Emma
Sep 11, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
Easy story to understand for my 3 year-old girl. She loved it and asked me to read a few times.
Amar Pai
Jul 08, 2014 Amar Pai rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Why am I even rating this? It's a baby book for babies! Nevertheless (frowns gravely): 2 stars.
Joy Lane
Dec 21, 2015 Joy Lane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love bilingual books and the cat is cute
Lauren
May 21, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creativity, colors, imagination
Dian
May 24, 2010 Dian rated it really liked it
Shelves: rasyad-fav
Rasyad suka banget buku ini *sampe hr ini. Karena, ada si kucing (binatang yg familiar), gunting , gelas biru (mirip punya rasyad) dan mobil pemadam kebakaran. semua benda2 yg ada disitu diulang2..satu kali dibacain..dia lsg hafal semua benda2 itu ^^. Ceritanya sederhana tapi menarik. ga banyak plot satu plot dan simple idea. Sayangnya...Buku pinjeman perpus ini hrs segera dikembalikan krn sudah diperpanjang terus...
Nora
Jan 20, 2014 Nora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children learning Spanish
Grace reads this out loud, in espanol, and loves it. Great story.
Lindsay
I used the bilingual (Spanish/English) version of Meeow and the Big Box, Miau y la Caja Grande, for a transportation themed program for both Spanish and bilingual story times. I just love the Meeow books. This is one is just as brightly colored as the others, and the simple text is just great for a story time setting. In this one, Meeow turns a cardboard box into a firetruck!
Kristen
This is a simple little book that I'm not sure completely works. I read it in my toddler story time and while the kids seemed to like it okay, I feel like it's a bit confusing. What is the green box for, really? I like the overall idea (have a box, turn it in to whatever you like), and the blocky, big pictures make it a good story time read, but I wasn't enthralled.
Lucia
Apr 29, 2010 Lucia rated it it was ok
This was an enjoyable book and put me in mind of Not a Box. As I was reading it I thought the two books would go well together for a storytime. and then it just seemed to stop short. I wanted Meeow to DO something in the box instead of just showing the reader what the box could be turned into (and it was only one thing.)
Burbank Library Children's Department
Just what is Meeow going to do with that big brown box? You'll have to read the book to find out! This book is yet another wonderful addition to the series in which Meeow uses imagination and ingenuity to create amazing things out of ordinary objects (like big brown boxes)! Meeow is a storytime favorite!!
Brooklyn Saplings
Feb 06, 2013 Brooklyn Saplings rated it really liked it
Great book and nice surprise at the end. A couple kids started to break out the toys before the book was over, but I think it was more due to the fact that it was a second book. High contrast images worked well for the babies and younger tots in the group!
Christie Suh
Mar 24, 2010 Christie Suh rated it liked it
A book about a cat named Meeow. A good predictive book for young children. They intoduce him and his big box. In each page he is doing something to a box such as painting it red. We figure out at the end of the story he made a fire engine.
Jane
Mar 11, 2011 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Picturebook about a mouse that creates a fire truck with a box, scissors and a chair. Stresses primary colors. Part of a series in which the black cat named meeow creates things with an assortment of everyone pieces and people.
Edna
What does Meeow make with a big brown box, some red paint, green scissors, an orange chair and blue mug? This book uses short simple text and very simple illustrations to show Meeow's creativity.
Vicki
Dec 11, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, tiny-tots
With its large print/text this is a perfect book for toddlers. The illustrations are good size. This is a bit of a book about being creative, colors, and imagination. Just about purr-fect!
Alice Hudson
The illustrations are really nice but the story was bland. Needs rhyming words or something so younger children will enjoy listening to it. But it's really cute
Elvira
Jun 19, 2013 Elvira rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I read the bilingual book in Spanish and it was great. My 4 mos. loved the pictures and bold colors, and the story was simple and fun.
Libby
Nov 15, 2012 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, j
Meeow is pure toddler in all his glory. This story was just right for my two year old who loves fire fighters and cats.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Birthday Box
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Two at the Zoo
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Red Wagon
  • Red Truck
  • This Little Chick
  • Do Cows Meow?
  • Oink-a-Doodle-Moo
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea
"I’m French and studied fine and applied arts at Strasbourg University.
I taught applied arts before becoming a freelance illustrator, first of all for editorial clients in Paris.
When I moved to London in 2000 I developed my illustrations for children and since then have been
working exclusively on children’s picture books.

If you’d like more information about my work, please drop me a line.
I’m a mem
More about Sebastien Braun...

Meeow (4 books)