Start by marking “Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites” as Want to Read:

If you know HTML, this guide will have you building interactive websites quickly. You'll learn how to create responsive, data-driven websites with PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript, regardless of whether you already know how to program. Discover how the powerful combination of PHP and MySQL provides an easy way to build modern websites complete with dynamic data and user interact ...more
Paperback, 1st edition (newer editions available), 528 pages
Published July 21st 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript

The Cathedral & the Bazaar by Eric S. RaymondFree as in Freedom by Sam WilliamsLearning Perl by Randal L. SchwartzThe STREAM TONE by T. GillingProducing Open Source Software by Karl Franz Fogel
Open Source Technology books
10th out of 13 books — 18 voters
Don't Make Me Think by Steve KrugHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithJavaScript by David FlanaganThe Art & Science of CSS by Cameron AdamsDesigning With Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman
Web Development
72nd out of 73 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Abdollah2
Sep 03, 2013 Abdollah2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
اين كتاب باعث شد اسم رابين نيكسون هيچ وقت از خاطرم نره به خاطر نگارش فوق العاده روانش. كتاب خوبي بود. اينم كه روي نگارشش تاكيد دارم به خاطر اينه كه مثلا موقع خوندن كتاب هاي ديگه اذيت شدم. گاهي يه مطلب خيلي ساده رو كلي توضيح مي دن كه كسل كننده است.از جمله اخيرا ديدم ويرايش سوم Learning jQuery كه خود جان رزگ پيشگفتارش رو مي نويسه اينطوريه
Eric Phetteplace
Dec 18, 2011 Eric Phetteplace rated it liked it
Shelves: lis-web
This book gets a lot right but also has plenty of weaknesses. It's great to see MySQL (a database), JavaScript (a programming language that runs in the web browser), & PHP (a language that runs on the web server) taught together so one gets a sense of how they interact & why you would need all three to create dynamic sites. I suspect that learning any one in isolation would be frustrating, as you might get a solid understanding of the language but not be able to see how to integrate it i ...more
Joseph Leskey
Sep 10, 2016 Joseph Leskey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who likes/does web programming
I am a web developer myself and I can quite easily (and truthfully) state that this book can take somebody from being able to make an anchor in HTML to accessing databases (PHP, AJAX, and MySQL), utilizing AJAX (JavaScript and jQuery), creating dynamic and variable pages (JavaScript, CSS, and jQuery), creating absolutely wonderful designs (CSS), and being lazy efficient, quick, and powerful (jQuery and HTML5). Besides, it helps you get past all the woes of Internet Explorer! Need I say more? If ...more
Joss
Oct 25, 2011 Joss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a helpful book for a beginner in PHP and MySQL. I wish there were more references to all the built-in functions of the languages in the appendix but these are readily available on the developer sites for both MySQL and PHP.

I ordered the e-book version through O'Reilly and I really wished that it was a little more updated. The installation guidelines were obsolete which I would expect in a print book, but I had hoped the e-books were updated more frequently.

I missed seeing examples of h
Charlie Hebert
Jul 02, 2014 Charlie Hebert rated it did not like it
Although the book offers a decent introduction to some of the technologies outlined in its title and how they work together, I would not recommend this to someone wishing to start web development in 2014. The book's redeeming quality is that its chapters on MySQL, Javascript and CSS are somewhat useful as a basic introduction to some of the tools used in web development. It also provides some useful help in setting up a development environment.

I would argue, however, that the chapters on PHP co
Danielle Calhoun
Sep 16, 2015 Danielle Calhoun rated it it was amazing
This is truly a great read for anyone looking to expand their knowledge of PHP/MySQL/JavaScript/Ajax/CSS etc. I do think a general foundation of how internet programming/coding works is essential to dive right in, but I am by no means a professional or even at the intermediate level of many of these things and I understood everything pretty well. If you take some time to digest the info, it will work in your favor. If you take the time to follow along with the hands-on coding examples so you can ...more
Holly
I decided not to rate this book (the 3rd edition), because while it's a perfectly excellent book, the Goodreads star system grades books on enjoyability. I did not particularly enjoy this book. It's a text book. It was required for my class, which is required for my degree, and therefore it was useful.

Scripting is apparently something I am just not good at; therefore it's unfair of me to rank this book.

I'll be keeping the book though, and not only because the bookstore won't buy it back with a n
Arthur
Aug 16, 2014 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was quite a long review experience in my life! No wonder, the book is 700 pages long, but boy oh boy it is not boring at all. I confess I skipped a few pages here and there, but it was rewarding, I was even able to produce my own small, fully functional website in my company’s Intranet that receives requests for database backup restores and logs their processing history; MySQL, JavaScript and Ajax driven (yes, the book covers that, too). I must admit I did not use CSS as much as I should, but ...more
Andres
Nov 23, 2010 Andres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Despite the title (and as I expected,) this book is not the be-all end-all guide to everything PHP/MySQL/JavaScript. It gives you a good solid foundation for the tools you have on hand with all three technologies, and guides you down a simple path to integrating all three into the framework of a simple dynamic website. It gives you just enough exposure to make something concrete, but don't expect to learn about the more powerful tools you have at your disposal with each one.

