Start by marking “The House at Salvation Creek” as Want to Read:
The House at Salvation Creek

The House at Salvation Creek

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Continuing the story of Susan Duncan's much-loved memoir, Salvation Creek,thisbookpicks up after Bob and Susan marry and, two years later, move from her Tin Shed into his "pale yellow house on the high, rough hill," Tarrangaua, built for the iconic Australian poet, Dorothea Mackellar. Set against the backdrop of the small, close-knit Pittwater community with its colorful c ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Random House Australia (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The House at Salvation Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House at Salvation Creek

Interesting. Its mainly about living in Dorothea Mackellars house in Pittwater and trying to find out about the house. Its also about the community there and life. Its pretty life affirming and positive despite the book beginning with her brother and husband dying within 3 days of each other, her getting cancer but surviving and then her next door neighbours wife also gets cancer, but dies - she and the husband get together, fall in love after a these tragedies and move into the house (I think t ...more
As a continuation of Salvation Creek, this book continues the life of Susan Duncan in her life post cancer. It was beautifully written and a book that reminded me how wonderful the small things in our everyday lives should be cherished and enjoyed. Friends, family, love and food!
Listened to as an audio book read by the author Susan Duncan. Duncan whilst not a professional reader was preety good. Both her reading of her story and the story itself was such that I didn't want to put it down. Interesting historical information on Dorethea McKellar, both funny and touching stories about her life on Pittwater and some lovely personal and oh so true reflections on the meaning of life and getting older.
A memoir, continuing Susan's story from Salvation Creek, as she marries Bob and settles even more into life at Pittwater. I love the sense of community there; magic for the residents. This book investigates the history of the house Tarrangaua, originally Dorothea McKellar's. Fascinating.
I read this a few years ago. I enjoyed this book but not as much as 'Salvation Creek' which was the prelude to this book.
I actually couldn't finish this. I had loved her first book, so found this disappointing. A disjointed collection of anecdotes. Interesting for a perspective on living on Pittwater, but a shame there wasn't a stronger narrative structure to the book, or more compelling reflections. Gave up after about a third of the way in.
Christina Wedgwood
It wanders a bit, with a sporadic semblance of a plot-line, but not a bad way to while away a holiday day...
Very disappointing. The first book was definitely better, and seemed to have more purpose. Although this book explored who the architect of Dorothy McKellar's house may have been, it wasn't a particularly interesting issue for me, and to be honest I dont really mind who it was. I found this book to have less purpose and consequently was much less interesting. Didnt hold my interest, skimmed parts.
Amanda Rees
Not as good as the first one but glad I read it all the same. I enjoyed it :-)
An excellent little book which really does stand as a testament to what people are capable of coping with, without the usual decline into melodrama and pathos. You really wish you could sit down, share a bottle of wine and some wonderful lemon cake with this amazingly resilient author. And, oh, did I mention it's always quite a delightful little love story?
Karen Hunt
Follow up to her first biography, this is less of a novel and more a collection of stories. It doesn’t really have a plot, but is more like sitting and having a chat with someone. Because of that it took me a while to get into it, but by the end I quite liked it – it’s more about a state of being and a mood than a novel.
The follow-up to 'Salvation Creek': one of the few biographies/autobiographies that I've picked up and become as completely engaged with as I would a novel. I want a tinny!
Jacqueline Burgin
This book was remarkable. the author shared her inner-most feelings and followed her dream of living in a remote and beautiful environment and following her heart.
Susan Duncan is a great (real -life) story teller and I loved this book almost as much as her first. She makes me want to live somewhere I know I wouldn't last a minute!
Excellent memoir and interesting info on Dorothy McKellar Aussie poet who built the house and wrote" I love A Sunburnt Country"
A good read as well but did not enjoy it as much as the 1st in this sequel. It was a bit drawn out in parts.
Louise Poole
Interesting to read about life in Pittwater bit a fairly weak story!
Jul 31, 2015 Karen added it
Shelves: read-already
Enjoyed the Salvation Creek series.
Lucy Caughey
Loved it, highly recommend it
Janelle Cretney
Dull and uneventful
Aug 03, 2009 Naomi marked it as to-read
Xmas 2008
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Parky: My Autobiography
  • Never Say Die
  • Green Vanilla Tea: One Family's Extraordinary Journey of Love, Hope, and Remembering
  • Judy: A Dog In A Million
  • Gang of Four
  • A Century of Wisdom: Lessons from the Life of Alice Herz-Sommer, the World's Oldest Living Holocaust Survivor
  • The Dig Tree: The Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier
  • Floodtide
  • Foreign Correspondence: A Pen Pal's Journey from Down Under to All Over
  • The Golden Age
  • The Islands
  • Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6)
  • Hope's Road
  • The Ballad of Les Darcy
  • Nest
  • The art of the engine driver
  • From Strength To Strength: An Autobiography
  • Vietnam: The Australian War
Susan Duncan enjoyed a 25-year career spanning radio, newspaper and magazine journalism, including editing two of Australia's top selling women's magazines, The Australian Women's Weekly and New Idea. She now lives in her own patch of offshore paradise, Pittwater, with her second husband, Bob, in the beautiful home built for poet Dorothea Mackellar in 1925.

Susan's bestselling memoir, Salvation Cre
More about Susan Duncan...
Salvation Creek The Briny Cafe Gone Fishing A Life on Pittwater Salvation Creek : An unexpected Life