Digital Habitats; Stewarding Technology for Communities

Digital Habitats; Stewarding Technology for Communities

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Technology has changed what it means for communities to "be together." Digital tools are now part of most communities' habitats. This book develops a new literacy and language to describe the practice of stewarding technology for communities. Whether you want to ground your technology stewardship in theory and deepen your practice, whether you are a community leader or spo...more
Published August 15th 2009 by Cpsquare (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Habitats; Stewarding Technology for Communities

Hans de Zwart
I liked this book for two reasons:
1. It creates a whole new language to describe phenomena that I am seeing myself. "Habitat", "Reifecation", "Stewardship", etc. are all very useful to create a better shared understanding.
2. Its emminent practicality. The book is full of thoughtful advice for anybody who has to think about technology and community and how these two interrelate. It will continue to be a good reference for me.
I didn't think it was an easy read though: many of the chapters are very...more
Nancy
I am one of the authors of this book - full disclaimer. I hope you find it useful!
Patti
May 27, 2010 Patti added it
Shelves: networks
I read this before it came out, and it is now one of my primary references for people thinking about technology and communities. Each time I pick it up, I'm working on a different problem for a different customer, and I always find fresh insights.
Bonnie  Zink
A bit dated in places, but a great primer on how to develop vibrant communities. Many of the techniques are situated within the digital context, but are just as effective when used in real time, real world situations.
David
Good book for community building with ol resources and tools.
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Tanner Ragland
Tanner Ragland marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
William Jenkins
William Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Rotana
Rotana marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Erwin
Erwin is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2014
Renate
Renate marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Mar 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2014
Tóri Slættalíð
Tóri Slættalíð marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Wt Anderson
Wt Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Hemanath Ravi
Hemanath Ravi marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Edie
Edie added it
Dec 09, 2013
Jesse Turner
Jesse Turner marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Hercamil
Hercamil marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Drlab
Drlab added it
Oct 09, 2013
Mario Bacellar
Mario Bacellar marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Kortney McPherson
Kortney McPherson marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Colleen Broderick
Colleen Broderick marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, and Identity Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge Digital Habitats: stewarding technology for communities Communities of Practice (Learning in Doing: Social, Cognitive and Computational Perspectives)