Start by marking “Percival the Plain Little Caterpillar” as Want to Read:
Percival the Plain Little Caterpillar

Percival the Plain Little Caterpillar

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Percival slept for a very long time. He dreamed of green and red and blue and pink and purple and yellow. And when he woke up, something wonderful had happened!
Board Books, 12 pages
Published December 28th 2005 by Penton Kids (first published May 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Percival the Plain Little Caterpillar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Percival the Plain Little Caterpillar

Caterpillar Rhyme Time by Della RoseTen Little Caterpillars by Bill Martin Jr.The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlie the Caterpillar by Dom DeluiseThe Caterpillar and the Polliwog by Jack Kent
Caterpillars
11th out of 11 books — 2 voters
Caterpillar's Dream by Roitman TrilloA Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts AstonButterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow by Joyce SidmanButterflies in the Garden by Carol LernerThe Butterfly by Patricia Polacco
Picture Books About Butterflies
96th out of 98 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarahlynn Lester
I have been growing frustrated with the portrayal of caterpillars in modern children's literature. What? You were expecting James Joyce?

"The Ugly Duckling" gets it right. The moral is that while the ugly duckling is, indeed, "ugly" for a duckling, he's not really ugly at all - he's just not a duckling. (I hope I didn't give away the surprise ending for anyone).

Percival the Plain Little Caterpillar and its ilk get it all wrong. Several of these newer books talk about the drab life of caterpillars
Kelly Thevenot
Percival the PLain Little Caterpillar is about a little brown caterpillar who notices that he is so plain compared to all the other beautiful colorful bugs. Although, Percival knew he was plain he still complimented the colorful bugs on how beautiful they were. He never let it get him down although he wished he was more colorful. He was always nice to everyone else, then one day he took a long nap and when he woke up he was a beautiful butterfly and all the other bugs never thought that Percival ...more
Robert
The story here isn't much. Rather, it's the textured brightly colored enhancements to each page that makes this. Percival the caterpillar notices all the wonderful colors about him. Each animal makes his case for why his particular color is the best. Percival feels sorrow since he is so plain. He goes to sleep dreaming of colors. When he awakens, he emerges a brightly multi-colored butterfly.
Inspired Kathy
Great sparkly pictures my children loved. Fun to read. But I do have to agree with another reveiw I read... Percival was sad because he wasn't beautiful and then fell asleep and work up a beautiful butterfly. It would be so much nice if somehow he could have been happy how he was or found some beauty within.
Shelley
The caterpillar theme is really overused in children's stories. But the pictures are nice. Amir loves the shiny metallic colors, so I just let him look at that instead of reading it sometimes.

This book is Australian. I guess they call ladybugs "ladybirds".
Chelsea
Jul 25, 2011 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 2-6 years
What a beautiful story! And the art work in this book is amazing! The story shows the transformation of a little caterpillar, Percival. He not only grows physically but emotionally as well. I highly recommend this book for teaching self-esteem.
Dolly
Sep 22, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens, science
Pretty standard caterpillar turns into a butterfly story. This one is decorated with lots of sparkle pages, which our girls love.
Michelle White
I loved the pictures in this book. They were georgous. I think children would love this book to. I got it from the IUS Library.
Peyton Mary
I would read this book all the time to my dad when I was very young and is still one of my favorites.
Shelby Troutman
Great for younger children learning about their colors or the life cycle of a caterpillar.
Beth Claps
Beth Claps marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Vonnie
Vonnie marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Feb 26, 2015
Melody Hunter
Melody Hunter marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Audrey
Audrey added it
Feb 06, 2015
Lois Howard
Lois Howard marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Stacey
Stacey added it
Nov 10, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Little Dinosaur Gets Dressed Lucy the Star Catcher (Glitter Books) Percival the Baby Caterpillar Little Dinosaur Goes to School Percival The Caterpillar: Pop Up Fun