Start by marking “Hidden Evidence: 50 True Crimes and How Forensic Science Helped Solve Them” as Want to Read:
Hidden Evidence: 50 True Crimes and How Forensic Science Helped Solve Them

Hidden Evidence: 50 True Crimes and How Forensic Science Helped Solve Them

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
""This is a monumental work."-- Science Books and Films (on the first edition)"

""The writing is lively but succinct, complete without being morbid. The illustrations and photos complement the text and go a long way in explaining sophisticated techniques... Highly recommended for public libraries."-- Library Journal (on the first edition)"

This revised and updated history of
Published September 25th 2009 by Firefly Books (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Evidence

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This was a really interesting book and the example true crimes were fascinating. The book consists of chapters about different steps to and types of forensic evidence from fingerprints to DNA to cranial shape to body size (no longer used). A lot of history of each method is included in addition to how it is used today. Each section is chock full of illustrations, although many of scientists working are clearly posed. In addition, true-crimes in which that type of forensic evidence was used at tr ...more
Grace Vandenbosch
Nov 20, 2013 Grace Vandenbosch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Owens has written an intriguing nonfiction book of murder, and how Biology helps find the murderer. Hidden Evidence digs up forty infamous crimes and explains them on a science level. With the help of forensic science, crimes that captured newspaper headlines are understood.

Throughout the book, the history of forensic science is discussed in topics including: DNA, blood, poison, suffocation, drowning, trace elements, fingerprints, and forgeries. David Owens uses cases from 1775 with Paul
Julie
This work is the perfect nonfiction booktalking book--attractive layout, intriguing subject, and truly gruesome pictures. This book is not for the faint of heart, but most teens will be fascinated by its combination of scientific fact and voyeurism. Owen takes the reader through a brief history of forensic science and then goes through methods of determining a victim's identity, from physical evidence to fingerprints and DNA profiling. He discusses various criminal methods, from poison and knive ...more
Catten
Dec 04, 2008 Catten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Owen takes an in-depth look at how forensic science has evolved from methods of investigation used in ancient China to today’s high-tech techniques. Each chapter features several case studies and Owen uses these to illustrate the many improvements and discoveries in the field of forensics. Every page features drawings, diagrams, or photographs, some in color and some not for the squeamish.

Starting with the T’ang Dynasty in China, Owen tracks the science of discovery through the ages. Early
Gossymotto
Some interesting crime stories in the book but the problem with a book of this nature is it becomes outdated fairly quickly. Advances in Forensics and computer power make for rapid changes in procedures and technology that's applied. Still, the books contains a lot of history on how Forensic Science got to where it is today, (or at least where it was by 2000 when this book was published.)
Georgia hillstrom
Jun 16, 2015 Georgia hillstrom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done

Intriguing book on intriguing subject. Even though some of the investigative methods talked about in this book are outdated, well I still liked it a lot.
This was a top notch book on forensic science. This book contains history on how crimes are investigated then and now. Wish there would have been more information on the pictures provided. That is a big reason I purchased the book, was for the pictures.
Cheryl Didur
An interesting book, this contains a brief history of what I'll call pre-forensics - discoveries that have eventually led to the science that is used to solve crime today. It also includes some ideas that led to nothing but interesting side-bar mentions, like phrenology.

