Start by marking “Rose: Love in Violent Times” as Want to Read:
Rose: Love in Violent Times

Rose: Love in Violent Times

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Praise for Cunt:

"Bright, sharp, empowering, long-lasting, useful, sexy."—San Francisco Chronicle

"Cunt does for feminism what smoothies did for high-fiber diets—it reinvents the oft-indigestible into something sweet and delicious."—BUST

"Cunt is one of the most dangerous books I ever read, ever."—Robin D. G. Kelley

With trademark precision and razor-sharp wit, Inga Muscio exp
Published March 1st 2010 by Seven Stories Press

To ask other readers questions about Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose

Anne Binsfeld
Inga Muscio: the most inspiring writer I have ever encountered
Angie Never
I love Inga Muscio, and reading her books is like having someone illuminate the half-formed ideas and worries that bounce around in my head all the time. It's a harsh read, and not for the overly-sensitive, but well-worth it if you're willing to take a realistic look at the types of relationships we create with each other.
Becky
What is love? What does it mean to you? What kinds of love are there? These are all themes in the book that I just read. The book is called, "rose : love in violent times" by Inga Muscio.

This book touches on the complexity of love and love in times that are violent, angry, frustrating, etc. Here are a few excerpts that I found that touched my inner me.

"One of the key hallmarks of real love--which our culture fails to identify for the most part--- is a commitment to adore the asshole that someon
Bob Redmond
Muscio's third book continues her unique mix of cultural commentary, autobiography, and -- something else, something more like scripture.

This last note is something I stole from Bill McKibben's introduction to Thoreau's Walden. Muscio, like Thoreau, is concerned with the well being of our souls, and there's no other way to describe the impact of her writing.

The book is about "Love in Violent Times" and is neatly organized into two halves.

Her Old Testament vibe is on in Part I ("Violence"), which
Tinea
Oh, this was not a good book. It wasn't good because it rambled; it was pointless and meandering and drifted off without following through on whatever interesting thoughts it did begin to raise. It touched on a lot of huge, important topics and intersections, and did so without any focus, attention, or research: it's an off the cuff, disorganized rant about ideas others have treated so much more profoundly. Why on earth did this author think she could do them any better, without referencing them ...more
Nate
This was a hard one to rate. I love "Cunt" so much, and found "Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil" to be pretty alright. "Rose" is ok, but I have some problems with it. I understand where she's coming from and more power to her, but I feel like she may have come at this from the wrong angle. Inga tries to redefine violence as a more inclusive word, including things like lying and cheating. She also argues that eating things like broccoli and carrots are violent things because you have to kill bu ...more
Leah Horlick
The strongest sections of this book are Muscio's opening and closing chapter, where she presents strategies for disarming forms of passive violence and alternatives to dominant, oppressive, and colonizing narratives of love, sex, and interaction. The chapters on violence themselves could have benefited from more detailed analysis -- particularly the chapter on sexual assault, which focused primarily on child abuse, and could perhaps have been divided into two sections. Overall, I didn't find Ros ...more
Emily
i started reading and rolled my eyes a little bit at her casual conversation style full of slang and swearing, but I really got into it, and the light tone helps balance the heavy-ass content of the book (i love heavy content, and sometimes don't have anything to balance it, and wallow in depression). she tackles war and rape and death and the challenges of healthy relationships. i talked about this book a lot in the week after i finished it, and i'd love to talk about it more, so read it!
Apatheticus
Relying on the shock value of describing gratuitous violence is cheap. We don't need to know why rape is bad or how prolific it is. We know, Muscio. Referring to how you understand the plight of survivors because of what your partner goes through, and how the littlest things make them have flashbacks, and admitting that one in three people are survivors, means nothing when you don't factor your readers' safety in, too. Like, can I get a trigger warning before you describe the stalking, rape, and ...more
Devin
A wonderful companion to Cunt, because while there is plenty to be angry about in it, it gives a fairly concrete way of dealing. It talks about love, and expanding our definition of love alongside an expanded definition of violence. When I felt absolutely incapable of dealing with the enormity of the perspectives in Cunt, I was recommended this book; it worked wonders, and really helped me clarify what I was trying to do with my concept of feminism.
Sally Sas Pants Pants
I think CUNT was enough,the tone in which she makes very apparent on women who are in the sex work industry which made me rather upset and uninterested in reading anything else by Inga Muscio. It just is sad when there is such a great divide on how women treat other women, whether it be within academia or on the streets I do not support hate when it comes to women vs other women. This book divides.
Cherie
A Fantastic. This book is to be read, devoured, delighted, pausing, oh, it's just brilliant. One thing she gets on is how violent and horrible rape/sexual assault is - but how accepted it is in our society, and how underpunished. Trigger warnings here…but mostly, full of love. I want to live my life like Inga's. Beautiful stuff here.
Eumelia
I came to this book with high expectations. I read "Cunt" and "Autobiography of a Blue Eyed Devil" when I was 20 and I read them both again when I was 25 or so.

