Start by marking “Advice for Strays” as Want to Read:
Advice for Strays

Advice for Strays

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Marnie’s schizophrenic father has gone missing, again. But this is the longest he’s ever been gone and the pressure of the unknown weighs heavily upon Marnie’s mind. Her younger sister Jess’s response is to spend her days sitting on the sofa obsessively plucking out her eyelashes one by one; on top of that something ominous appears to have scared away all the neighbourhood ...more
Published 2010 by Jonathan Cape

To ask other readers questions about Advice for Strays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advice for Strays

Room by Emma DonoghueThe Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David MitchellSkippy Dies by Paul MurrayStarted Early, Took My Dog by Kate AtkinsonLittle Hands Clapping by Dan Rhodes
Not the Booker Prize 2010
68th out of 86 books — 163 voters
Life After Life by Kate AtkinsonThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanLittle White Lies and Butterflies by Suzie TullettAnywhere's Better Than Here by Zoe VenditozziMagda by Meike Ziervogel
Not the Booker Prize Finalists
23rd out of 29 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Taiss
Jun 12, 2010 Taiss rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: collection-owned
I am someone who tends to ravish books from cover to cover in a gluttenous devouring orgy of literary hunger.

Every book in front of me is a meal. Every meal time feels like it is the first after a famine that lasted an eternity.

Which is why I wanted to change my "eating" habits when I recieved a copy of Justine's book.

Actually, that's not true.

I read the first eight chapters before UK postage stamp on the packaging hit the floor.

I stopped. I realised that this was an amazing book.

It was a liter
Rafael Torres
Beautiful. The thing that struck me the most about this book is how Justine is able to perfectly convey the atmosphere—the sights, sounds, smell, the feel—of a moment, thus succeeding in making the surreal as authentic as being there. In the hands of a less talented writer this wouldn't have worked, but Justine's skillful writing does it, and triumphs. She is the real deal.

Highly recommended.
Jann Barber
The words were carefully chosen and I often found myself re-reading passages just because of the way the words fit together. Reading this book was like a fine dining experience; it was delicious on so many levels.

Marnie's journey was lovely but also heart breaking. I wanted to read quickly in order to find out what happened next, but I also wanted to savour the reading. I'm glad I took my time.

My most favorite descriptive parts involved peripheral vision (page 209) and Marnie's memory (page 204)
Stephen Hayes
This is a strange book.

It's hard to know if I can say more than that without giving away the plot, if there is a plot. Or giving away what happens to the characters and what they do.

It is also a bit confusing because sometimes one does not know which character is speaking until one is halfway down the page, and then I have to go back to the top of the page and read it again with the other character in mind. But that's OK, because even the protagonist doesn't really know.

And also you sometimes d
tree
i really didn't expect this to break my heart.
Noah
I started reading this last August, and only finished last month, taking the advice of other people who read this book to go slow with it. No, actually, what happened was school started, and the lack of forward momentum in the story compelled me to read only incrementally in the last few months. But for a 311 page book, that was still a long time.

Even so, once I finished the book I realized that I really liked it. It’s about a pleasant but anxious and slightly insecure woman named Marnie, who, w
Michelle
(3.5 stars) Marnie is worried about the disappearance of her father. It is not the first time, but this feels different. There relationship has been difficult, with great highs and lows due to his mental illness. Other strange things are occurring in her neighborhood, including a large number of missing cats, eventually including her own. Each chapter is prefaced by a "lost" flyer for one of these felines. Marnie feels lost herself and this feeling has a very unintended consequence: it brings ba ...more
Gloria
Marnie, the story’s protagonist is worried. Her father has gone missing. He has schizophrenia and has gone off in the past however has never stayed away so long.
In addition the local cats are missing, including her beloved ‘Mr Knuckles’.
Marnie needs help however has no support from her sister (who is becoming ‘unhinged’) or her best friend-who has her own problems.
At her lowest ebb Marnie begins to sense that she is ‘not alone’
and has a feeling that there is a ‘presence’ around her. Then appears
Jeff
Advice for Strays is a moving novel of relationships between friends, family and your own self. It questions how we deal with those we love, the guilt involved and the various mechanisms at work that help us cope, sometimes well, sometimes poorly with issues of life that may, in the end, be easier to deal with directly, instead of constructing the stories we tell ourselves that ultimately serve to avoid confrontation. Stylistically Killkerr is very self aware. Her prose has an ethereal texture i ...more
Britta Jensen
I really like the style of writing: very interesting!
Emma Suvall
I found the story confusing in the beginning, especially with the changing of narrators. However, once I was about half way through, I couldn't put it down. I didn't "fall in love" with the characters as I often do, so for me, there weren't many emotions. Overall I enjoyed the story and would recommend it to Dan Rhodes fans.
Amy
I'm not sure I can accurately put into words how much I adored this book! The author's way with words created a novel that is poetic yet simplistic at the same time. It was refreshing to read something so well-written by a first time author and I'm a sucker for unique plots which this one definitely had.
Shawna Foster
A beautiful book depicting characters dealing with loss. Masterfully created in an eretheal manner, it shows how hopes and wishes mingle in and out of reality; how people lost from us still live in our heads, and how the cat(s) came back.

Oh, and a MUST READ!
Amanda
Will probably try to review this at a later date. I was torn between two and three stars, because I was very into this book up until the end. It kind of lost me a bit, and I was very unhappy when I finished it.
Mira
This is one of the weirder books I've read. I found it depressing and a struggle to get through. I didn't like all the switching narrators and didn't like the main character either. Bit of a silly book choice for me!!
Brent Hammond
This book is magical and witty and delightful and a bit melancholy, very much like its author. Well worth the time and care required to read it.
Joanne Harding
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kathleen Miller
Beautifully told, breathtakingly written. It grabbed me from the first sentence and didn't let go for a second. A stunning debut novel.
Britta Jensen
I was misled that this was YA, but found the narrative to be something I couldn't quite engage with.
Katie
A peculiar book. Well written, carefully thought out. Not enough resolution for me in the ending though.
Janet
lovely, haunting.
multiple perspectives. fugue states.
read it
M F
Apr 11, 2010 M F is currently reading it
So excited to finally be reading this!
Holly Brinsdon
Holly Brinsdon marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Raimonda
Raimonda marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Aura
Aura marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
J
J marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Last Year Of Being Married (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love Is a Survivor of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Butterfly Box
  • One Foot Wrong
  • Little Hands Clapping
  • The Labyrinth Gate
  • The Children
  • Chaos Space (Sentients of Orion, #2)
  • God Loves Hair
  • Descent to the Goddess: A Way of Initiation for Women (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 6)
  • Am I Black Enough For You?
  • Friends to the End: The True Value of Friendship