While using actual cases to illustrate various techniques, there does not always seem to be a clear connection between the photos included and the surrounding text. Maybe I'm too accustomed to reading about a single case - and be
Gerimayah Cintron
i have been finished with this book.
Frederick Bingham
This book is about the science of forensics. It discusses things like how bullets are identified, what happens to a body when it floats in water for several days, how bloodstains can be detected and other topics from crime detection. It is filled with colorful pictures. It talks about some specific crimes, the Lockerbie bombing, the World Trade Center, OJ Simpson, Sacco and Vanzetti, etc. The case studies were fascinating, but not detailed enough. The discussion of the the science was less inter ...more
Melissa Harvey
Jul 10, 2014 Melissa Harvey rated it it was amazing
A very well written in depth review of cases where forensics played a key role in capturing the guilty.
Melissa Dally
Jun 13, 2013 Melissa Dally rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Well, it did have a lot of interesting information to share, tho a bit of it was contradictory. Also, there were a large number of interesting pictures that there wasn't any further information on. Sometimes not even the names of the people in the picture. It would really have made a difference if they'd had that.
Jill
Feb 26, 2013 Jill rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013
I'm guessing this is sort of a textbook? I had a lot of trouble sticking with it, maybe because I tried reading it while my kids napped. Great into to forensics and some behind the scenes stuff of even some more recent oddball cases that were solved, or remain unsolved due to the science of forensics!
Cat.
Jul 19, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is sort of a "Forensic Science 101" textbook: lots of detail, several actual case studies, and lots of fairly graphic pictures of dead bodies. I actually skipped quite a lot of the technical stuff at the end about DNA & fingerprinting, and just read the cases & the photo captions.
Dina P.
Aug 28, 2007 Dina P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
buku ini baguuuus bgt.
tentang kriminologi forensik.
mencari bukti2 kejahatan lwt laboratorium.
membuktikan kalau sepandai-pandai penjahat melompat akhirnya digagalkan oleh teknologi juga.

I love this book sooo much, highly recomended terutama buat yg suka cerita2 kriminal ^-^
Ratforce
If you’re interested in true crime, you may enjoy this book which not only explores the investigations behind many famous crimes, but also explains the forensic techniques that allowed them to be solved. The book also includes many color photographs.
Allison
I studied this book like a textbook. I wish I could take a class in forensics. It had lots of gruesome information and pictures and I walked away a little disgusted (of course!) but still intruiged.
Alia
Jan 15, 2008 Alia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology
I always fascinated by crime-solving stories. this book showed you how crimes were solved in real world by science. It's one of my favourite books of all time :)
Mike Shultz
Jul 11, 2012 Mike Shultz rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The cases and forensics are interesting, but based on other reading and research I've done, there seems to be a few exaggerations and errors in this book.
Tracy
Feb 20, 2009 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. I enjoyed the case files more than the information sections. I think I would find this a useful resource if I was writing a crime story.
T.M. Carper
Glossy pages and background infromation are the mainstays of this book. The cases are tiny snippets. Interesting, but not amazing.
Jessi
A great look into the world of forensic evidence!
Soren McClain
Soren McClain marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Candi Anderson
Candi Anderson marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Norman
Norman added it
May 17, 2016
Yeshwanth Damalapati
Yeshwanth Damalapati marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Abdallah Sa
Abdallah Sa marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Ali Howard
Ali Howard rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Ayodya
Ayodya marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
  • Dead Reckoning: The New Science of Catching Killers
  • Bones: A Forensic Detective's Casebook
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science
  • Bodies We've Buried: Inside the National Forensic Academy, the World's Top CSI Training School
  • What the Corpse Revealed
  • The Forensic Casebook: The Science of Crime Scene Investigation
  • Crime Scene
  • Corpse: Nature, Forensics, and the Struggle to Pinpoint Time of Death
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • Aftermath, Inc.: Cleaning Up After CSI Goes Home
  • A Fly for the Prosecution: How Insect Evidence Helps Solve Crimes
  • Forensic Detective: How I Cracked the World's Toughest Cases
  • Cracking Cases: The Science of Solving Crimes
  • Maggots, Murder, and Men: Memories and Reflections of a Forensic Entomologist
  • Coroner's Journal: Stalking Death in Louisiana
  • Teasing Secrets from the Dead: My Investigations at America's Most Infamous Crime Scenes
  • Crime Scene: The Ultimate Guide to Forensic Science
David Owen is the author of Hidden Evidence and Hidden Secrets. He has written extensively on military deception, espionage, and written and produced television documentaries on computer crime and electronic intelligence.
More about David L. Owen...