Start by marking “Judas Horse (Ana Grey, #3)” as Want to Read:
Judas Horse (Ana Grey, #3)

Judas Horse (Ana Grey #3)

FBI Agent Ana Grey returns to infiltrate the volatile core of an eco-terrorist cell in the Pacific Northwest.

Only months after a traumatic shooting incident, Ana is still emotionally unstable when she returns to work and learns that a fellow agent—and former lover—was killed by a group of terrorists operating under the name of FAN (Free Animals Now). To find the murderer a
Published February 10th 2009 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Judas Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judas Horse

Marsha
This is third in a series, first that I've read. Ana Grey learns her former fiance has been killed in an undercover assignment. She becomes an undercover agent herself and thrown in with the same group of Eco-terrorists that killed him. As she penetrates their secrets she learns more than she would have liked to about her agency, past mistakes and current corruption. An enjoyable read obviously meant to be continued.
Matt Howard
People who don't know guns shouldn't write about guns. I assume the author spoke to an expert consultant before writing about snipers in her novel, but her lack of knowledge means there are awkward incongruities that destroy our belief in the story. Besides that the plot is awkward, and the characters wooden. I gave her two stars because it's not Mickey Spillane.
grundoon
Sep 26, 2016 grundoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 books in 22 years and counting makes for a tough series to follow, especially when the first two were nothing outstanding, but she's managed to keep me interested. And I'll happily accept these terms if it means more installments like this, the third, a pretty riveting and seemingly well researched undercover operation tale. When your reader's biggest gripe is that they would have loved more this, more that, you know you're doing it right. Would another hundred pages have worked as well? – ...more
jo
Jul 04, 2008 jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
i love genre fiction that is so sophisticatedly literary. the language here is super. some passages are extremely cool.

"The tension in the kitchen is like waiting for a hurricane. We are losing the sun and the palm trees are blowing inside out; traffic lights swing wildly on their cables. The storm shutters are up and the house is sealed, but within the hour we will be beset by knocking winds like a thousand screaming inmates."

the plot, though, leaves a lot to be desired. one small thing that b
Paul Pessolano
I have heard of a "Judas Goat" but not a "Judas Horse". If you don't know a Judas Goat is a goat that leads sheep from their holding pens to the slaughter house. Just before the Judas Goat is to enter the house he takes a ramp off to the side, the entrance to the ramp is closed and the sheep are funneled into the slaughter house.

The same seems to be true of the "Judas Norse" who leads horses to their slaughter house. On should keep this in mind when reading this book.

Ana Grey is an FBI Special A
Staci Woodburn-Henry
Oct 23, 2011 Staci Woodburn-Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read outside my normal genre for the Ana Grey books on the recommendation of a friend. After one, I was hooked. This is the note I sent him while on the second book:

I was reading while waiting for the bus this morning. When it pulled up, I got on without looking up. Still on the bus 45 minutes later, it's pouring rain and hail and no one can figure out how to close the roof hatch that I'm sitting under. Which is of course when I finally stopped reading and noticed that not only am I getting p
Linda
Jun 18, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bouchercon
This tale of an undercover agent who infiltrates an environmental terrorist ring in the Pacific Northwest was a great read. I liked the character of Ana Grey/Darcy Guzman a lot, and also enjoyed the other characters. Only the other FBI agents seemed a bit flat. I really liked the details of undercover school and the look into undercover work. I haven't read anything like that before.

The main downside of the book was being told first-person, present-tense. There were some things that she simply c
Claudia
Jan 25, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
April Smith read her own book, Judas Horse, and did a super job of both writing and reading it. This is the 3rd Ana Grey novel with the FBI special agent being sent undercover out west to infiltrate a group of anti government eco-terrorists trying to keep the federal government from messing with wild horses, among other things. The man responsible for the group of terrorists is an ex FBI agent gone bad. Ana's safety is made precarious when her cover is discovered.
Judas Horse finishes with all t
Ross
Jul 03, 2009 Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot of Judas Horse is intricate and suspenseful. I quickly got drawn into the story and found myself just where an undercover agent presumably ends up: unsure of anything and everything but compelled to move on. So there is much to like about this mystery.

But the plot turned in a few ways that strained my fairly low expectations for credulity. And the brief account of the FBI undercover school was too cursory to work well. Still, this was a quick and fun read. And it could make for a great
Nette
Apr 03, 2008 Nette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first part of the book where the FBI agent goes to "undercover school" at Quantico, but then she goes undercover for real at a ranch populated by ecoterrorists, and I got bored. But maybe that's just me -- I'm always more absorbed in the technical details of detective work than in the big chase scene at the end. The first book in this series, "North of Montana," is still the best by far.
Sharon
I just didn't like this book. I didn't like the writing style. I thought the book was tedious; it took me a very long time to read this. FBI special agent Ana goes undercover, infiltrating an animal rights radical group that is led by a former, rogue FBI agent. I didn’t find the characters especially compelling, and Ana, who CHOSE to go to undercover school and take this assignment to prove something to her self, was annoying whiny about it.
Alissa
Nov 26, 2008 Alissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Ana is sent deep undercover to infiltrate a radical environmental-terrorism cell outside of Portland, Oregon.

