Start by marking “The Lady of Shalott (Visions in Poetry)” as Want to Read:
The Lady of Shalott (Visions in Poetry)

The Lady of Shalott (Visions in Poetry)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,193 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
The Lady of Shalott is the third book in Visions in Poetry, an award-winning series of classic poems illustrated by outstanding contemporary artists in stunning hardcover editions.

Tennyson's beautiful and enigmatic poem of unrequited love, set in Arthurian England, has enthralled artists for well over a century. With her luminous illustrations, Geneviève Côté weaves a ref
Published September 1st 2009 by Kids Can Press (first published 1833)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady of Shalott, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady of Shalott

Bookworm Sean
Sep 16, 2015 Bookworm Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
This poem is one of the first I ever read, and is a true pleasure to read aloud. Go on, give it a try! But, perhaps only do so when nobody else is in the house, to save embarrassment.

The Lady of Shallot is a lonely figure; she is isolated form the world and stuck up in a tower. She can only look out and admire the world that she cannot touch and cannot take part in. The world is separated from her by the height of the tower and the river moat that surrounds it, it constantly reminds her that she
Lynne King
May 12, 2014 Lynne King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This suits my current frame of mind beautifully.

An absolutely splendid work. That's all I need to say.

I read it years ago but now it seems to have had more of a profound impact on me for some obscure reason.

It's short but one can really savour all the nuances.

I especially liked:

"“She left the web, she left the loom,
She made three paces through the room,
She saw the water-lily bloom,
The mirror crack'd fr
Jonathan

Alongside Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven, Alfred Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott stands as one of the more fascinating works of poetry from the 1800s. Aesthetically it is a work of great and simply beauty, therefore providing evidence that language in a poetic simplicity can provide some of the greatest and most beautiful ideas and images. After all, in the Bible, the splendour of light was released with 'Let there be light.'

The poem appears simple on the outside, with a nice flowing rhythm, reinfor
Manny
Dec 24, 2011 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a nice moment in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie which references this poem. They're reading it in class, and they've just reached the line
And round about the prow she wrote: 'The Lady of Shalott'.
The schoolgirl, daydreaming and only half paying attention, imagines herself talking with Tennyson's eponymous heroine.

"What did you write it with?" she asks.

"I found a pot of paint on the bank," replies the Lady. "It had probably been left there by one of the Unemployed."
Kelly
My favorite poem. Even after all these years, it still gets to me. It is long, but worth it, I feel. I beg of you to read past the Romantic descriptions of nature and the older English to what's really in there:

On either side the river lie
Long fields of barley and of rye,
That clothe the wold and meet the sky;
And through the field the road run by
To many-tower'd Camelot;
And up and down the people go,
Gazing where the lilies blow
Round an island there below,
The island of Shalott.

Willows whit
Nihan
Jul 02, 2013 Nihan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Lanetlendiği için Camelot'un yüksek kulelerinden birine hapsedilen bir kadını anlatır. Kadının kuleden dışarı bakması kesinlikle yasaktır, eğer dışarı çıkarsa ya da pencereden bakarsa ölecektir.
Tek avuntusu kulenin duvarına asılı olan bir aynanın gösterdikleridir. Bazen güneşli bir sabahta göğe uzanan sazları, bazen de iki aşık çiftin el ele dolaşmalarını izler.

Sonra günlerden bir gün şovalyelerin gelişini görür. Başlarında Sir Lancelot vardır. Sir Lancelot o kadar muhteşem, o kadar ulaşılmaz gö
Mira
Dec 24, 2011 Mira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mysterious, full of life, beauty, colors, and of passion: The Lady of Shalott is one of the most beautiful poems I've ever read. The skilful hands of painter John William Waterhouse -through his collection of paintings illustrating this tale- were the first to make me acquainted with the poem, and then there was Loreena Mckennitt's wonderful lyrical cover of the ballad. Thus the myth of The Lady of Shalott combines my favourite three forms of sublime art: poetry, music, and painting.

The descrip
Liz Janet
Jan 22, 2016 Liz Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This story is loosely based on the tale of Elaine of Astolat, and of her love for Lancelot, which in this poem brings upon her a curse that leaves her dead. Arthurian legends defined my childhood, so it is only basic that such a poem would mark me.
The Lady cannot look upon the people, so she stares through a mirror at the road and sees Lancelot, and falls in love with him, her desire to go after him, but most importantly break free, dooms her.
"Under tower and balcony,
By garden wall and gallery
Prashant
Apr 06, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
The entire poem is given in the description and I just read it twice.

Here is the tragedy of love.

The tragedy of weaving your world the way you expect it to be.

The desire to risk everything you have for the want of that fleeting moment.

The curse of seeing the world through something else then your own eyes.

The mark on your possessions so that everyone would know who you were when you are gone.

The fatal nature of the very thing that you always wanted to have the most.

The recognition gained b
Huda AbuKhoti
Aug 27, 2012 Huda AbuKhoti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Huda by: Mira
Shelves: art, poetry
This poem has left me with a calm melancholy. Beauty, art, deprivation, infatuation, and a tragic liberating ending, it has it all.

I read the scanned papers of a beautiful edition by Mead Dodd with splendid illustrations, published in 1881. It elevated the poetry to a whole different level.

This ballad, in my opinion deals with human nature, its needs and longings. The Lady of Shalott is a woman who's under a curse that she knows nothing about its cause. Forced to see the world in a two dimensi
Danielle
May 20, 2010 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm bored at work and was just messing around goodreads when I happened upon this. Low and behold, the entire poem is in the description. Take a few minutes out of your day and read this beautiful poem. I guarantee you'll want to take a few minutes out of a few more days to read it again.

