Start by marking “That Takes Ovaries! Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts” as Want to Read:
That Takes Ovaries!  Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts

That Takes Ovaries! Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Having ovaries: unabashed, gutsy, feisty, playful, challenging, full of chutzpah, mettlesome, naughty, victorious, straight from the hip, full-flavored, outrageous, righteous, loving, inspiring, bold as brass, self-assured, self-confident, self-possessed, daring, heroic, wild, wanton, crazy, optimistic, unflappable, pushy, unstoppable, impressive, rebellious, kick-ass, car ...more
Published April 23rd 2002 by Broadway Books

Be the first to ask a question about That Takes Ovaries! Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts

Lorelei
This was a truly wonderful book, full of truly wonderful women who did some amazing and wonderful things. That being said ... I was greatly irritated that there were no women in this book with whom I could identify. Many many amazing, incredible women, but each of them outside of my world. I could wish the book had been more inclusive of different types of women heroes. The disabled woman who stays home and rears six children, or the abuse survivor who makes a whole new life for herself and her ...more
Chelsea
It's interesting, and a bit scary, and funny too. It's a collection of one to five page essays submitted by women of all ages (five being the youngest), mostly from the United States, but a few from other countries as well. They're all true stories, things these women (and girls) have actually accomplished and survived and experienced. They all aim to be inspiring, and most hit the mark. I read the book all in one sitting (actually, I snagged it from my roommate, who has to read it for her Women ...more
Nancy Brady
An anthology of stories in which females stood up for themselves or others. Some are funny; some are bold, and some are outrageous. Additionally, certain practices are highlighted bringing attention to the plight of young girl.
Mary
I really enjoyed these stories from women who have ovaries! There were stories from young girls to older women, all who tell their story in their own unique way. Some are mild, but you know as you read the story, it took courage for each woman to do what they needed to do.

I was inspired by each of these stories, stories that are told by "bold females" about "their brazen acts". And I think brazen acts pretty well sums up each and every story told.

If you are a female, I encourage you to get a cop
Shannon Black
This book was cute - super feminism LITE. I didn't expect too much critical thinking or theory, but I think she did a decent job with mentioning different versions of feminism and different versions of oppression across cultures and classes. This is something I will definitely give this to a younger cousin to get her started on the path of being an outspoken, radical female.
Marjanne
Aug 20, 2007 Marjanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
Yes, I admit it (and some of you have known this for years). I am a feminist. And, believe it or not, you don't have to be a lesbian or a 'man-hater' to be a feminist. Anyhow, this book really fed that part of me. I agree that it is important for women to feel strong and be empowered.
SuperCat
the pieces in this anthology are too short. I feel absolutely no connection with the characters--there is no emotional pay off. I believe the book was adapted from a series of open-mike style events and my feeling is that the stories in the book would be better presented in that format.
Becky
You know I like stories of people testing their mettle - so this is a no-brainer for me. My sweetheart saw it and knew I would love it. He was right. You may find you feel like stirring up some trouble after reading this book. I did.
Laura Pollard
Most of the stories were incredibly interesting and fascinating to read. However, I am not the biggest fan of anthologies. I sometimes felt like it was just a bunch of random stories thrown in there. But overall a very good read.
Katie
Title can be misleading. Title is a take on the common saying "that takes balls" to do. These are short stories of women who don't have balls, hence, the ovaries title. Despite the title, the stories are pretty good.
Syd
Of course I'm going to like this book, right? My favorite story is about a woman who actually shames a man that has just broken into her house into leaving...with an apology no less...all with no pants or undies on.
Jessica D
Lots of interesting little stories about women kicking @$$ and taking names. Good book to read when there is not enough time to go through a whole novel.
Tonya
I purchased this book several years ago during Undergrad and I recently found it and decided to re-read it. If you have never read it you should!!
Edwina Hall Callan
I enjoyed reading these stories about brave women who decide to make a difference by brazenly showing off their inner strength.
Genevieve
Collection of short stories written by women doing some brazen deeds. Some were really good and others were boring.
Jessica
Great set of short, true, girl power stories.
Ariel
This made me laugh and was very inspiring!
Jung
Totally awesome. Funny, touching and inspiring.
Joline
some pretty funny stories in it.
Martha
Mar 12, 2008 Martha added it
Annie gave me this book <3 <3 <3
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Hannah M.
Hannah M. marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Mira Johnson, CPC
Mira Johnson, CPC marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Jorie
Jorie marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
  • Sex Work: Writings by Women in the Sex Industry
  • Bachelor Girl: The Secret History of Single Women in the Twentieth Century
  • The Technology of Orgasm: "Hysteria," the Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction
  • Uppity Women of the New World
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • Working Sex: Sex Workers Write About a Changing Industry
  • Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex
  • My Gender Workbook: How to Become a Real Man, a Real Woman, the Real You, or Something Else Entirely
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
  • Flux: Women on Sex, Work, Love, Kids, and Life in a Half-Changed World
  • Real Live Nude Girl: Chronicles of Sex-Positive Culture
  • Fight Like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
  • Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists
  • Mommy, Mama, and Me
  • Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
Out of the Ordinary: Essays on Growing Up with Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Parents

“When I was growing up, no one could get away with telling me I couldn't do something "because you're a girl." In fact, if someone wanted me not to do something, that was the worst thing they could say: It practically guaranteed I'd run out and try to do it.” 7 likes
“What's the link between the woman who boldly fights for social justice and the one who boldly has fun? Both are acting powerfully, because each is rejecting preconceived notions of how females 'should' behave.” 4 likes