Start by marking “The Power of a Positive Mom” as Want to Read:
The Power of a Positive Mom

The Power of a Positive Mom

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  72 reviews
If you are a mother, you may not look in the mirror everyday and see yourself as having a great influence on the world, but you do! No one has a greater impact on the home than a mother, and that impact can be defeatingly negative or powerfully positive. This book will help ensure that your impact is positive. In the pages of this insightful and inspiring book, you will le ...more
Paperback, Revised, 304 pages
Published April 10th 2007 by Howard Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of a Positive Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of a Positive Mom

Tristen
I would like to start of saying this is a wonderful devotional for busy moms everywhere. I would say it took less than thirty minutes to get through my devotional for the day and really that is about all busy moms have time to do.
Each devotional for the week has a Key scripture, a couple little inspirational quotes, a mom reflection, a place to put your thoughts , a prayer , choices you can make based on what you have read , and then some further reading from the Bible. I found it refreshing to
Darci
Ok, so I bought this at Deseret Book, then I get into it and it has these weird "prayers" at the end of each chapter- so NOT an LDS author,(I haven't cross referenced the bible scriptures she gives to see if they're accurate). But the actual chapter material is good. It's the kind of stuff you "know" but don't really "think" about and consciously do with the intent of improving your kids' esteem etc...I guess since reading it I have made a more deliberate effort to do these kinds of things, and ...more
Brooke
This is a great book and well written by the author. As many other reviewers mention there isn't any new and earth shattering in this book however there were many parts in it that I thought helped me. As parents we can't possibly know everything or have thought of everything so it was great to get some new insights on dealing with stressful situations. The author has great examples about how to begin to implement change in your life as a mother. We all have days where we know we didn't win paren ...more
Stacy
Melody
I liked the book, but felt it was written for a mom with younger kids, or a mom who is a young believer. I'd give it a "10" in content, but a "3" in usefulness to my personal life.

I did fill out the "Personal Statement of Belief and Purpose" found below:

I believe Christ died on the cross for my sins and his Holy Spirit dwells within me, helping me to live according to God's will each day. It is my ultimate goal in life to honor him in all I do.

I believe I was created by God with unique gifts, ta
Ashley Danielle
I read this book every time i need a parental 'pick-me-up'. It inspires me to try to understand and discipline my kids with a more positive, encouraging attitude. That being said... its probably quite easy for a woman with her kids out of her house to teach on how to always be uplifting and encouraging and keep a real 'go get em' attitude. For those of us who are currently raising young children... positive thinking isnt something that comes so easily after you have vacuumed up 3 boxes of cereal ...more
Ainahoi
I like this book. Its bring me back to God n rethink how have I being managing my family. It brings outs many good points/ views in things that are biblical. I think it is not just good for mum but generally for anyone, you need to work on these principles to manage your life well. I recommend ti my husband as basic life principle applies to all.
Trish
This book offers lots of useful information.
Sara
This was a motivating book. There were a few parts that seemed weird, but I skipped over those and found a lot of positive reinforcement that I needed to hear as a mother to young children.
Sophie
Mar 14, 2008 Sophie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All mother's
Recommended to Sophie by: The Library
I first listened to the CD's of this book. It has totally changed the way I think of Motherhood. I know I've heard about the importance of being a mom a thousand times, but this really struck home to me. Maybe I just needed a reminder of why I chose to be a mom. Facing Kelly's Deployment has me searching for ways to get through and have us all not only survive, but also thrive. I think we will have a much more positive experience now, because I will be setting the more positive mood in the home. ...more
Heather Lei
Jan 12, 2010 Heather Lei rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heather Lei by: Mom's Time Out
I read this in a mom's book study group. It kept me going through the end of my pregnancy and the first few weeks of my baby's life where I was disheartened and felt that I wasn't cut out for motherhood.

