For Love or Country (Historical, #1)

For Love or Country (Historical #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The Scarlet Pimpernel meets The Patriot in Kerrelyn Sparks' debut novel, "For Love or Country." With an army of wigs and a wardrobe that favors lavender, Quincy Stanton poses as a Loyalist fop by day. By night, he wages a secret war against the British with an impressive array of eighteenth century spy gadgets. If the truth is discovered, he could hang. Then along comes Vi...more
Published June 17th 2002 by Forge

To ask other readers questions about For Love or Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Love or Country

Lucy Dosch
Bond. James Bond…I mean, Stanton. Quincy Stanton.

This is a wonderful story which takes place just prior to the beginning of the revolutionary war. As tensions build between the colonists and the British Army, Colonist Quincy Stanton goes undercover as a British loyalist to spy on the local aristocrats and British Officers. At the same time trying to keep the beautiful and self-appointed spy Virginia Munro, out of trouble.

This story has the usual great wit and banter as Kerrelyn’s Love at Stake s...more
Tess
Dear Ms. Sparks,
I am so glad you started writing your "Love at Stake" vampire romance novels because this one was not very good. Very little spying, half-hearted romance, and the plot was written much better in "The Scarlet Pimpernel." Quin is an un-convincing fop, and really just too down on himself the whole book. Virginia has some interesting backstory, but not enough to make her a strong character. Plus, I hated how everyone was always rushing off places, or stumbling into the parlor unannou...more
Crystal
3.5 actually. I'm…surprised actually. I've read Ms Sparks' vampire series and well, the story lines vary from amusing, to absurd, often with a broad hint of doom and gloom from the story arc. This one is…sweet. Set pre-revolutionary war, it has a necessary grimness in the background, with a less necessary plot afoot in the form of a publicly legitimate son (who isn't - legitimate that is) trying to take over a company formed by his uncle and his officially illegitimate brother (although the uncl...more
Judy
The Forbidden Lady by Kerrelyn Sparks
Quincy Stanton is a Captain of a ship but dire times for the Colonists call him into the world of spying. Acting as a Loyalist he uses his time at their parties to find information on what the British are up to. Quincy knows the dangers he faces and the consequences if he is caught what he didn’t expect was trying to play his part when a beautiful woman enters into the picture.

Virginia Munro and her sister Caroline were spending time in Boston getting to know...more
Anna

Review posted at Books to Brighten your Mood

The Forbidden Lady is my very first book by Kerrelyn Sparks and believe me when I say that I was impressed! So impressed, that her paranormal series that I've been forever postponing to read, has moved up to my TBR pile.

Since I haven't read the author's paranormal series, Love at Stake, I can't really compare her writing style between the genres, but what I can safely say is that historical romance is definitely a genre she can deliver! I enjoyed every...more
Melanie
I've never read this author before but I did hear about her and when the opportunity struck for me to sample her with her début book, I took it. Now that I'm done with the book, I can only say...HOLY COW! If all of her books are half as good as this one, I have misd on some great writing.

Originally published by Forge Books in 2002 under the title of `For Love or Country' this book is now offered to us through HarperCollins Publishers and I have no doubt finding new fans all over the world.

The ab...more
Guilty Pleasures
Kitty's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

An Historical Romance by Kerrelyn Sparks? Oh, my, yes it was! But, it’s no ordinary. British ton, duke’s and lords, ladies and gents kind of book. This is set in America during the time of Paul Revere, the Boston Tea Party and the British invasion.

Quincy and Virginia were wonderful! The first chapter of the book set the tone for everything that would happen between them. The story starts off with Quincy trying to buy Virginia on a ship that has just saile...more
Vicki Rose Stewart
Kerrelyn Sparks has long been one of my favorite vampire & shifter paranormal authors, with her highly popular "Love At Stake" series & so I jumped at the chance to review her newest historical release, "The Forbidden Lady".. It goes to show that no matter the genre in which the always amazing Ms. Sparks chooses to write, she is a goddess among fiction authors!
We head back into the late 1700's and meet the beautiful, strong-willed, fiery Virginia, who was raised by her fiercely independ...more
Lord Rose
Although rather improbable at times, I quite enjoyed this book.

It amused me how it was like those spy movies where the characters are always being given new gadgets- but 1700s style. (Although nowadays, a glow in the dark magnifying glass sounds awfully tacky. Even if it is made out of silver.)

It was quite a bit longer before successful submarines were developed, and the original Turtle failed to actually accomplish anything. But it certainly makes for an interesting story.

