Start by marking “Death At Buckingham Palace: Her Majesty Investigates” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Death At Buckingham Pa...

C.C. Benison

Death At Buckingham Palace: Her Majesty Investigates (Her Majesty Investigates #1)

Landing a housemaid's position at Buckingham Palace, Jane Bee is called upon to assist the queen when a dear friend, who has recently announced his engagement, falls dead from an apparent suicide.
329 pages
Published April 4th 1997 by Pan (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Death At Buckingham Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death At Buckingham Palace

Karen Witzler
Dec 09, 2012 Karen Witzler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cozy mystery featuring housemaid Jane Bee and QEII. Next is Murder at Sandringham House.
Kyrie
Oct 18, 2014 Kyrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was a good story, although I thought the conclusion went on a bit long. It did tie everything up, so no complaints there.

I was amused by how the English apparently look down on the Canadians as "Americans" and the Canadians dislike it.

Learned some bits of history while reading it, too.
Mimi
Dec 29, 2016 Mimi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gosh I wanted to like this book more than I did. How could it be so...so...lifeless? It had Canadians (love em), England (love 'em) and corgis (really love 'em!!!) but things didn't seem to go much of anywhere and the ending was incredibly tedious. I might like it on a second reading but with the piles and piles of eager volunteers waiting be devoured..("Pick me", "Read me", "No, I'm better, pick me!"), the odds are zero, I'll get back to it. I will give the author another try, but there's books ...more
Aoife
The main character in this book is Jane. Jane is Canadian. That means she is from Canada. Jane likes Canada. Very much. She likes Canadian beer and she finds lots of things the English say or do a bit weird. She will point out all these things to the reader. Just like the fact that she is Canadian. The reader might get slightly annoyed at the gazilion mentions of English weirdness.
To be fair it is not done in a 'Oh look Canada is awesome and England sucks'-way but not mentioning every single che
Laurel Bradshaw
I just love books that feature the current Queen of England as a character. Although the idea of Her Majesty collaborating with a housemaid may seem improbably silly, it is all great fun. Jane is a plucky young Canadian taking a year off from school and staying with her great-aunt Grace in England. Short of cash, and not wanting to return home to Prince Edward Island, she gets a job in Buckingham Palace. The time period is a few years after the Queen's "annus horribilis" but before the death of ...more
writer...
Filled with wit and dry humour, Canadian author, CC Benison, offers a colourful 1st in his series, Her Majesty Investigates.

Canadian house maid at Buckingham Palace as protagonist, Jane Bee, performs double duty as she privately investigates the loss of a fellow Canadian footman along with collecting her missing dustcloth from various rooms, running errands for HM, and scraping bubblegum from Axminsters in state and banquet rooms. Private discussions with Her Majesty imaginatively picture the tw
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I have just discovered this excellent humorous murder mystery series. The Queen (Mother) is dismayed to find herself falling over the dead body of her footman. The first on the scene is housemaid, Jane Bee. The two quickly realize that it isn't suicide, as the Palace is rumoring, but murder.

Working together, Jane and the Queen, find secrets of high order. This book was an updated look at the Queen and life within Buckingham Palace.

I loved the humor and behind the scenes glimpses of daily life. T
Dawn Tutt
Spent the day at the beach and read this cover to cover. It's a very light mystery which provides lots of suspects to choose from but still once I read the wrapping it all up chapter I was left with a couple of things that either I missed while reading or they were written a little too vague. All in all entertaining, this is the second of this series that I have read and I will definitely read the third one.
Kathie
Feb 17, 2014 Kathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read for a long winter day. Liked the heroine who is smart and likable. I guess it is believable that the Queen would enlist her help. The Queen was made to seem really smart which she probably is. (Although I know it is a made up character based on you know who.) There were a few too many characters to keep track of but I managed. I especially liked the map of Buck House so I could keep track of where everyone was in the story. Now I know what Mother keeps in her purse. haha
Alli Moore
Jun 10, 2010 Alli Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is really good!!!
i really enjoyed being in the adventure with the narrator Jane Bee because she added every detail that was needed. i loved how the author kept the readers interested by giving them a lot of suspects with perfectly good motives to kill the young Robin Tukes. for these reasons, the book became awesome.
Carol
May 11, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A humorous murder mystery book taking place within the Buckingham Palace. The story is told by the character of
Jane Bee who is a young housemaid working in the Palace. It gave a glimpses of the daily life inside the Palace plus descriptions of the various rooms. It is a quick, fast paced, murder mystery puzzle.
Jessica
Sep 18, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Over all I enjoyed this book, but I can't describe it as fantastic. It's a story about a Buckingham Palace maid who stumbles upon the Queen finding a dead footman outside the apartments. The story follows the maid as she pieces the clues when everyone believes it was a suicide. This was a fun summer read and I recommend it if you are looking for fluff.
Doreen
Jun 30, 2010 Doreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sprightly mystery that isn't too far-fetched (though one does wonder at the lack of security surrounding the Queen.) I'd definitely recommend it for anyone interested in class distinctions in England, or for anyone interested in a cozy mystery novel. A good mystery, with a charming heroine whom I look forward to reading more of.
Nicole
Oct 23, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Jane Bee, a Canadian visiting England, answered a newspaper ad for a job and became a maid on the royal staff of Queen Elzabeth. Jane secretly works for the Queen in discovering what has happened. The reason she knows how to proceed is based on her parents experience since Jane's father was a Mountie and her mother a journalist.
Kiran
Jul 25, 2009 Kiran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
An easy, fun read with cute albeit unrealistic interaction between Jane Bee (our protagonist) and the Queen. While the mystery is set in London specifically at Buckingham Palace where Jane Bee works as a housemaid, do not expect an Agatha Christie like read.
Barbara
C.C. Benison---Canadian author---aka Doug Whiteway

Enjoyed this read.

Jane Bee, a Canadian, works as a housemaid at Buckingham Place, and aids the Queen in finding the murderer of a footman, that the Queen literally falls over outside her private apartments.
Beth
Jan 03, 2012 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable - I love the cameo appearances by the Queen and the below-the-stairs look at the Royal Household.
Katie
Light but fun escapism reading.
Carolyn
Jan 02, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick, mindless read, which was what I wanted.
Bruth George
Amusing concept
Meredith
Funny, I didn't expect it to take place in the 90s ... maybe because so much of what I read that's set in England takes place in other centuries.
Trish
Aug 26, 2009 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A mystery with an entertaining, if unusual, premise, with amusing characters and, of course, the Queen. Read this a while ago and really should get around to reading the others.
Mary
This series is one of my all time favorites! Not very sophisticated but just entertaining.
Lizzy
Enjoyable read. Interesting facts thrown in about Buckingham Palace. It was fun having the Queen as a character. Don't think I'll continue with the series though.
Martina Kopel
Aug 13, 2014 Martina Kopel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Jane Bee.
Cath
Apr 03, 2015 Cath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit of fun. Quite liked the maps of Buck House.
Mary Ronan Drew
Jun 16, 2012 Mary Ronan Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

To read my review go to my blog at:

Cathy Lynn
It's pretty good.
Courtney Vick
Courtney Vick rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Mary Wilson
Mary Wilson rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • The Garden Plot (Potting Shed Mystery, #1)
  • 1700: Scenes from London Life
  • Dead as a Scone (Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #1)
  • Dress Gray
  • Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • Bodies Electric
  • Deadfall
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • The Rosetta Codex
  • Dark Entry (Kit Marlowe, #1)
  • Mythology of the British Isles
  • The Road Past Altamont
  • Mirage
  • The Merlot Murders (Wine Country Mysteries #1)
  • The Sherlock Holmes Mysteries
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #1)
C.C. Benison is the pen name of Doug Whiteway, a journalist and author who lives in Winnipeg, Canada. He has a degree in journalism from Carleton University in Ottawa and has worked for the Winnipeg Tribune and the Winnipeg Free Press.

He is the author of a series of murder mysteries set on the estates of Queen Elizabeth II where the crimes are solved by housemaid Jane Bee, with the Queen's help. T
More about C.C. Benison...

Her Majesty Investigates (3 books)
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • Death at Windsor Castle (Her Majesty Investigates #3)