Start by marking “Crazy Aunt Purl's Home Is Where the Wine Is: Making the Most of What You've Got One Stitch (and Cocktail!) at a Time” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Published 2010 by Health Communications

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Aunt Purl's Home Is Where the Wine Is, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Aunt Purl's Home Is Where the Wine Is

Cupcakencorset
Crazy Aunt Purl’s second memoir makes me wish more than ever that she and I were neighbors. Her Southern upraising and ”accent” are as familiar to me as my own and they are endearing. The book is LOL funny in places and heartwarming/life-affirming throughout. And there are more knitting patterns than you’d expect at the end of the memoir part. I love anything Laurie writes and am a faithful reader of her blog, where I came to love her generosity of spirit and her pluck and her refusal to be a vi ...more
Donna
I think this one was better than her first book, which, after enjoying Perry's blog over the years, I found a little underwhelming.

I especially loved the story about dating a guy that started treating her differently after he discovered her old blog posts and took them more seriously than he should have.

This is a fun, light read, and put the author on the unrealistically long list of writers that I'd love to have a drink or three with.
Chris
"Like its predecessor, ""Crazy Aunt Purl s Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair: The True-Life Misadventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split"", this is a book that, for all its humor and irreverence, is about personal growth. Follow along with Laurie Perry as she makes her New Year s resolutions (#7: Try Something New [and Not Just a New Food] ), then tries to achieve them throughout the year.[return][return]This was a great read and you definitely do not need to be a kni ...more
Jessica
A great book if you've ever been through a divorce or are thinking about one. It even made me want to take up knitting. It used to knit pot holders. She gives much more interesting ideas.

She talks about a time period called the Fear Life "days become so insulated and alone that even things I love to do -- like travel--world be too scary.... is total seclusion...(p.44) I can relate to it to a certain point. It made me realize other people have been through it before. No one talks to me about it o
Nick
I started reading this at the Dr.'s office with my son. Luckily we were in the exam room because I was laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks and couldn't breathe!! Her tries at meditation were hysterical, as were her forays into the dating world. The best was the knitting resolution. Here are some quotes:

"I guess I just hadn't considered that people with access to inexpensive, mass-produced Walmart socks actually chose to knit them instead, not until I took up knitting myself and
CS
I love Crazy Aunt Purl, y'all. Love. Her. And I want to love her books. But...while I thought this book captured more of the magic that is her blog than did the first, it still wasn't all the way there. Like eating a low-calorie microwave meal that claims to be "Top Chef Restaurant Ready" but at the end of the day, it's still frozen chemicals in a cardboard box.

Not that this book is a microwave meal - it's very entertaining, witty, and fun - and if you're not a regular reader of the blog, it qu
Jennifer Burns
I love Laurie Perry's humor! This book is like a funny Eat, Pray, Love with cats and wine/whine thrown in. I hope that is more Laurie Perry in my future. For now, I will have to get my fix on her blog.

Now on to the food! Every book has food.
"And there is virtually no food on the planet that can't be made with zucchini. You can make spaghetti with zuke noodles instead of real pasta. You can make bread, cakes, muffins, puree, soup, stew--you name it, and you can probably put zucchini on it." Lauri
Laurie Perry's second Crazy Aunt Purl novel, Home Is Where the Wine Is makes for a light, witty and rather delightful read. Perry writes in such a manner that one feels as though one is conversing with her. A fun, witty and delightful read with bonus knitting and crocheting patterns. Home Is Where the Wine Is to anyone looking for a delightfully charming and witty novel to spend a cold afternoon reading.
Shawna
This one reaches and tries to be like the first one, but doesn't quite come off the same way. It's an enjoyable read, but not as witty and sharp as the first one. It feels as if Ms. Perry tried too hard to be the same woman who wrote the other book, however, she's not the same woman. She is reinvented and new. The book's voice should have reflected that a bit more.
Topi
When I finished the final blog and flipped the page to find the projects, the voice in my head said, "Noooooo". I wasn't anywhere close to being done enjoying vicariously living Crazy Aunt Purl's life yet. I loved the bits about her forays into the dating world, and her acceptance of her status as Single and whole unto herself. I look forward to future books.
Mel
Jul 27, 2011 Mel added it
A nice follow up to Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair. It wasn't a continuous story like her first book, but the short stories had themes that connected and made sense. It wasn't quite as good as the first one, but her insights and comments were just as great! Once again, if I had my way, I'd have a quote book just for her books and blog.
Elizabeth
This book is the second one I've read by Perry, featuring her essays on her life. This one focuses more on her life as a single gal, her goals to improve her life, and the funny things that happen along the way. It made me a laugh out loud in places, always a good sign. I appreciated her humor and her championing of single girl empowerment.
Tevilla
Despite the title, this book has a lot to say about a woman coming into her own. Laurie Perry is a very good writer, and can bring forward humor, pathos and growth into a single sentence. I look forward to her next book. I love the ending...home is where you make it.
Nicole
I wanted to like this since I do sometimes enjoy Perry's blog, but I ended up finding it boring. There wasn't nearly enough knitting content. I guess that's the part of the blog I relate to best. I haven't read her first book, and based on this one I probably won't.
Cheryl
Perry cracks me up with her laugh out loud attempts at self improvement. I especially loved when she decided to move bags of fill and realized that knitting was her only form of exercise.