I adore heroes with fa...more
Care
I picked this up because I enjoy the author's Love at Stake series and because I enjoy historical romances. The story is set in pre-revolutionary war Boston. It's not a setting I usually read, but I am familiar enough with the time frame and the events around Boston at that time. I am not historian, so I cannot account for complete accuracy, but I felt the the author did a nice job incorporating things into her story.

Neither our hero or heroine will win any awards for my favorite pairing but I e...more
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
As many people can tell you I do not read a lot of historical romance. For some reason this is just not a favorite genre of mine. When I saw that Ms. Sparks had written a book that is a historical romance, well I was greatly intrigued. I love Ms. Sparks’ Paranormal Romance books and I just think the world of her writing skills, so I decided to have a go and read The Forbidden Lady. I am so very happy that I did!

This is a very clever romance that takes place during the beginning of the American...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

When his livelihood is threatened, the illegitimate son of a British Earl, Quincy Stanton will powder up his wig and become what he despises most to spy on the would be “protectors” sent to take over the colonies.

Set during the pre-Revolutionary War era of 1769, The Forbidden Lady is classic Kerrelyn Sparks storytelling. Fans of her Love at Stake series are already familiar with her terrific writing voice. This is a different side of...more
Kitty Felone
While I often find things to like about each story that I read, seldom do I ever truly find one where the list is endless. More often than not, I found myself applauding Kerrelyn's use of fine detailing throughout this entire book.

Not only had she executed a spectacular job of using descriptive words, she'd done it without going overboard. Her characters were quite believable, their actions and thoughts spoke louder than words, and not only did I giggle at various segments that I am sure she mea...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Interested in colonial times? Do the Sons of Liberty with their spies and intrigues interest you? If so this historical romance may be for you. Virginia Munro despises the Red Coats and Tory lovers. Raised in the Colonies, Virginia is a proud patriot. When she runs into Quincy Stanton during her visit to Aunt Mary in Boston, it reaffirms her beliefs. These Loyalist are condescending and rude.

Ms. Sparks is an author I greatly enjoy when it comes to her paranormal romances. It is with regret that...more
Abby
Alright! I cry Uncle. Please, just make the insanity STOP!

I bought this book because it was cheap and because of the setting: pre-Revolutionary War Boston. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a non-Regency England setting!

Unfortunately, despite a pivotal point in history, and a chance to really explore the tensions between British and Americans, there's a dingbat heroine traipsing around Boston thinking she's a spy; a total DB of a hero who's idiocy and dimwittedness knows no bounds; an orphaned pl...more
Juuli
I read the series (if I can say it like that - there are only 2 books published so far) out of order. I started with Caroline's story Less Than a Gentleman and was very excited when I realized that Virginia had a book, too.
I like this story but the second book is better.
The background was great and all the historical details were amazing to read, however the characters felt out of place ... well, they weren't very good spies and there wasn't much spying in this story. And although the beginnin...more
Tiffany
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this book, the characters and situations were entertaining. Sometimes historical romance can get overly heavy with the history in an effort to make it feel more period but that was not the case with this book. I look forward to reading more.
Arshia
There aren't that many well-written revolutionary novels out there. This was one of my favorites. As always Kerrelyn brings a bit of spunk and hilarity to her readers. When Quin and Ginny meet for the first time sparks fly immediately. She doesn't like him because he tries to buy her; however, she is intrigued by the man dressed like a baffoon. There is something that doesn't quite add up about Quincy Stanton. Later she figures out that they are working for the same cause. I hope Kerrelyn writes...more
Samie Kauchis
Well—and I don't mean this in a bad way, but—This book definitely shows that it was one of Kerrelyn Sparks' older books. It wasn't bad, in fact, I enjoyed it, but it did lack some of the things I've come to expect from her based on her Paranormal Romance series.

The writing and overall plot didn't seem to flow all that smoothly... It was also pretty obvious who the 'Boston Burglar' was the first time he ever stole anything. The funny touches were cute, but not all that witty and seemed to be tryi...more
K
Oct 22, 2012 K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Recommended to K by: found on author's website
I wasn't quite sure of this book initially, as normally I am not drawn to stories set in the Revolutionary Era and/or this part of history. However, as I tend to like historical romance, and am a huge fan of the author's paranormal romance Love at Stake series, I figured "why not". And suprisingly, I found the story an enjoyable read overall w/ lots of action, suspense, and humor. I couldn't stop laughing at the misunderstandings and situations Quin and Virginia found themselves in. I also liked...more
Barks & Bites
This is a historical romance about a manly man forced to dress as a fop in order to spy on his enemies. It's pretty rich in history yet a lot of fun at the same time. Might this be the book to get me out of my unending slump? I so hope so.

Later: I finished this up yesterday unfortunately, though it was a better than good read, it didn't get me out of my slump and it was too easy to put down. It started out fun but eventually dragged in parts and was bogged down with a too obvious villain and a f...more
Kathleen
fun fast read - started out as The Scarlet Pimpernel, ended as typical spy story
Avey Shannon
The Forbidden Lady, by Kerrelyn Sparks is an historical romance novel set during the 1700s in America. It is an extremely well written enjoyable read with the setting taking place in the pre-Revolutionary War in Boston of the wonderful developing romance between its lead characters Quincy and Virginia, with some very humorous witty scenes, very interesting lovable secondary characters, more than one suspenseful twist and turn, along with the inclusion some great spy gadgetry. I am definitely loo...more
Sandy
This book was amazing. I really enjoyed reading it. It was a change from kerrelyn's vampire series but really loved it.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Quincy is an owner of a big shipping company, a master seaman, and a spy against the English. Virginia is an unmarried woman, a supporter of the patriots against England in 1769, and infatuated with Quincy even though she knows he's not what he seems. Uncovering, with Virginia's help, the less than honorable plans of the English redcoats, discovering the truth of Quin's birth, the joining of their families, and the showing of friendship and protectiveness toward the inhabitants of America before...more
Darcy
I really like this author's vampire series, so thought I would give this older book a try, wasn't too sure about it going in as it is a different genre, one I sometimes have trouble with.

Right from the start this one rubbed me wrong. I hated how Quincy acted, I know he is supposed to be a spy, but he annoyed me. I also hated Virginia's holier than thou attitude and how she thought she was better than others. Due to the characters I ended giving this one up, it just wasn't for me.
Kristin
I was a big fan of this one, but then historical spy romances are my favorite. I know, I know, picky much? Still it was by turns sweet, suspenseful, and sexy. For Love or Country was heavy on plot, but the what the sex scenes lacked in quantity, they made up for in quality. And frankly, that's how I like them.
Mireille
Even though it took me ages to finish, I really liked this book. It was well-written, with fun characters, excitement and a very interesting historical setting. The romance was great, the banter was fun... I recommend it. I'm a bit over historical romance at the moment but I still had a very fun time reading this.
Dawn ♥ romance
Plenty of action in this story set in 1770 Boston as conflict mounts between Englishman and Americans. I rated it 3.5* because I liked the story but it wasn't as engaging as her humorous vampire series. Quincy posing as Loyalist encounters Virginia at a ball doing some snooping of her own.
Michele Lacroix
I loved this book, it had all the excitement of the beginning the Revolutionary War, with spies and intrigue. The only thing was I was disappointed that it ended to soon with out Virginia telling Quinn about the baby, what happened to his brother Clarence?
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • A Lesson in Chemistry with Inspector Bruce (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #2.5)
  • The Spy Wore Blue (Lord and Lady Spy, #1.5)
  • His Very Own Girl
  • Sugarplums and Scandal (Includes: Love at Stake, #2.5)
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • Lead and Follow (Club Devant, #1)
  • The Seduction (Georgian, #1)
  • Her Ladyship's Companion (Spymasters, #0.5)
  • An English Bride In Scotland (An English Bride In Scotland, #1)
  • Checkmate, My Lord (Nexus, #2)
  • Highland Fling (Highland, #1)
  • The Countess Confessions (Boscastle, 14)
  • Forever a Lord (The Rumor, #3)
  • Bite Me, Your Grace (Scandals with Bite, #1)
  • Lessons After Dark (Englefield, #2)
Kerrelyn Sparks is the New York Times bestselling author of a series that mimics its sexy heroes by refusing to die. Now up to book thirteen, the Love at Stake series spreads laughter worldwide in thirteen different languages. In spite of a tendency to nibble on necks or howl at the moon, Kerrelyn’s vampire and shapeshifter heroes are still wonderfully romantic.

Please visit www.kerrelynsparks.com...more
More about Kerrelyn Sparks...
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake, #4) Be Still My Vampire Heart (Love at Stake, #3) Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9) All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire (Love at Stake, #5)

“C’est la vie, chérie.” 0 likes