Start by marking “Primitive” as Want to Read:
Primitive

Primitive

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
It began as just another day for David Spires and his wife Tracy: coffee, breakfast, and getting the kids ready for school. Then the bottom dropped out of civilization.

The world ends not with a bang or a whimper, but with a dizzying downward spiral. Instead of the rat race of commuters scurrying to beat the clock, humans are now packs of animals reduced to snarling primiti
Published July 14th 2009 by Delirium Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Primitive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primitive

Chris
Feb 23, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writer David Spires awakes one normal day, happy and content in his life with his young family, but soon discovers the world he once knew is about to be irrevocably shattered. People suddenly descend into a primal state for no apparent reason, killing one another with savage ferocity. At first, the Spires family holes up in their home, but David soon realizes his stash of guns won't be enough to protect them.

Banded together with a small group of survivors, they flee California, but eventually di
Karl
Contains a new introduction by Brian Keene and Cathy Gonzalez.

This is copy L of 22 lettered copies.
William M.
Nov 20, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
3 AND 1/2 STARS

J.F. Gonzalez, author of the brutal classic, “Survivor”, creates his own spin on the zombie genre. I won’t give anything away, but what Mr. Gonzalez does here is very different than almost anything that I’ve read before. He clearly had a cool idea and pulled out all the stops, throwing a rather normal family in the middle of a nail-biting and very dangerous new world that you definitely won’t see coming.

While I did find a few areas that could have used a touch more editing (discov
Grimgirl
I’m easily pulled in by a book that transports us to the “end” – to a time when you suspend all that you know about the world and the rules have changed. It would be easy to compare this to the typical zombie apocalypse storyline. Truth be told, it’s partially why I decided to read this book, but if that’s your only expectation going in then it may not live up. However, if you view this as a unique story > about the danger of our own inner basic instincts (long forgotten over years of evoluti ...more
Adam Wilson
Primitive by J. F. Gonzalez was a slight disappointment for me. Don’t get me wrong, I gave it three stars and that does mean I liked it, but this book felt like a horror sell-out in my opinion. I have read dozens of novels that are very similar and seen many movies also. It is an engaging tale and I always enjoy end of the world stories told in the first person because they usually have a very emotional ending. This novel is no exception. In fact, the ending, the resolution if you will, was the ...more
Procrastinador Diletante
Este livro prometia tanto...mas ao fim de 50 páginas já estava capaz de o apagar. Uma estranha praga faz com que a maior parte dos Humanos regrida mentalmente, tornando-os "Primitivos". O livro acompanha um pequeno grupo de sobreviventes que tenta escapar da cidade e encontrar um refúgio longe das tribos que agora ocupam a maior parte dos centros urbanos. Mas o livro é uma salgalhada cheia de estereótipos (só como exemplo, o grupo de sobrevivente tem; um índio; um gay; uma pessoa de côr; um raci ...more
Nick
Aug 28, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-competition
Really exciting take on a zombie-esque apocalypse. The premise was very originally. Having a man made virus lead to the summoning of something much more evil was a seriously cool take on the subject matter. The book was filled with suspense. Only thing I wasn't crazy about was the very end, felt a tad bit anti climatic. Besides that this was awesome.
Glenda
Aug 16, 2012 Glenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you like zombie fiction then you will probably like this book. I enjoyed the story but wasn't completely sold on the whole theory of a mass belief system conjuring up the demon but I enjoyed the characters and their intense struggle to survive.
Joseph Patchen
While a break from zombie literature; it is a faux zombie story I have seen before. Well written but I was hoping for more. See my full review on Luridlit.com.
Trevor
Aug 19, 2009 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Got some zombie action, but is more like a 28 Days Later or Giangregorio's "The Rage Plague" style society-loses-its-collective-mind kind of thing. Very cool.
Jason
Oct 23, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good read. Very gory and enjoyed the supernatural element.
Brett
Mar 28, 2010 Brett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Two words: Not impressed.

Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Erica Murphy
Erica Murphy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Tressa
Tressa marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Ken Jensen
Ken Jensen rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Dima Sanilevitch
Dima Sanilevitch rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Aaron Carroll
Aaron Carroll rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Joni Sims
Joni Sims rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Brian Mcclain
Brian Mcclain marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Shawn Thornton
Shawn Thornton marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Kaisersoze
Kaisersoze marked it as to-read
Janie C.
Janie C. marked it as to-read
Jess
Jess rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2015
aiden barnes
aiden barnes rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
J. F. Gonzalez is the author of over a dozen novels of horror and dark suspense including They, The Corporation, Back From the Dead, Primitive, Survivor and is co-author of the Clickers series.
More about J.F. Gonzalez...