Personally, the book'
Sunaina
I would recommend doing some basic Codecademy.com courses in PHP/SQL before diving into this book. I think this is a decent book, but I agree with the others who say you need SOME sort of background to really get the most out of this.
Joshua Mooney
Nov 08, 2014 Joshua Mooney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
An excellent introduction to the basics of web design that teaches all the necessary components for designing very a simple, functional website. Highly recommended to those eager to learn about web design, but unsure of where to start.
Dennis Blanchard
May 06, 2015 Dennis Blanchard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Geeks interested in the title applications.
Recommended to Dennis by: Found at local library and bought it.
Shelves: software, web
This book is a nice combination of all three applications. This is appropriate since they really all do work in unison. I really like how everything fits together so well.
Additionally, there are a ton of very useful links and references to find tools to follow along with the book. This is one of the better ones I've seen for this software.
To fully appreciate the book, I recommend digging up an older PC, something running XP or Vista, and using it as a test bed.This frees up your day-to-day syste
Mahmoud Tantawy
May 06, 2011 Mahmoud Tantawy rated it really liked it
The book is very good and recommended for beginners who want to get in the web development field fast as possible.

But it is not recommended for those who intend to dive deep in web development or in any of the topics which the book discuss, PHP, MySQL, or JavaScript!

My own recommendation for anyone who want to start Web Developing and dive deep in it is to read this book to touch different technologies used in the field, then read about each technology separately, and read about web application
Shaher Jamal Eddin
It is a solid book in terms of introductory information for the discussed technologies, however I did not like the structure of the book especially the HTML5 section, as I think the canvas element was over-explained over the other features. I would not recommend this book to a total beginner as I think he/she would be lost in no time.
Brandon Cole
Apr 05, 2011 Brandon Cole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
It is a nice book that helped start me into PHP programming. Decent read but the book I think should have went more in depth on PHP programming and done less with MySQL. The storage of the information is easily worked out but the programming features take a bit more and are less easily grasped. This book along with a book or some information on OOP PHP would make a great way to learn PHP web development.
Mike
Feb 17, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
This book seemed like a time- and money-saving way to learn three different technologies. I also thought it would be a good way to learn how the technologies mesh with each other. Perhaps for a rank beginner, that would be true, but this book left me wanting deeper coverage of each subject. So, I think I'd advise buying separate books (O'Reilly, of course) on each subject.
Dave Mackey
Apr 28, 2015 Dave Mackey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid read. One of the best I have read that approaches multiple technologies simultaneously. That said, some sections will be difficult for those without prior programming experience, other sections could perhaps have been condensed as the commands are not utilized frequently.
Marc
May 18, 2013 Marc rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Good information, but too technical with little application. I need to work through problems, not simply input pre-written code to get my head around programming concepts. Might be a good reference later. But what I did get through was a hard slog.
Joshua Goller
Jun 18, 2015 Joshua Goller rated it liked it
I read most of the sections on PHP and Javascript in this book - I recommend this frequently to people with some programming experience but no understanding in web development. It's a good text for "0-to-website.
Thomas
May 22, 2013 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seems a very solid introduction to the craft. You won't learn everything you need to know, but there's a lot in here, and not all of it is available at W3schools. It's surprisingly concise, given the range of content.
Lisa
Apr 05, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uni-stuff
This book was helping me a lot to understand PHP and MySQL way better. It's an easy guide and if you want to get involved with programming and creating dynamic websites, you should definitely check it out.
Jimyip
Feb 23, 2016 Jimyip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressively written. Showing examples on how to write code for interactive website. The book also provides important precautions for preventing hackers from code injection and other security holes.

Todd Thelin
Jan 25, 2011 Todd Thelin rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-design
The writing was decent and the information was good, but the code wasn't that great at all. I would have liked to see more code examples of what you could do with what you are learning. My thoughts are my own.
J.E. Spatafore
Jun 30, 2014 J.E. Spatafore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better books out there on the subject. When paired with PHP and MySQL Web Development, makes for a good and solid understanding of how to program for the web world.
Piyush Agrawal
Jason
Dec 15, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great reference that covers a wide range of topics regarding PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript - from the basics of how functions work to implementing a secure database.
Sam
Aug 13, 2012 Sam rated it liked it
Decent foundation, but it seemed like some of the techniques were dated. Not a bad first book on the subject, though it could have been shorter.
Holly
Jun 05, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Excellent! Easy to read, straightforward guide. Already learned several very useful things.
  • Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL
  • CSS Cookbook
  • Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional
  • Hardboiled Web Design
  • Head First JavaScript
  • Learning PHP 5
  • PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • The Book of CSS3: A Developer's Guide to the Future of Web Design
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • Head First PHP & MySQL
  • PHP Cookbook
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Building iPhone Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript: Making App Store Apps Without Objective-C or Cocoa
  • MySQL Cookbook
  • HTML5: The Missing Manual
  • CSS: The Missing Manual

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »