Start by marking “Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript” as Want to Read:
Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript

Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  21 reviews
If you know HTML, this guide will have you building interactive websites quickly. You'll learn how to create responsive, data-driven websites with PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript, regardless of whether you already know how to program. Discover how the powerful combination of PHP and MySQL provides an easy way to build modern websites complete with dynamic data and user interact ...more
Published July 21st 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript

The Cathedral & the Bazaar by Eric S. RaymondFree as in Freedom by Sam WilliamsLearning Perl by Randal L. SchwartzProducing Open Source Software by Karl Franz FogelRuby Best Practices by Gregory Brown
Open Source Technology books
9th out of 12 books — 12 voters
Don't Make Me Think by Steve KrugHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithThe Art & Science of CSS by Cameron AdamsDesigning With Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanJavaScript by Douglas Crockford
Web Development
69th out of 70 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric Phetteplace
This book gets a lot right but also has plenty of weaknesses. It's great to see MySQL (a database), JavaScript (a programming language that runs in the web browser), & PHP (a language that runs on the web server) taught together so one gets a sense of how they interact & why you would need all three to create dynamic sites. I suspect that learning any one in isolation would be frustrating, as you might get a solid understanding of the language but not be able to see how to integrate it i ...more
Joss
This was a helpful book for a beginner in PHP and MySQL. I wish there were more references to all the built-in functions of the languages in the appendix but these are readily available on the developer sites for both MySQL and PHP.

I ordered the e-book version through O'Reilly and I really wished that it was a little more updated. The installation guidelines were obsolete which I would expect in a print book, but I had hoped the e-books were updated more frequently.

I missed seeing examples of h
Charlie Hebert
Although the book offers a decent introduction to some of the technologies outlined in its title and how they work together, I would not recommend this to someone wishing to start web development in 2014. The book's redeeming quality is that its chapters on MySQL, Javascript and CSS are somewhat useful as a basic introduction to some of the tools used in web development. It also provides some useful help in setting up a development environment.

I would argue, however, that the chapters on PHP co
Andres
Despite the title (and as I expected,) this book is not the be-all end-all guide to everything PHP/MySQL/JavaScript. It gives you a good solid foundation for the tools you have on hand with all three technologies, and guides you down a simple path to integrating all three into the framework of a simple dynamic website. It gives you just enough exposure to make something concrete, but don't expect to learn about the more powerful tools you have at your disposal with each one.

Personally, the book'
Joshua Mooney
An excellent introduction to the basics of web design that teaches all the necessary components for designing very a simple, functional website. Highly recommended to those eager to learn about web design, but unsure of where to start.
Dennis Blanchard
May 06, 2015 Dennis Blanchard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Geeks interested in the title applications.
Recommended to Dennis by: Found at local library and bought it.
Shelves: software, web
This book is a nice combination of all three applications. This is appropriate since they really all do work in unison. I really like how everything fits together so well.
Additionally, there are a ton of very useful links and references to find tools to follow along with the book. This is one of the better ones I've seen for this software.
To fully appreciate the book, I recommend digging up an older PC, something running XP or Vista, and using it as a test bed.This frees up your day-to-day syste
Mahmoud Tantawy
The book is very good and recommended for beginners who want to get in the web development field fast as possible.

But it is not recommended for those who intend to dive deep in web development or in any of the topics which the book discuss, PHP, MySQL, or JavaScript!

My own recommendation for anyone who want to start Web Developing and dive deep in it is to read this book to touch different technologies used in the field, then read about each technology separately, and read about web application
Brandon Cole
It is a nice book that helped start me into PHP programming. Decent read but the book I think should have went more in depth on PHP programming and done less with MySQL. The storage of the information is easily worked out but the programming features take a bit more and are less easily grasped. This book along with a book or some information on OOP PHP would make a great way to learn PHP web development.
Mike
This book seemed like a time- and money-saving way to learn three different technologies. I also thought it would be a good way to learn how the technologies mesh with each other. Perhaps for a rank beginner, that would be true, but this book left me wanting deeper coverage of each subject. So, I think I'd advise buying separate books (O'Reilly, of course) on each subject.
Marc
Good information, but too technical with little application. I need to work through problems, not simply input pre-written code to get my head around programming concepts. Might be a good reference later. But what I did get through was a hard slog.
Joshua Goller
I read most of the sections on PHP and Javascript in this book - I recommend this frequently to people with some programming experience but no understanding in web development. It's a good text for "0-to-website.
Todd Thelin
The writing was decent and the information was good, but the code wasn't that great at all. I would have liked to see more code examples of what you could do with what you are learning. My thoughts are my own.
Piyush Agrawal
Sam
Decent foundation, but it seemed like some of the techniques were dated. Not a bad first book on the subject, though it could have been shorter.
Holly
Excellent! Easy to read, straightforward guide. Already learned several very useful things.
Arielle Nguyen
Well explained and very easy book for a semiformal intro to php (besides from reading php manual)
A-ron
Simple. Accessible. Well organized. Don't need to know how to program to get rolling.
Madalin
Pretty cool, covers many useful things and opens your mind on what to continue.
Chee Siang
this is a very good book for I.T student
Ezequiel Delpero
Muy buen libro para principantes.
Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Nikita Skitsko
Nikita Skitsko is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015
Abhinav Gupta
Abhinav Gupta marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Angel Bayraktarov
Angel Bayraktarov marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Rahulsharma
Rahulsharma marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Scott Forbes
Scott Forbes marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional
  • Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • CSS Cookbook
  • Learning PHP 5
  • Building iPhone Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript: Making App Store Apps Without Objective-C or Cocoa
  • MySQL Cookbook
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)
  • Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
  • Programming PHP
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Hardboiled Web Design
  • Head First PHP & MySQL

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Learning PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, and CSS: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites Robin Nixon's Html5 Crash Course Robin Nixon's CSS & CSS3 Crash Course Robin Nixon's PHP Crash Course Creative Visualization for Dummies