Start by marking “Aldrig godnatt” as Want to Read:
Aldrig godnatt

Aldrig godnatt

Södermalm, Stockholm, 1982. Coco har känt Klara och Matilda sedan folkdansen på lågstadiet. Nu ska de starta punkband och bli bättre än the Clash. Svårt bara när man inte har annat än kuddar och kastruller att spela på...

Aldrig godnatt är en vacker och humoristisk berättelse om att växa upp, om att äta fiskpinnar ensam i köket när mamma är på Café Opera och om en vänskap s
Published 2008 by Kartago Förlag

To ask other readers questions about Aldrig godnatt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aldrig godnatt

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
About a year ago, my family and I found this Swedish movie called "We Are The Best!" on Netflix and decided to give it a try. The film, which is about a trio of teenage girls who decide to start a punk band, immediately became one of my favorites. It's funny, it's heartfelt, and the three young main actresses are absolutely wonderful.

After seeing the movie, I was excited to find out that it was based on this graphic novel––titled Never Goodnight. I finally got around to reading it, and I enjoye
David Schaafsma
The Swedish graphic novel that inspired Lukas Moodysson's film ‘We Are the Best!’ which I tend to think would be better than this memoir. It was first published in Swedish on 2008, and was released recently this year (2015) in English.

It's pretty fun, the story of how Moodyson and her two friends grew up moving from Swedish folk dancing to an interest in punk. They work hard especially on getting the hair right, of course. They dream in that spacy teenaged way of forming a punk band, but they d
Arielle Walker
Nov 26, 2015 Arielle Walker marked it as to-read-cant-find
I really, really want to read this but obviously the language may make things difficut as the only words I (think I) know in Swedish are ones that look similar to German, which may or may not actually mean completely different things and as my German is now pretty terrible that probably still won't even be helpful in the slightest... But the film of this was amazing, so I'm hoping for a translation at some point (or a bilingual swedish friend who wants to read me the book).
Nov 22, 2015 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugly-cute: the only description of adolescence, and also the spirit and look of this naive graphic novel about Swedish misfit girls. The movie adaptation "We Are The Best!" is deeper, not to mention the movie that has made me laugh the most, but the source is good too.
Jo Coleman
Apr 15, 2015 Jo Coleman rated it really liked it
Sadie Forsythe
I don't really know what to say on this. Someone else called it ugly-cute and I think that's an apt description. It is undeniably cute, as children so often are. But It is also ugly. The drawing style is corse, the characters lumpy and lopsided with a tendency to be shown on the toilet or in other cringe-worthy positions. But it's about three female, punk tweens in 1982 Sweden. Nothing about them is frilly or girly or pretty and it's not supposed to be. In fact, this is a lot of what the book is ...more
Nose in a book (Kate)
12-year-old Coco lives with her divorced mother and her 17-year-old sister Magda. Their mum’s a bit of a party animal and gives the girls a lot of freedom. Coco’s best friend since third grade is Klara. Klara’s big sister Matilda (her age is never given but it’s implied she’s very close in age) often hangs out with them, and the three of them have decided to start a punk band. None of them can play an instrument but it’s punk, so that doesn’t matter.

The story is about female friendship first and
Look, it's weird, okay?

Never Goodnight is a Swedish graphic novel recently translated into English. It's about three girl friends growing up in 1980s Sweden who want to be in a punk band. But they're only 11/12 years old so mostly they play on pillows, pots, and pans. They do normal young people things and dream about being in a successful punk band. At the end of the day, it's really about adolescence and female friendship which are things I enjoy reading about quite a bit.

The art style fits t
Apr 25, 2016 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, graphic-novels
I'm not sure why I didn't love this as much as other 'coming of age' books, and I think it's because we get the glorious awkwardness of middle school; where you want to be good at something without really wanting to work for it; where you like other people but you don't know how to deal with that; and you are constantly defining the world in tiny us vs them, usually based off whether they like the same things as you.

I think some of it is the truthful but unflattering vision of myself at that age
Jul 22, 2016 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After watching the movie adaptation, We Are the Best!, I feel like I can review this graphic memoir with some finality. For what it's worth, I liked the movie a lot more.

I think my big problem (besides that I hated the art style) was the lack of a central plot. And I understand: life doesn't always have a plot. But if you make the choice to adapt your coming of age story into a book, you have to be able to flesh out some of the non-essential aspects of your upbringing. Maybe it made the story fe
I don't know why, but I thought I was going to love this and I didn't. There's something I just don't understand about teenage angst. It's like I experienced it, but I was battling such bigger issues then some cute boy so it really just doesn't jive with me. I was also very uncomfortable about how Coco treated the gay characters in the book. I don't know if it's alright to use a derragatory term for gay people and other them or it was just Sweden in the 80's but I didn't like it at all. Also if ...more
Samantha Bee
Jan 06, 2016 Samantha Bee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite cute and enjoyable. Really reminded me of being in my early teens, getting into punk music, and wanting a bass guitar more than anything. A quirky art style, and dialogue that sometimes broke through the fourth wall. It reminded me of a lot of the graphic novels I picked up this past semester for a graphic novel course, and I think anyone who enjoyed Walter Scott's Wendy might enjoy picking up this one too.
I received this graphic novel in my November Landfallfreight subscription.
Lol firstly I just want to point out that the cover art reminds me of Angela Anaconda lol. I wasn't the biggest fan of this book, I thought it was a bit odd especially since he characters were 12 & 13 and went to parties and got drunk. Does that happen in real life? Also was anyone else weirded out that they girls slept naked? Or without shirts because I was haha. I don't know I just didn't get it.
Three almost teenagers living in Sweden in the 80s.. this book was fun to read. Now I need to go find out about the movie!
Simon Sweetman
Enjoyed this, preferred the film - "We Are The Best!" (amazing film) - but was good to go back to the source material; I believe this was just recently translated given the success of the movie...
Dec 06, 2015 Tanya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lost in translation or not my cup of tea. I don't know which but this for sure was not for me. I received it in my Landfall subscription box and it was an epic fail.
Sarah Taylor
Dec 25, 2015 Sarah Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so warm after finishing this. What a wonderful reminder of just how great your best buddies are.
Jun 29, 2015 michelle rated it it was amazing
Så fin berättelse, och riktigt rolig. Hittade den via filmen Vi Är Bäst, en av mina favoritfilmer. Känner igen mig mycket i karaktärerna :)
Sep 21, 2016 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
twelvies starting a punk band in the 80s. nice.
Therese rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Kasia rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Emily Kittleson
Emily Kittleson rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
David Larsson
David Larsson rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2013
M rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2016
Better Off Read
Better Off Read rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2016
Biba rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Alison rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Almostfamous rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Mess of Everything
  • Chainmail Bikini: The Anthology of Women Gamers
  • Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
  • Kvinnor ritar bara serier om mens
  • Lucky