Now, I'm 29, practically 30, and I read "Rose" and it did't move me half as much as Inga Muscio's previous books did.

Maybe I'm less receptive to her style than I was 10 and 5 years ago.

I'm much more cognizant of how American centric her view is, how Christian, she talks about accepting Jesus into her heart, she makes grand generalization
Raelene
Such a good read. Nice follow up to Cunt. Not as out there as Cunt, but still. Inga Muscio has a great mind, and I highly enjoy seeing where she goes with her feminism.
Interesting, though not as engaging as her previous 2 books.
Sarah Keliher
Holy shit, this book is amazing.
Lisa M.
Title: morning in the burned house

author: Margaret Atwood

Pages: 127

Structure: Five Parts

Plot: This poetry collection contains surreal poems, poems inspired by mythology/fairy tales, poetry about nature, and about death. The collection is dark and only gets darker as it goes on; there were also times where it felt as if it mocked the reader.

Review: I will admit, I’m not a huge Atwood fan. I’ve tried to read a few of her novels but never got into them— despite being impressed by their backs and h
Oliver Danni
Solid. I love how the author does not shy away from truth, but pulls the reader into deep recognition of the things that happen in the world from which we'd rather look away. It was difficult to read some of the things she needed to share, but until we live in a world where those things don't happen, I'm glad that there are people like Inga Muscio who have the courage to scream and shout about them.
K.
fabulous look at love, violence, relationships, humanity. and more. must read
I read this over three days, couldn't put it down. Muscio continues exploring some of the issues she wrote about in Cunt. She's smart, funny and emotionally honest without being maudlin. Memorable line: "A lover would know my deepest thoughts, traumas, and joys, as well as my body, sexuality, and how I express sexual intimacy. Someone who would know my family and all their truths. And mostly, someone who would know what an asshole I am, and proactively protect all of it."
Julia Glassman
I felt like this book didn't have much new to say on violence and radical love, and Muscio's habit of making broad declarations without any evidence or support was irritating. But it was stirring and moving and enjoyable, and for that it gets an extra star.
Miranda
Meh. I was expecting to be moved by some profound observations, rather than being subjected to the garrulous rantings of a writer who doesn't seem to have developed at all over the years. A far cry from Cunt.
Alex
So far, after the first couple of chapters I wonder whether or not the big picture fort the book is about violence in today's society or what the world is coming to.
Eileen
The main thing I took away here is that violence is more complicated than it seems, suffuses our lives a lot more than is obvious, and requires active awareness.
James
Ranty, depressing at times, but really captivating and excellent read.
Paige Connors
Intriguing perspective on violence of all types.
Brianna
everything this woman writes is amazing
Neeraj
Neeraj marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Illustrated Guide to Female Stereotypes
  • Heartbreak: The Political Memoir of a Feminist Militant
  • Insecure at Last
  • Listen Up: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation
  • Real Live Nude Girl: Chronicles of Sex-Positive Culture
  • Yes Means Yes!: Visions of Female Sexual Power and A World Without Rape
  • Working Sex: Sex Workers Write About a Changing Industry
  • Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body
  • BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • A Girl's Guide to Taking Over the World: Writings From The Girl Zine Revolution
  • Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm
  • Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction
  • Fist Stick Knife Gun: A Personal History of Violence, A True Story in Black and White
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
Cunt: A Declaration of Independence Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil: My Life and Times in a Racist, Imperialist Society Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction Pills, Thrills, Chills, and Heartache: Adventures in the First Person

“If your skin is crawling, pay attention. If something doesn’t feel right, pay attention. If the hairs on the back of your neck prickle, if your gut clenches up, if a wave of wrongness washes over you, if your heart starts beating faster, pay, pay, pay attention. Do not second-guess yourself or rationalize anything that impedes your safety. Our instincts are the animal inside of our humanness, warning us of danger.” 10 likes
“There are so many much bigger realities that bring pain and anger that I've learned to seek out small joys every day. It is one of the greatest forms of self-defense that I know.
My”