Start by marking “Samhane” as Want to Read:
Samhane

Samhane

A novel by Daniel I. Russell Donald Patterson travels to Samhane in pursuit of a sadistic murderer and rapist. Unless Donald reaches Orchard House by midnight, his fiancee will be the star of the next torturous broadcast.... Brian Rathbone and his son are already in Samhane, hired by the mayor. Specialist exterminators, their talents have helped to deal with the 'little pr ...more
Paperback, 2nd, 304 pages
Published December 21st 2010 by Stygian Publications (first published October 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Samhane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samhane

Ginger Nuts
Aug 26, 2009 Ginger Nuts rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ginger Nuts by: jimbo52@tiscali.co.uk
Samhane by Daniel I Russell

There is a lot wrong in the town of Samahne. Specialist exterminator, Brian Rathbone and his son have been called in to sort out some of the special problems that have been plaguing the town for decades. Problems that only a select few understand fully. People disappearing, murders, strange noises.
Donald Patterson, is also heading to Samhane in a frantic bid to save his wife from the clutches of a truly evil and repugnant man known as Demon.
I’m not going to give away
delane
Jan 17, 2011 delane rated it it was amazing
This ranks up there with some of the most twisted, demented, horrifying tales of terror I've ever read.
Daniel I. Russell has a dark hole in his brain that is a scarey place and it's brilliant!
POV jumps from person to person, but instead of being confusing it was all part of what kept everything so completely stuck in my head, even while reading or working on something else.
FANTASTICLY CREEPY!
Very worth the price!
AWESOME MR. RUSSELL, AWESOME!
John Wilson
Nov 30, 2009 John Wilson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror fans, suspense fans
What does Mr. Belvedere, guns, knives, and gore that would make horror master Richard Laymon blush have in common? Read "Samhane" to find out. I can't recommend this macarbe little masterpiece enough. Once the story grabs you, it won't let you go. And the horror is as tight as a drum head, pounding into you as you turn the pages. Russell is something unique in the horror market: he's an original voice.
Steve Mag
Nov 29, 2009 Steve Mag rated it it was amazing
very good stuff, dark and perverted, just what i hoped! Get this if you want a real page turner - great flow from start to finish, the action never lets up and samhane becomes a place that gets stranger and stranger as the book goes on. Recommended for any dark horror fan
Daniel Russell
Jan 12, 2011 Daniel Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I was previously taking the high moral ground by not giving one of my own books 5 stars.

But then I saw that everyone else is doing it.

Baa!

>;-)
Michelle
Jan 03, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read
Any book that comes with a warning of "extreme horror" is a must read!
Nathan Stamper
Mar 29, 2011 Nathan Stamper rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! Right from the start of the book I was creeped out, and then again when I finished the novel. The only problem was that it's over.
The characters were deep and intricate; just like the people who you'd meet in person, but once youve gotten to know some of the characters in the book, you find out that they aren't who they seem. No one is who they appear to seem... In the town of Samhane!
This amazing piece of work defiantly deserves a five out of five
A word to the wise: don't rea
Sherie
May 14, 2010 Sherie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This story had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I found it hard to put down and hardly slept because I was so eager to find out how it ended. One character that truly scared me was Chuckles the clown. He had such a creepy character in the beginning when Sam met him for the first time and my fear of clowns didn't help.
Ian Woodhead
Dec 11, 2010 Ian Woodhead rated it it was amazing
I read Samhane on it's first release and I was shocked at the intensity of the prose. Daniel Russell has produced a masterpiece here, the man has produced a carefully crafted word sculpture that every horror fan should purchase.
Louise
Nov 02, 2009 Louise rated it liked it
Rebecca Besser
Jul 15, 2011 Rebecca Besser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After much waiting and anticipation I finally got to tear into Samhane, a truly twisted horror story with many faceted aspects to scare your pants off.

Daniel I. Russell weaves a tale of horror that isn’t afraid to take the step up to extreme, delving into the deepest and darkest of your fears to excite, scare, and disgust you all at once. The sheer brilliance of the mix presses your mind to its limits and holds you at the edge of your seat as you wait to find out what’s down the next twisted pat
Daniel Russell
Sep 09, 2009 Daniel Russell rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to review my own book, but I will copy and paste the Withersin magazine review. Dialogue (grumbles...)

With a name like Samhane, who would want to live there?

