Start by marking “Miscarriage of Justice” as Want to Read:
Miscarriage of Justice

Miscarriage of Justice

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Based on actual events, Anna Dotson is a passionate modern woman of the 1900s who finds herself stifled by the lingering outdated rules of Victorian society. When her every attempt to rekindle romance and affection with her husband--a prominent local doctor--fails, she finds herself turning to the friendship of Charlie Cobb, a new man in town. But as their relationship bec ...more
Published May 4th 2009 by Center Street (first published February 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Miscarriage of Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miscarriage of Justice

Jill
This is a semi-fictional account of the murder case of Anna Dotson in TN in the 1900's. Here's my beef with this book:
1. This is Kip Gayden's first novel, and it shows. There were several grammatical errors (aren't publishers supposed to catch that kind of thing?) and towards the end, he relied heavily on (what I assume was) entire newspaper articles, verbatim.
2. It is a rare male author who can successfully write from a woman's perspective. Kip Gayden is not one of those authors. There were t
RJ McGill
Mar 04, 2008 RJ McGill rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime/mystery/romance lovers, history buffs
Shelves: reviewed
Miscarriage of Justice is based on the actual events surrounding a 1913’s love triangle gone horribly and irrevocably wrong. Kip Gayden has delivered an impressive novel that is as exciting as the crime and verdict were shocking. Anna and Walter Dotson were prominent members of the small Tennessee community of Gallatin. Walter, in addition to being a very successful physician, was active in numerous community activities, Masonic Lodge, church bible study and city orchestra leader, and he also ha ...more
Lucy Organ
Compared to some novels about more recent events, this book is written in a more reserved, simple style than most. Certainly, Kip Gayden does not write like Tom Clancy or Ken Follett. The early story of Anna and Walter's courtship in small Tennessee communities in the early 20th century is presented as formally as writing by, perhaps, Louisa May Alcott and the style seems entirely appropriate to me.
I found the story of Anna, Walter and Charlie deeply compelling and the gradual development of An
I wish I could give it two and a half stars, for "I liked it, BUT..." The book gives us an intimate look at how Anna and her husband meet and fall in love, and then I was suddenly held at arm's length while they have children and a miscarriage, which is why her husband won't have sex with her anymore. It felt weird that I didn't get an idea of how her children's births went, and then suddenly the focus was on her husband not paying enough attention to her. Enter Charlie, the man intent on seduci ...more
Dale Harcombe
This novel is based on a forgotten crime. Anna and Walter Dotson are a reputable couple until the day her affair with Charlie Cobb becomes known.From there the situation esclates until one of the three people involved is shot and killed.You'll need to read the book to find out who and why it happened.
I guess from the title of the book I expected it would deal more with the trial, when in fact much of the book deals with the affair and events leading up this point.For this reason I found it less
Jennifer S
I picked this book up at a used bookstore because the historical event took place in Nashville and Gallatin, which are both cities near to where I lived. It took place during the women's suffrage movement, which I find to be an incredibly interesting historical topic. I almost stopped reading several times during the first 1/3 of the book because the dialogue between te characters was incredibly juvenille. After the first 1/3, the writing improved slightly, and the story became more interesting. ...more
Beth
Although I didn't think this was a particularly well written book, I enjoyed the story. There were times when the language was not authentic enough, dialog did not feel real.
Based on accounts of a true murder as it was reported in Tennessee newspapers of the time, the story and its historical setting were kind of fascinating.
I didn't know a lot about the Suffragette movement before reading it and still don't after, but it's made me more aware of what life was like for women in those days and t
Debbie Gryszko
I really liked this book. It really kept my attention. I am interested in finding out more about the true story that the novel was based on.
Chuck
Linda Barry
A little slow to start but quite compelling after a while. I love the use of the newspaper stories of the time were used to illustrate not just the facts but give the opinions authenticity. Wished that the jury deliberations had been more in depth to fully illustrate their views and opinions, but perhaps the author felt this would take away from the "real" jury.

If you like historical fiction, you will like this and plan to spend sometime thinking about the women who worked so hard and tirelessl
Jaime Walker
not my usual read it was alright
Kristi
Fantastic historical fiction!
Robin
I was wish-washing between giving this a 3 or a 4 star rating and ultimately went with the 4 since it did hold my attention and I really wanted to get back to reading it anytime I had put it down. I liked the story and found it especially interesting since it is based on real events that took place right where I live! I am interested to do a little research about the woman, Anna Dotson, that the novel is mainly about. Good story about adultery, murder, and women's rights...all the makings of a g ...more
Linda
Ready to return this book I decided to read the review to see why we bought it! The beginning is poorly written romance but the review promises better in the second half courtroom drama so I may try to finish it. The story is based on a true event from the early 1900's and the beginnings of the suffrage movement. I skimmed to the end, never radically improved if interested flip to the ending and read the newspaper accounts.
Maci
I read this book for the SBC, topic book that take place in your state or town. This book took place in Gallatin, TN...one town away from where I grew up and where I live. It was so weird to see all the street names and all the cities that I am familiar with.
I really enjoyed this book! It's based on true events from back in the early 1900's. Even if you don't live in TN, still an awesome read.
Michelle
I got this book because it was based in Gallatin (close to where I live) and on a true crime. It was an easy read but rather dry. It was very difficult to connect to any of the characters except I thought the author did a good job with Walter. The story was really interesting though and left me with food for thought about justice, how history has changed, and my rights as a woman.
Eleanor
It wasn't until I finished and was reading the epilogue that I realized this was based on a true story. It put a different light on the story for me. I initially thought it a bit far-fetched, but then again, real life can be incredibly dramatic all on it's own. I didn't know that Tennessee played such a pivotal role in the women's suffragette movement.
Fay Bassett
This was a great book and I totally enjoyed it. One of the better books that I have read lately. I usually figure out who did it before the book lets you know. This was one that I did not figure out. I think that this is a must read if you enjoy a murder mystry that is based on a true story.
Peggy
Very good book! Most women will relate to this theme, even though written reflecting a crime during the turn-of-the-century, the subject remains fresh today in many aspects. Written by a Judge, it is historically and legally on the mark. Enjoy !
Jo
This book was frustrating at first to read because the heroine did such stupid stuff - but the ending makes it worth sticking to it because at the end it explains the earlier frustrating behavior. Good ending! Worth reading.
Amanda McReynolds
Living near Westmoreland really brought this story home. A remarkable piece of fiction depicting actual events. I can't wait to visit this small town soon, and re-trace Anna's steps.
Shannon Rinck
This was one of the worst books I have ever read. It is based upon a true story but only about 20% of the book is based upon fact. Horrible book...don't waste your time.
Kris
Awesome story centered around an actual murder case in Nashville back in 1913...easy read; great story!
Paula Carlson
Although this was fiction, it was based on a true story in the early 1900's. Very good read!
Pamela Larson
I read this for a book club and did not care for it. It seemed to be written for a young adult.
Laura Lee
Turn of the century trial of woman accused of killing her lover. Not too bad.
Ellen
Probably an interesting story, but such bad writing! I couldn't finish it.
Chenoa
Pretty bad. But I kept hoping it might surprise me.
Angie
A very impressive , very thought provoking book !
Patti