Start by marking “Exit Strategy” as Want to Read:
Exit Strategy

Exit Strategy

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Looming above Zach Ramsey's hometown of Blaine are the smokestacks of the truck assembly plant, the greasy lifeblood of this Detroit suburb. Surrounded by drunks, broken marriages, and factory rats living in fear of the pink slip, Zach is getting the hell out of town after graduation. But first, he's going to enjoy the summer before senior year.

Getting smashed with his bes
Published March 8th 2010 by Flux (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Exit Strategy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exit Strategy

Kari

The basic plot idea behind this book is certainly interesting and not one I expected from reading the summary. From the start, this book had me hooked from the narrative voice, the somewhat cryptic first chapter, and the colorful cast of characters. Potter defines his characters and adds enough idiosyncracies to make them memorable.

Set in Zach's perspective, this is a very real story told from the mind of a 17 year old boy with everything that comes with it. Though he's on the football team, Zac
Lea (YA Book Queen)
Exit Strategy is a realistic, unique, and totally awesome debut novel.

Onto the story, Exit Strategy is really Zach's coming of age story, mixed in with a lot of scandal, secrets, and a bit of romance. It all starts with what seems like an easy enough task for Zach to complete, and that's when everything goes downhill. Soon enough, Zach's falling for Sarah, Tank's twin sister, and everything he ever thought he knew is falling to pieces. After all, everyone has secrets...but Zach's just now discov
V. Emily
I picked this off the shelf of my school library while I was waiting for my parents, and I was immediately intrigued. I checked it out, kept reading, and was even more interested by the page. However -- and especially in the last third or fourth of the book -- I began to discover some aspects that I didn't really like.

One from very early in the story: "Wait, so now Zach is in love with Sarah just because she 'turned hot'? Is that really love -- no braces, no glasses, and a closet full
Kyle Jean-pierre
This is a wonderful book. It was a great read for me. The read was especially highlighted because it comes in the midst of my high school experience. Not only did I see the story-line and overall plot as inventive and creative with a refreshing originality the writing style of the author came to be comfortingly unique. Although I found there to be many cliches within the dialogue between the characters. Still that is a small price or a minuscule dent in the epic flight that this novel carries y ...more
Kalen
Harrumph. My review vanished into thin air. Here's the shorter version:

Exit Strategy is a somewhat frustrating and uneven read about a teenager working on his exit plan out of his hometown. That part is believable enough. Potter is good at capturing the feeling that your hometown will only bring you down and you have to save yourself and get out--something I think most teenagers feel.

(minor spoilers)

The unevenness comes in stilted and unbelievable dialogue (Zach in particular often sounds like
Eleni ( La Femme Readers )
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Exit Strategy is a YA book like no other. The well-developed characters and unique plot formulated a memorable story. The main character Zach, lived in Blaine, a small Detroit suburb with no opportunities. The epitome of success was working in the truck assembly plant. Zach, wanted out after graduation. He refused to live in ignorance and yearned for a deeper meaning of life for the future. However, he still had a Summer left so why not cause havoc? And, that's exactly what Z
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
4.5 Stars - Exit Strategy was far from many things I’ve read before. I seem to be saying that often these days. The characters and story were written from the view point of our main character Zach – a 17 year old boy who wants more from his life then what’s happening around him, then what he knows his town can offer. It focuses on the months of the summer before his senior year of High School.

Zach wants nothing more then to get out of his hometown of Blaine. Much of the focus on his story is abo
Jan
The best part of this contemporary problem novel is the freshness and authenticity of the writing. I really felt that this author knows the world of adolescent boys and I loved how he incorporated social commentary into the story (terrible economy, drug use) without making it too didactic, but instead used it as a way to develop characters and make the setting believable.

Seventeen-year-old Zach is anticipating senior year and crafting his BEP (Blaine Escape Plan). Blaine is his hometown in Mich
Vicki
The thing about books with an intended YA audience is that you have to enjoy them a little bit differently if you're an adult. A book can work for a teenager, but might not work at all for an adult. The thing about all books, no matter the intended audience, is that they should have at least a stab at structural integrity and plausibility.

The problem with this book is that it's got many of the right ingredients: a main character whose small/economically depressed home town has him planning a wa
Kricket
liked:
-michigan, detroit area setting! granted, i would have liked it even more if zach had gone to the DIA and absorbed some rich detroit area culture...but we take what we can get in detroit. it is just so refreshing to read some teen lit that doesn't take place in NYC. NEWSFLASH: a lot of teenagers do not live in NYC!

-the thriller aspect where zach uncovers the steroid scandal and tries to find out the truth about tank's dad. oooh, exciting!

-zach's job at the liquor store was very realistic.
10thumbs
I picked this up for $1 at the Friends of the Library book sale and was pleasantly surprised. It was an engaging glimpse into 3 summer months of Zach's life. The town he grew up in is dying, if not already dead, Zach wants nothing more than to escape and not become his moribund parents or stuck brother. If he falls in love with his best friend's sister... all the better.

It took me a while to figure out why Zach was doing seemingly meaningless and/or self-destructive things early on, then I remem
KayLee
I liked the story, and Zach's voice, but two things bothered me.
1: The romance was terrible. Actually, there really was no romance. There was absolutely no chemistry between Zach and Sarah. The only reason I saw that Zach liked her was because she was hot. That's really all he said about her, except that she was a dork the year before. She was a really flat character, and every scene that they were together I just felt like gagging, it was that bad.
2: The title is called "exit strategy" and
Austin
Not a bad debut novel. The whole plot of this book is for him to leave Blaine but it never says if he does.
Hope Grover
Jul 20, 2013 Hope Grover marked it as to-read
Lexile: 790
Rok!tsuperhero
Rok!tsuperhero marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Bookaholic
Bookaholic marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Scott Miller
Scott Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Dominiek Van belle
Dominiek Van belle marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Amy K.
Amy K. marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
  • Jumpstart the World
  • Ghost Medicine
  • The Life of Glass
  • Stranded
When he's not hard at work writing, Ryan Potter spends his time teaching seventh graders, reading, practicing yoga, imagining life as a rock star, and wishing he had more time to write. His dream of becoming an author began in middle school, where he wrote short stories about aliens and student teachers. He lives in the Detroit area with his wife.

Ryan is the author of numerous published short stor
More about Ryan Potter...
Perennial The Cleaner Roman King and the Armies of Fire and Light "Welcome to Detroit: Ten Years - Ten Stories (2002-2012)"