Start by marking “Digital Habitats; Stewarding Technology for Communities” as Want to Read:
Digital Habitats; Stewarding Technology for Communities
Preview

Digital Habitats; Stewarding Technology for Communities

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Technology has changed what it means for communities to "be together." Digital tools are now part of most communities' habitats. This book develops a new literacy and language to describe the practice of stewarding technology for communities. Whether you want to ground your technology stewardship in theory and deepen your practice, whether you are a community leader or spo ...more
Published August 15th 2009 by Cpsquare (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Habitats; Stewarding Technology for Communities

Hans de Zwart
I liked this book for two reasons:
1. It creates a whole new language to describe phenomena that I am seeing myself. "Habitat", "Reifecation", "Stewardship", etc. are all very useful to create a better shared understanding.
2. Its emminent practicality. The book is full of thoughtful advice for anybody who has to think about technology and community and how these two interrelate. It will continue to be a good reference for me.
I didn't think it was an easy read though: many of the chapters are very
Nancy
I am one of the authors of this book - full disclaimer. I hope you find it useful!
Patti
May 27, 2010 Patti added it
Shelves: networks
I read this before it came out, and it is now one of my primary references for people thinking about technology and communities. Each time I pick it up, I'm working on a different problem for a different customer, and I always find fresh insights.
Bonnie  Zink
A bit dated in places, but a great primer on how to develop vibrant communities. Many of the techniques are situated within the digital context, but are just as effective when used in real time, real world situations.
David
Good book for community building with ol resources and tools.
Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Ken
Ken is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Kumar
Kumar marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Mohammad
Mohammad marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Priscila Queiroz
Priscila Queiroz marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Miroteam
Miroteam marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Tanner Ragland
Tanner Ragland marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Joel Moore
Joel Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
William Jenkins
William Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, and Identity Artificial Intelligence and Tutoring Systems: Computational and Cognitive Approaches to the Communication of Knowledge コミュニティ・オブ・プラクティス (Japanese Edition) Situated Learning (Learning in Doing: Social, Cognitive and Computational Perspectives)

“Meaningful learning in a community requires both participation and reification to be present and in interplay. Sharing artifacts without engaging in discussions and activities around them impairs the ability to negotiate the meaning of what is being shared. Interacting without producing artifacts makes learning depend on individual interpretation and memory and can limit its depth, extent, and impact. Both participation and reification are necessary. Sometimes one process may dominate the other, or the two processes may not be well integrated. The challenge of this polarity is for communities to successfully cycle between the two.” 0 likes