Start by marking “The Train to Estelline” as Want to Read:
The Train to Estelline

The Train to Estelline

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Lucinda 'Lucy' Richards trilogy, spanning the years from 1911 to the 1930s, has everything good books should have: a variety of landscapes, characters of all ages and social classes, an overall tenderness that never lapses into sentimentality, and a sense of the comic amidst the tragic. Lucy is feisty, funny, and completely open-armed about life. Josh passionately conf ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by University of North Texas Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Train to Estelline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Train to Estelline

Sharon
I suppose this book could also have been called "Lucy's world" it really is about how Lucy sees the world she inhabited and how she deals with the way she thinks things should be and then how they are.

I Love the name Lucy, we had a pooch for 18 years called Lucy and I must have said the the name thousand's, of times and never got sick of saying it.

It was a charming story set in the early twentieth century, I loved the character Lucy for her spunk and intelligence. You could really see how seven
Claudia
Feb 22, 2009 Claudia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction
Recommended to Claudia by: Caroline! And her mom!
Lucy goes on a great adventure on the train to Estelline...at the ripe age of 17, she becomes a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse. She has to contend with critters in her school, parents who don't appreciate education, students who must babysit younger siblings...and she finds her calling.

Told through letters and diary entries, this book forces us as readers to fill in the blanks, and see beyond Lucy's words to the heart of the story. Lucy loves Bob, but his mother, the rancher's wife, wants mo
Mary
The story of a young woman leaving home in 1911 to teach in Bonham. Written as a letter between the main characters and others. Once you get used to this style its original and insightful as to life in Texas in 1911.
Esther
Sep 20, 2012 Esther rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Esther by: Sonya
I'm not sure the diary/letter format works as well as a straight narrative, in either first or third person, would. But overall, nice coming of age story in early 20th century West Texas. One thing I liked very much was the way the narrator is really in her world: whenever explanations are given for differences, the differences are between what she is accustomed to and what she finds. So often works of historical fiction slip in elaborate descriptions of what would have been entirely ordinary it ...more
This is the second book I've read which takes place in letters (the first being Clara Callan by Richard Wright). Unlike that book though, this book is entirely told through letters Lucy writes to various people, and in that sense I felt some of the story is inferred. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but did somewhat affect the plot.

With that being said, Lucy is still a fast, enjoyable read about a young woman who takes on a school in Texas in the early 1900's.
Mickeyfogs
What a great read! Read this trilogy almost 20 years ago. Remember staying up all night reading after hubby and babies were asleep. The main character Lucy, was such a spitfire. Throughout the trilogy, she goes thru a number of trials which strengthens and shapes her demeanor. The book is narrated in diary form.
Claudia
I read this book just after reading The Lemon Jelly Cake and this one suffered from the comparison. The time period was the same, but this one wasn't as compelling. I had planned to ready the two sequels; I'm glad I didn't buy all three at once because I'm not interested enough to read more.
Karetchko
Aug 13, 2007 Karetchko added it
Recommends it for: new teachers
I read this during my first year as a teacher and related to so much of it. There are two follow-up books, and both are good as women's literature, but the main character isn't teaching anymore so I didn't like them as much.
Tami
Fun, quick read about a young schoolteacher in West Texas during the early 1900's. The story is told through her letters home to family and friends.
It's a good book to pick up for a light, enjoyable read.
Sandra Greenman
One of my favorite trilogies. Teachers might especially appreciate this story. It is a warm and inviting step into the days of Texas past. I am a fan of Jane R. Wood's writing style.
Amy
I would happily give this the Goodreads 3.74, but alas I am unable. It was a fun read that takes place in an unfamiliar part of the country.
Maggie Rutledge
I really liked this book because it reminded me of my grandmother. The descriptions were amazing. I also enjoyed how it is written in letter form.
Lyn
If you love Texas and teaching you will love this trilogy of books. I savored each one and enjoyed the 1800 historical time period they are set.
Heather
Loved this book...lots of humor, pathos and surprises. I can't wait to read the other two in the trilogy.
Kitty Tomlinson
17 year old Lucy Richards takes a job teaching in a one-room schoolhouse in West Texas. Enjoyable.
Christina
In August of 1911, 17 year old Lucy Richards takes a teaching position in Texas.

Melissa
Very good book and story line. I found myself routing for Lucy! Worth reading.
CLM
Jan 28, 2010 CLM marked it as to-read
A Texas classic about a 17 year old in charge of a one room schoolhouse
Jessica
Loved this book. An easy quick read with depth and wholesome too!
Kathi
A sweet West Texas story....a classic in Texas literature!
Elissa
I enjoyed this book but it was mostly forgettable.
Casey
Casey is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Debi Cates
Debi Cates marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Starcarbon: A Meditation on Love
  • Anybody Can Do Anything
  • New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2)
  • Daddy-Long-Legs & Dear Enemy (Daddy-Long-Legs #1-2)
  • Hank & Chloe
  • Snowflakes and Stetsons
  • God Wins: Heaven, Hell, and Why the Good News Is Better Than Love Wins
  • Fast Forward
  • Searching for Eternity
A Place Called Sweet Shrub Dance a Little Longer Grace Roseborough Out the Summerhill Road: A Novel