April Smith is a fantastic writer. Ana is a wonderfully flawed character and the stress of being deep undercover and the pull between her fake life as Darcy and the Bureau is palpable.

Quite the satisfying thriller.

Anita
Apr 21, 2009 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ana Grey turns herself into Darcy to become part of FAN. Through the eyes of an ex-FBI, she sees things about the FBI and her old FBI love, Steve, that she did not see before. It makes her question what is real and what is not, who to trust and who not to trust. In the end she escapes with the help of those she does trust, but if she survives and how I guess is for another book.
Laurie
Jan 28, 2016 Laurie rated it really liked it
This is my 3rd April Smith novel. This one goes takes the main character to a different place. It took me a little time to fall in with the theme, but I definitely wanted to see how it ended. I wonder if Ana will be back?
J. Ewbank
This book by April Smith is a good read and the title is aptly made. It has an interesting finish that could not be anticipated but which also leaves you wondering how the series can continue. I enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Mark
Dec 21, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd of the series and the 2nd that I've read...Tough as nails Ana Grey goes undercover and infiltrates an ecoterrorist group lead by a former Fibbie who who went native in the 70s...outstanding descriptions of the UC training and mindset provided along with a decent story...fun read!
John
Dec 13, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book got off to very slow start, and almost got put down because of the authors' ignorance on subjects she is giving false facts to. However the story line picked up and the book turned into a page-turner.
Joyce
Jul 11, 2008 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new author for me. It is a thriller about a female FBI agent working undercover with domestic terrorists. It was well plotted and well written but I frequently found myself more interested in the sub-plots and minor characters than the main ones.
Brenda
Oct 26, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Another great book by April Smith. I hate that I read them so fast that I don't get to enjoy it more.
Jeff Dickison
Aug 27, 2014 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Ana Grey mystery as she goes undercover to infiltrate FAN (a radical animal rights group) and finds more than she bargains for. Well written, good action, recommended.
Mary Ahlgren
Jun 02, 2014 Mary Ahlgren rated it liked it
Interesting book about interesting times, Obsession is a dangerous thing, and going "undercover" seems to be really bad for one's psychic health.
Lisa
Mar 24, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good!! This is my second time reading it, I couldn't really remember it so I read it again and liked it again!!!
Jason
When I first got book it look promising. It started out okay but the more I read the less I was getting into it
Sheila
Story about an FBI agent who goes deep undercover to infiltrate a domestic terrorist cell. I couldn't figure who to trust throughout the entire book.
Erica Hudson
Mar 06, 2015 Erica Hudson marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jeremiah Genest
Apr 18, 2008 Jeremiah Genest rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I read this book because I was curious about the growth of the whole "environmental terrorist" It was a hottible book.
Teri
Apr 27, 2008 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-this-book
first time reasd for this author. Good, but at times confusing, not a spellbinder, but a good mystery.
Jul 10, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
It's a nice change of pace to read about a more serious woman at the center of a mystery novel, as opposed to her wackier counterparts in other series.
Karen
Oct 17, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ana Grey is undercover in Portland, Oregon and we get a bit of her background in the FBI. The set up was a bit hard to swallow, but the FBI training was interesting.
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Moody Cow Meditates
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • Ice Trap
  • The Foreigner
  • Twisted
  • The Killing Moon: A Novel
  • After Shock (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller, #3.5)
  • The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3)
  • Ruined By Reading: A Life in Books
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • A Field of Darkness (Madeline Dare, #1)
  • The Work of Wolves
  • Island Of Bones (Louis Kincaid, #5)
  • Woman of Letters: Irene Nemirovsky and Suite Francaise
  • Mortification: Writers' Stories of Their Public Shame
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful
  • Real Boys' Voices
  • Fear Itself
Here's the down and dirty: grew up in the Bronx, went to college in Boston, graduate school in California, back to Cambridge to write a first failed novel and learn how the world works by writing ad copy,west to Los Angeles in 1976 for a career writing and producing TV, until the writer's strike of 1988 when I wrote my first novel on spec, North of Montana. Two wonderful grown children and the ...more
More about April Smith...

Ana Grey (4 books)
  • North of Montana (Ana Grey, #1)
  • Good Morning, Killer (Ana Grey, #2)
  • White Shotgun (Ana Grey, #4)