Arthurian legends are so full of adventure and intrigue that they are near irresistible in and of themselves, but turn prose to verse and you suddenly have something else entirely more magical (like one of my o
Miriam
Aug 16, 2009 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, victorian
I haven't seen this illustrated version, I'll have to find it.
For anyone who really likes this poem, I recommend picking up a critical edition such as Ricks' Tennyson, which shows changes the poet made, sometimes even after the original publication. Mostly notably, in earlier versions of the poem the Lady arrives still alive before the knights and makes a declaration before dying; this was later changed to the standard version where she arrives already deceased and "has a lovely face."
Melissa Coyle
A beautiful, sad poem. I love the black and White illustrations by Charles Keeping, but a bit evocative for children.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, arthurian
1982

I think I like it more as I get older, and see it quoted all over the place. The lines are lovely, the rhythm soothing, even if there's not much there. I think it's funny that Lancelot is described, but not The Lady.
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
The Lady Of Shalott by Alfred Lord Tennyson.

The poem was calm at first, telling about the setting of it and the Lady. Not many lines, few lines that make a picture in your head. Later, more comes, and the lady is no more...
This is NOT a review, I dunno what to say...

...

Only reapers, reaping early,
In among the bearded barley
Hear a song that echoes cheerly
From the river winding clearly;

...

All in the blue unclouded weather
Thick-jewell'd shone the saddle-leather,
The helmet and the helmet-feath
Pritam Chatterjee
The poem is an wonderful example of word-painting by the most appropriate successor of Wordsworth to the position of Poet Laureate, Alfred Lord Tennyson. That the poem is the manifestation of the poet's mere fascination of a medieval lore, far away from his immediate world, can be safely snubbed through proper and minute analysis. The poem may be said to bear three principal themes. The first and the most popular is that it states how an artist's vision is shattered by a callous world. The secon ...more
Jessica
I've heard Megan Follows recite this so often recently that I had to read it for myself. I find I'll have to read it a few more times before I can fully appreciate it, but the recitation travels over the tongue as melodious as music. For that alone it gets 3 stars and probably a higher rating with future reads.
Ryan
Jan 21, 2016 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Certainly one of the most remarkable, moving and memorable poems I've ever read and heard!
Momchil Dimitrov
Jan 04, 2016 Momchil Dimitrov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW I MUST read more romantic poems.. especially the ones like this one that inspired Waterhouse
Anne (Anneshka)
Oh I really liked this!
SarahC
I want to warn you that if someone offers you the choice of this book or a box of chocolate, you might want to take the book. It is lovely, filled with luminous pastel art, front to back. Seriously the kind of edition you want to tuck under your pillow like you did when you were little. I got it out last night and reread it and just thought I would post it in case some one is looking for a last minute gift for someone.

Enjoy.
Lee Regan
Jan 01, 2010 Lee Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"She left the web, left the loom,
She made three paces thro' the room,
She saw the water-lilly bloom,
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
'The curse is come upon me,' cried
The Lady of Shalott."
Lady of Shalott, Part III
Michael Jones
For me, this poem's sense of rhythm and the idea that I am flowing down a river is extremely pleasurable reading. I have read it to my children quite a few times, and they enjoy even though they may not fully understand it.
Nikki
I am not ashamed to say that I cried.
Fascinating, well-written, enchanting...
Anna
Jul 11, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Loved it when I first read it, and now love it even more now that I know more about Victorians and Victorian Literature.
Riff Denbow
One of my very favourite poems, wonderful and majestic, my favourite of Tennyson's Arthurian poems.
Sophia
Dec 27, 2008 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is for school, but when I read it I can't help but think about Anne of Green Gables...haha
Kelly
Such a tragic and beautifully evocative work of art.
Lynn
Oct 01, 2014 Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is the type of poem that requires more reading and analysis than to get it the first try.

I read it thrice and I still did not understand why she was cursed or became a butterfly. I guess inference and extrapolation is necessary. Nowhere did it mention in there that she was infatuated with Lancelot at all. But it did infer that she was a seamstress and you're supposed to infer that she's trapped by the times, where men roamed free and women could only sew behind glass walls...

Quite beautiful
Margaret Alyse
Jul 05, 2012 Margaret Alyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La Dame de Shalott est l'un des plus beaux poèmes, des obsédants que j'ai jamais lus. Je pense que la raison, il est en est ainsi parce qu'il est tellement différent de notre monde d'aujourd'hui - les malédictions, les chevaliers, dames pris au piège dans les tours. . . ce poème est l'évasion parfaite du monde réel, et je pense que c'est une des raisons pour lesquelles il est si chère. Tennyson est un écrivain remarquable, et certainement savaient filer un conte - et en étant capable de laisser ...more
  • The Highwayman
  • Annabel Lee
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Rape of the Lock
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
Alfred Tennyson was born in Somersby, Lincolnshire, the fourth of the twelve children of George Tennyson, clergyman, and his wife, Elizabeth. In 1816 Tennyson was sent to Louth Grammar School, which he disliked so intensely that from 1820 he was educated at home until at the age of 18 he joined his two brothers at Trinity College, Cambridge and with his brother Charles published his first book, Po ...more
More about Alfred Lord Tennyson...

“I am half-sick of shadows,' said The Lady of Shalott.” 128 likes
“She left the web, she left the loom,
She made three paces through the room,
She saw the water-lily bloom,
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.”