Start by marking “The Green Lantern Chronicles: v.1” as Want to Read:
The Green Lantern Chronicles: v.1

The Green Lantern Chronicles: v.1 (The Green Lantern Chronicles #1)

Chosen from all the people of Earth for his fearlessness by a dying space-policeman, test pilot Hal Jordan now serves the universe as a Green Lantern.
Published June 26th 2009 by Titan Books Ltd (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Lantern Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Lantern Chronicles

Alaina Patterson
For the full review (including a pictorial essay, and a word from one of our sponsors), follow the link to That's What She Read.
Gregory
May 01, 2014 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Green Lantern Chronicles collects the first six appearances of Hal Jordan as The Green Lantern, the first DC Green Lantern. It contains Showcase 22-24 and the first three Green Lantern comics. I've been working my way through Green Lantern Post-Rebirth and this was my first foray into comics prior to the current era. These came out 1959-1960 and they certainly show their age. I wasn't sure what to expect from "Silver Age" comics, but I found Chronicles to be repetitive and hokey. The three Showc ...more
Dustin Luke Nelson
While the opening issues (and early appearances) of The Green Lantern are a little cheesy for a modern reader, there's a lot to like in this collection. The writing is on par for the era — simplistic, a little cheesy, and frustratingly repetitive. (How many times can the Green Lantern go to another planet to save a human-like species from some sort of monster that is yellow?) But the value in this is the beautiful psychedelic art. The colors are incredible (especially for the printing processes ...more
Gary Lee
An eskimo character nicknamed "Pieface"???

Oh 1960s comicbooks, what will you think of next?
Adelaide Metzger
This collection of various gems (some really good, some generally appreciated in the golden age) is a fun treat with the start of a GREAT story. This is new news to me. I've never read a Green Lantern comic and what got me interested was the recently cancelled Green Lantern: The Animated Series. Whenever I get interested in a comic book character, I like to start from the roots (or close to them anyway) to get an understanding of how the creator perceived his/her own character.
Now, this was the
1959, an interesting time in the development of hero comics. Green Lantern is a player, dating the most beautiful women in Coast city. Batman didn't do that; he was too busy fighting crime all night to be squiring lovelies to hot night clubs in his costume. On the other hand, GL has a similar situation with his lady love as Superman. Lois Lane and Carol Ferris could be twins; both have beauty, brains, ambition but are petulant, self centered and high maintenance. the story lines are clearly infl ...more
Patrick Day
I'm giving this two stars just for the nice, classic Silver Age art. Otherwise, it's a one star affair with terrible writing. Yes, the late '50s and early '60s were a different era, but these characters are horribly written, from the one-note sexist portrayal of Carol Ferris to the one-note portrayal of Hal Jordan. And then there's Pieface the eskimo. Some nice looking art, but nothing else to brag about.
Tyler
Feb 24, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well it's the beginning of Green Lantern as we know it. It's actually really enjoyable, if you let the writing just kind of slide. It was the 60s after all. If you like ol' GL I say give this a look.
Paul Schoenberg
Since I am a large fan of green lantern this was a great read. The whole setup of how an ordinary human gains alien powers from a small ring is just very interesting. Hal Jordan has an alien encounter with a creature from the green lantern corps. He learns to embrace his fear while overcoming a new world that no ordinary human can imagine. It makes fantasy seem so desirable. The whole theme of a person being the chosen one especially from another galaxy being chosen makes this book a lot better. ...more
Jeffrey
Remembering that this was made in a different time for a different audience, this was a fun book. Somewhat repetitive, but again these were very much for children. Gil Kane's art is fantastic even at this early stage. And it's pretty cool that they're doing all Green Lantern stories in chronological order (or at least that's the plan - the publishing schedule for these is scattershot). For $15 US a good deal!
Brent
Aug 29, 2012 Brent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
The Silver Age of Comics at its finest. Sure, it's a bit cheesy now and then, but that's all part of the fun. I sometimes miss that in today's comics. Oh, and the artwork is fantastic!

Growing up on Marvel Comics my knowledge of the DC universe (aside from The Batman) is really quite limited. Green Lantern has always seemed like a fun charactor and a good start to expanding that knowledge.
Joshua
Nov 17, 2011 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty fun read. I'm not much for the old school comics, I think I've gotten too used to the modern more mature/darker tone that comics have taken on. But, I enjoyed some classic Green Lantern. Even if Hal Jordan resembles Jimmy Stewart.
J.
Jul 15, 2010 J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I was most surprised at how early the Weaponers of Qward came in to the mythology. A wonderful read, and incredibly interesting in light of wheee Geoff Johns has taken the mythology in the current run of the book.
Ed Pope
Dec 09, 2015 Ed Pope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Old school comics at their finest. If you want to know about the Green Lantern, THIS is the place to begin. Lots of great adventures for just a few dollars. Well worth the money.
Daniel Butcher
The stories are far from great, but for nostaligia it gets a three.

Oh for the days when Green Lantern's biggest problems were getting in and out of dates with Carol Ferris!
Ero
Jan 11, 2010 Ero rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-liberry
This is hilariously cheesy. But artful, in its way; and, very informative about the mores & standards of its time.
Paul bailey
i can see now why hes considered second rate superhero.
Gilda
Jan 25, 2012 Gilda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sci-fi, classics
Classic Green Lantern. Pretty good volume.
Gary Butler
Jun 21, 2011 Gary Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
114 out 204 on my all time book list
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Dimitris
Dimitris marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Dakodar
Dakodar marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Ernie
Ernie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2016
Josh Uzans
Josh Uzans marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Kayla Walden
Kayla Walden rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
maureen gaffney
maureen gaffney marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
  • Green Lantern, Vol. 8: Agent Orange
  • The Complete Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection
  • Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 5: Emerald Eclipse
  • The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (Batman)
  • The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus
  • Batman: The Wrath
  • The Aquaman Archives, Volume 1 (The Aquaman Archives, #1)
  • Crisis on Multiple Earths, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Death Mask
  • The Spirit, Vol. 2
  • Batman International
  • Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga Deluxe Edition
  • Batman: Battle for the Cowl Companion
  • Wednesday Comics
  • JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1

The Green Lantern Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Green Lantern Chronicles, Vol. 2