Donald is an aspiring horror novelist who buys a laptop with a little bit of horror already added into it. Brian is a monster hunter who gets called into the town of Samhane for a few jobs that feel more like death traps. After Donald’s wife Bev and Brian’s son Sam get abducted both men find themselves drawn toward a company ca
A.E.
Apr 22, 2011 A.E. rated it really liked it
“Samhane” begins with a character called “Demon” in the prologue, and he takes advantage of a sweet but foolish (and drunk) girl. Then we move into the story of a writer who comes from a shady past, having a monster hunter for a dad and being raised to identify and kill creatures. We then meet the other characters who figure prominently in the next few chapters, and they all live in the town of Samhane, which is kind of like Salem but a lot worse. Demon and the girl, Lucy, resurface in the narra ...more
Frankie Yates
Dec 30, 2015 Frankie Yates rated it it was amazing
I will never get over what an incredible author Daniel I Russell is. I don't understand how he makes such strange storylines work, but he does and it is hypnotic.
Like 'Critique', Samhane is like nothing I have read before. It's another novel that, if you were to describe the storyline to me, wouldn't sound like a book that I would enjoy because it's so different to anything I would usually read. It has everything from an old war veteran with a dark secret, to a robot spider doctor.
I was hooked
Martin Livings
Mar 23, 2011 Martin Livings rated it really liked it
This is an excellent blood-soaked-popcorn kinda book, a haunted rollercoaster ride that's simply there to be enjoyed for what it is, in much the same vein as the work of Richard Laymon. So if you're expecting detailed characterisations, hugely original situations or deep philosophical meaning behind the whole thing, you might just be a bit disappointed. But if you're expecting a balls-out horror novel with plenty of sex and violence (often at the same time) and piles of disturbing and entertaini ...more
Bob Meracle
Oct 01, 2015 Bob Meracle rated it really liked it
A page turner that reminded me of vintage Richard Laymon and Ed Lee. Samhane is a small town run by a cult of demon worshippers who are entertained by subscriptions to live streaming snuff feeds. Donald unwittingly buys a used laptop from one of the tormentors and is drawn into the mayhem alongside monster hunter Brian and his young son Sam. Definitely not for the squeamish. I'm not squeamish. Highly recommended.
Stephen
May 08, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
Brutal, inventive, gripping. I loved this book, I got into the characters, the descriptions were vivid and it made me squirm.

Why not 5 stars? I think the writing was evidence of an early work. Had Dan written it later in his career, I'd say it would have rounded up to 5.
Becky Messer
Jan 27, 2016 Becky Messer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good Book

This story was very exciting and suspenseful. It had a lot of twists and turns that the author brought together in the end. If you like horror with a touch of fantasy this is a must read. Very enjoyable read.
SenoraG
Mar 08, 2010 SenoraG rated it it was amazing
Great book. Grabbed me at the start and never let go. Dark, gruesome , kept me at the edge of my seat.
Chris Bowsman
Jan 30, 2011 Chris Bowsman rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Mix up all the best parts of Hostel, Lovecraft, and all the great 80's/early 90's monster flicks. Definitely not for those with a weak constitution, as the violence is rather brutal.
Heather A
Heather A rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
MontiLee Stormer
MontiLee Stormer rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Geoff
Geoff rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2011
Chris Berko
Chris Berko rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Patricia Ward
Patricia Ward rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Matthew Tait
May 16, 2011 Matthew Tait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow at Hellnotes ...
Shells Walter
Shells Walter rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2011
Christian Gordon
Christian Gordon rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Beck
Beck rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2011
Shaun
Shaun rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Most notorious scene... 1 9 Apr 16, 2011 07:58PM
  • Burned Alive: A Shocking True Story of Betrayal, Kidnapping, and Murder
  • Graverobbers Wanted: No Experience Necessary (Andrew Mayhem #1)
  • Saying Uncle
  • Jokers Club
  • The Ascent
  • The Devil Next Door
  • Meany
Australian Shadows Award finalist Daniel I. Russell has been featured publications such as The Zombie Feed from Apex, Pseudopod and Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #43. Author of Samhane, Come Into Darkness, Critique, Mother's Boys, The Collector and Tricks, Mischief and Mayhem, Daniel is also the former vice-president of the Australian Horror Writers' Association and was a special guest edi ...more
More about Daniel I. Russell...