Anyone who wants a laugh aloud fun read needs to read these books.
Lucy
I love Crazy Aunt Purl. She's inspirational, makes me laugh, and makes me realize that in many ways I'm just like everyone else (apparently in ways no one really talks about in public). She's also the reason I finally really started knitting.
Beth
Laurie Perry (Crazy Aunt Purl) always makes me laugh. I liked this book better than her first. There were a few stories that had me in tears because I was laughing so hard! Quick book and great read!
Lisa
Apr 06, 2010 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters, divorcees, dating after 30
Shelves: knitting, nonfiction
I've been reading Laurie's blog for 4 years and finally got both of her books. I find her writing style very easy to digest, and found myself laughing out loud like I was talking with a friend.
Maryse
if i could, i would have given this book 2.5 stars. i really wanted to like this book. i love CAP and i think she's hilarious. but when i got to the end, i could only think "that's it?"
Melissa
This was a quick read and most if it was stories I hadn't read on her blog. She's funny- my favorite line involved a cat hurling itself at her bedroom door while she tried to mediate.
Pam
Loved the author's critical, sassy attitude as she bravely travels and dines out as a single. The author beautifully states what being single is about (see last couple of pages).
Andi
Feb 23, 2010 Andi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humor lovers, knitters
Recommended to Andi by: TLC Book Tours
A really fun book from the author of Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair. I didn't laugh out loud as much with this book as I did the first, but it was well worth the read.
Tara Choate
Very good, but not as good as the first. The gardening chapter is HYSTERICAL but knitting is barely prominent. Still, author has clearly grown and I hope she write more.
Jayme
What a fun book! I enjoyed it even more than her first one. I had a few laugh-out-loud moments on the subway that were so enthusiastic, I drew stares.
Sue
I enjoyed this book. laurie has great humor and is a good storyteller. You can really feel like you are in her shoes.
Jessica
Oct 03, 2011 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Knitters
Shelves: memoir
If you enjoy Crazy Aunt Purl's blog, then you'll enjoy this book. The only thing missing is pictures of her cats.
Drusilla
Quick summer read. Knitting plays an important role in the book. Comedy .... Some fun knitting patterns in the back.
I Laurie Perry. Perfect book to curl up with in a bubble bath with a glass of wine and just chuckle. ...more
M.K.  Carroll
As a reader of her blog, I felt the book may have been too heavily edited, changing Laurie's voice.
Janelle
Cute and fun. It is amazing how many things Laurie writes about that I can completely relate to!
  • It Itches: A Stash of Knitting Cartoons
  • Knit. Sock. Love.
  • Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • A Life in Stitches: Knitting My Way through Love, Loss, and Laughter
  • Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design
  • Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn
  • Wendy Knits Lace: Essential Techniques and Patterns for Irresistible Everyday Lace
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • A Knitter's Home Companion: A Heartwarming Collection of Stories, Patterns, and Recipes
  • Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time
  • A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Das Energi
  • Aran Knitting: New and Expanded Edition
Laurie Perry is the author of "Drunk, Divorced & Covered In Cat Hair" -- the irreverent first-person narrative of a contemporary, displaced Southern woman facing life after her husband leaves her to "get his creativity back."

She is best known for her online diary, CrazyAuntPurl.com. It's a peek into the daily life of a woman who is trying to figure it all out, whatever "it" may be, with a fin
More about Laurie Perry...
Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair: The True-Life Misadventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split Home Is Where the Wine Is: Making the Most of What You've Got One Stitch (and Cocktail!) at a Time Cheaper Than Therapy: Joy, healing & life lessons in fiber