She encourages and challenges the reader. My brain won't let me finish the review because it is having trouble forming coherent sentences. It was a good book. If you want a good perspective on motherhood with some good ideas thrown in... read it.
Alison
A nice encouraging read--no earth-shaking revelations (sample chapter: encourage your kids; don't call them stupid.) It did make me feel convicted about my lack of a daily regular prayer time. I know I need to discipline myself in that area. The message was that you as a mom are very important in your kids' lives so make sure you give them more than regular meals and clean clothes. They need plenty of love and positive teaching and feedback too.
Angela
I really enjoyed this book. So many of the points made were good reminders or things we don't consider in our daily life. They were truly simple elements but consider smiling and find ways to affirm your children. In a world full of negative, I was glad to read some Godly truth and have some practical applications that I could immediately put into practice. Karol was full of ideas and suggestions that were also helpful.
Alison
I had high hopes for this book and picked it up after a night of feeling "like a bad mom!" If I prayed for all the things the author suggests and all the times of the day she suggests you pray (including a closet in the house dedicated to your prayers), there literally would not be any time in the day. I am all for "giving it up to prayer", but was hoping for a more practical book! I am feeling better though :)
Jamie Ayres
I read this with several other ladies as part of a bible study group. The chapters were short and sweet and gave me more direction in what to read during my devotional times. Funny how each chapter came at "just the right time" in my life! I would recommend this to moms and teachers . . . probably the two biggest jobs in the world where it's absolutely critical to keep a positive attitude, IMHO!
L
I so wish I had a group to discuss this book with... it is really designed for a study group. Though I do like having it by my bedside table to pick up now & then for continual inspiration. Plus I love that it while it directs you to your Bible & motivates you to study scripture with the concepts, it doesn't require that for you read a chapter and reflect in and of itself.
Stephanie
I loved this book!! I am in a Wednesday morning group led by my church's pastor's wife. The group members were all mothers of young children! We would read over the sections and then have discussion on it. We enjoyed it so much that we are going to try to do another study by this same author. It definately had a lot of good ideas that were practical to use. Highly recommend!!
Melanie
Nothing new or groundbreaking in this book on motherhood, but lots of valuable reminders about smiling, forgiving, creating traditions, and praying. Ladd is a Christian author and she shares many scriptures, prayers and gospel insights. I appreciate any religious literature that encourages following the Savior and exercising deliberate motherhood.
Kim
I particularly liked chapters 1-5 and chapters 9-12. I skimmed through the rest of it, but took notes primarily from chapters 1-5. Even though some of the content was generally a good reminder, there were a few thoughts and stories I pondered on. I also appreciated the fact that the author referred to God and the Bible frequently.
Lain
While nothing in the book was a huge revelation ("your kids model themselves after you," "take care of yourself," "take care of your marriage," etc.), it was all a good reminder -- and it was nice to have the Biblical citations to back up the principles. Ladd is a great writer, making the material very easy and entertaining to read.
Stacie
Every mom should read this book. It is and easy, fun read and so uplifting. It helps keep life as a mother in perspective. Originally, I thought I would buy this book and pass it along after reading. No way! This is a book I will keep and highlite and read again and again. I will be a better mom after this. It is a power read.
Jamey
This could be an eye-opener for a lot of moms in today's world. It certainly was a nice refresher course for me, and I appreciated the strong Christian values and Biblical foundation all throughout the book. Karol Ladd has many solid principles she puts forth in this book, and every mom can benefit from reading it.
Jeanne
I really would give this 3 and a half or four stars, if I was a younger mom. I really need to be more positive, but most of my kids are grown, and some of the advice is past for me. This is from a Christian perspective, and sometimes she gets too preachy for me, but i would recommend it to any young mother.
Stephenie
Lots of good reminders in this book. The information is really nothing new, but the bibilcal references were helpful. A great book to use during your quiet time since it refers to many verses to look up and study. I recommend this for any Christian mom who's looking for a little inspiration.
Shaunna
Mar 18, 2008 Shaunna is currently reading it
Again, don't have a whole lot of time to read, but I am very intersted in getting through this book and hopefully learning how to appreciate the ups and downs in this journey of motherhood that I am on. Plus, my kids deserve the best of me and any advise, good and bad, helps me to grow.
Elizabeth Allen
This is not my kind of book and I didn't want to read it. It was given to me and so I crawled through it in 5-page increments. I did get a few good ideas of things to do with my family, but overall it was more like a cheery pep-talk that I've heard so many times before.
Stacy
So I haven't finished the book because I got bored with it. There's a LOT of "DUH" information in it. There are a few good ideas to implement when my kids get older, but I've already forgotten them. Effective book, eh? Maybe I'll pick it up again when I get desperate...
Lain
There isn't anything here that is a real eye-opener, but Ladd shares the truths we already know with humor and wit, as well as a gentle guiding hand. Never preachy, always warm, this book will serve as a great reminder of what it takes to be a good mom.
  • The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart for Eternity
  • Taking Care of the Me in Mommy: Becoming a Better Mom - Spirit, Body & Soul
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood
  • A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood
  • Bringing Up Kids Without Tearing Them Down How To Raise Confident, Successful Children
  • Moments Together For Couples: Devotions for Drawing Near to God and One Another
  • Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
  • She's Gonna Blow!
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Boundaries with Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • 52 Things Kids Need from a Mom: What Mothers Can Do to Make a Lifelong Difference
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • A Mom After God's Own Heart: 10 Ways to Love Your Children
  • The Power of a Praying Parent
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
The Power of a Positive Wife Power of a Positive Woman The Power of a Positive Mom & The Power of a Positive Woman A Woman's Passionate Pursuit of God: Creating a Positive & Purposeful Life The Power of a Postive Mom Devotional: 52 Monday Morning Motivations