Start by marking “The Lady & Sons Just Desserts: More Than 120 Sweet Temptations from Savannah's Favorite Restaurant” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,289 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
[ The Lady & Sons Just Desserts: More Than 120 Sweet Temptations from Savannah's Favorite Restaurant Deen, Paula H. ( Author ) ] { Hardcover } 2006
Published April 10th 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady & Sons Just Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady & Sons Just Desserts

Alexandra
Nov 09, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was ok
Nothing really stood out to me. I didn't find any recipes I would use. A lot of the recipes involve shortcuts, and I prefer to do everything from scratch. Also, there were no pictures. Sometimes seeing something makes me want to make it, more so than the recipe. This was disappointing.
Barry Huddleston
Jan 22, 2012 Barry Huddleston rated it really liked it
Recently, Paula Deen has been taking some heat after announcing that she suffers from diabetes. While I understand questions about some of the dishes that she prepares, I struggle to understand to understand the personal attacks. Being one of the most politically incorrect people you will ever meet, I decided to review Paula Deen’s dessert cookbook.

I enjoyed the glossy color pictures of what the desserts could look like, but I would like to have seen a lot more of them. The desserts were fabulou
Virginia Campbell
Oct 15, 2011 Virginia Campbell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The real sweetness found in "The Lady & Sons Just Desserts" lies not only in the delightful recipes, but also in the the family stories and the genuine love of cooking that prevails throughout the pages. The introduction written by Paula Deen is a fascinating mini-autobiography that follows Paula's early years through her young first marriage, the start of her restaurant business, her introduction to TV Land, and how she met Michael Groover, who would later become her second husband. Paula ...more
Shannon
Nov 24, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing
As I was staring at my lovely cookbook shelf the other day (as I often do...), I realized that I've never rated this book. Truth be told, I'm not really a fan of Paula Deen. At one point in time I was crazy about my fellow southern lady. Now? Not so much, but that's ok. Her dessert recipes are still the bomb.com. I don't rate cookbooks unless I've tried multiple recipes that have proved successful. I can firmly say that this cookbook has never let me down. I've used it for wedding showers, ...more
Christy Hertz
Sep 11, 2007 Christy Hertz rated it it was amazing
awesome, thanks to my sister Heidi for this delicious dessert book! Made the Italian creme cake for an Italian themed Bunko party at a friend's house who is a chef/ attended the NY Culinary Institute. I was a little "scared," but she loved it and she said it was a hit with her dad too, who ate the leftover cake.
Amy "the book-bat"
May 21, 2011 Amy "the book-bat" rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
So many of the recipes sound so delicious and they appear to be easy to make. I am definitely going to have a good time cooking from this one. I particularly loved the shout out to the Savannah College of Art and Design in one of Paula's little essays. I went to school there! I wish I would have known about Paula Deen and her restaurant when I lived in Savannah.
Kimberly
Dec 18, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I have used this cookbook so many times since I received it as a gift. The recipes are classic, comfort food style with simple, clear directions. They use easy to find ingredients and tools which make using the book quick and fun. Our family's favorite recipes include The Gooey Butter Cakes, Miss Helen's Easter Eggs, and The Best Bread Pudding.
Danalee
Sep 28, 2007 Danalee rated it it was amazing
I could be biased just from loving Jamie and Bobby so much, but honestly some scrumptious recipes to be found inside this treasure. Of course my book rocks because it has Paula's signature inside the front cover.
Amy
Dec 17, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookingstuff
Another treasure of recipes. I think I love this one because it's full of recipes that my grandmothers/family have been making for years but also has a lot of different types of recipes I've never heard of or made.
Megan Gross
Nov 12, 2013 Megan Gross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: NANI
I loved this book. great recipes, great stories. AND A great author. Her recipes were delicious. Southwest Georgia pound cake was my favorite. all the recipes were delicious!!!! if you love sweets, buy this book. it's a great finish for any meal. And you'll NEVER regret it, I promise.
Tori
Feb 17, 2013 Tori rated it it was amazing
I have made several recipes from this book, including cookies (Stick to Your Teeth Cookies) that a coworker now makes for potlucks and a cake (Better than Sex Cake) that I've given as a gift. I was unhappy with the peanut cluster recipe because it used bark, but I should have known better.
Alexi
Jan 22, 2016 Alexi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the personal stories that were sprinkled through this book. It didn't have any pictures and many of he recipes weren't something I'd actually make, but if you're also someone who just enjoys reading through cookbooks, I'd give it a try.
Samantha
May 08, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Her recipes, especially her desserts, are to die for! They're filled with butter, butter, and more butter. Don't forget, she's the Butter Queen!
Camie
Jun 09, 2008 Camie rated it really liked it
Can Paula do anything wrong?
I just adore the stories in the front of this book, not to mention the delish recipes inside! :)
Mary
Mar 02, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Can you say Gooey Butter Cakes? Enough! I've made probably 1/2 of the desserts in this cookbook, and only one didn't turn out. (I can NEVER get jelly-rolls to work!)
Suzanne
I bought this when we ate at The Lady & Sons restaurant for the first time. There are so many yummy looking recipes in this book.
Lisa
Aug 13, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Do you love desserts? This is the only cookbook you will need. Make sure you make Paula's famous Ooey-Gooey Cake. I recommend making the chocolate one. Its to die for!
Kristen
Oct 09, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
There are some yummy, fattening recipes in this book - all containing one major ingredient - BUTTER!
Sia
Sia rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Greta Sue
Greta Sue rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Denise Bentley
Denise Bentley rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2009
william wolf
william wolf rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Carrie Elaine
Carrie Elaine rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Gina Martinez
Gina Martinez rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2012
Susan williams
Susan williams rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
Kathy Weidner
Kathy Weidner rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Anthony Izomor
Anthony Izomor rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
  • Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • The Taste of Home Baking Book
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Fannie Farmer Baking Book
  • Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • The All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook: Over 1,250 of Our Best Recipes
  • Fannie Flagg's Original Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook
  • Rachael Ray 2, 4, 6, 8: Great Meals for Couples or Crowds
Paula Deen (born Paula Ann Hiers) is an American cook, restaurateur, author, actress and Emmy Award-winning television personality.

Deen resides in Savannah, Georgia, where she owns and operates The Lady & Sons restaurant with her sons, Jamie and Bobby Deen. She has also published five cookbooks. Though married in 2004 to Michael Anthony Groover, she continues to use the surname Deen from her f
More about Paula H. Deen...