Start by marking “Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000” as Want to Read:
Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000

Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  9,827 ratings  ·  666 reviews
"Nonstop and fast-paced. Every paragraph has a big bang-up adventure." —Kevin J. Anderson

Suspense, thrills, action and adventure. Earth has been dominated for 1,000 years by an alien invader—and man is an endangered species. From the handful of surviving humans a courageous leader emerges—Jonnie Goodboy Tyler, who challenges the invincible might of the alien Psychlo empire
Published October 1st 2002 by Galaxy Press (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Battlefield Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battlefield Earth

William Beesley
As a Mormon I feel a sense of gratitude to L. Ron Hubbard for coming up with a religion with followers that most people perceive as being bigger weirdos than Mormons.

The book is good fun. An against all odds, buckskin rags to laser beam riches, story of a poor caveman named Johnny Goodboy who ends up the most powerful entity/person in the galaxy and annihilates an entire race of nasty overlord bugbears in the process. Yea it is pure crap but its pure crap with a Tom Selleck mustache
Andrew
Don't be fooled by the fact that the movie adaptation was the worst movie ever made, or that L. Ron Hubbard is responsible for the spiritual pyramid scheme that is scientology. This book is the coolest.
Ted Read
Feb 29, 2008 Ted Read rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody and their grandmother
Back in the 80s when I was just a little nerd I mowed many a lawn to afford the then-outrageous sum of $39 for the hardcover of this book. I had no idea who L. Ron Hubbard was back then, of course. I just saw a post-apocalyptic sci-fi book that seemed to be cool and I wanted it. I was a fairly well-read little kid back then even if it was only classic or now-obscure science fiction authors.

So... this was the first book I ever HATED. I think it went off to a used book store years later but if I c
Coquille Fleur
Post, post-apocalypse novel that goes a step further than most. Don't let the L. Ron Hubbard part scare you, no Scientology mentioned. The John Travolta movie sucked, so ignore that, too. The book is multi layered in meaning and probably has more truth in it than most apocalypse novels. Johnny Goodboy Tyler has been living in his village in a primitive mountain lifestyle for all of his eighteen or so years. The village is dying, with people sick, passed out on herbs, or just apathetic in their h ...more
Drew
This was a horrible book (and even worse movie). I read it in 2000, so it has been a while, but I remember just how stupid of a book it was. I struggled through every page. I can't believe I even finished it, but i wanted to read it before I saw the movie. Big mistakes.

To get an idea of what it is like, go play with a 5-8 year old boy. Pretend to shoot him with a laser. He will then pretend to put up a forcefield to block the laser. Then you have to pretend to have some weapon that will break t
Mike (the Paladin)
I know but I enjoyed this book (too bad about the movie). I found it a fun read and really there weren't a lot of "hints of things to come". It's also too bad Hubbard didn't stick to writing science fantasy...I mean while admitting that's what it is.

There are some silly touches here (I mean Johnny "Goodboy" Tyler...) but it's also readable (for such a huge tome). Earth is dominated by a star spanning alien intelligence that pretty much rules the galaxy (at least) because it possesses a "science"
Tim
Jan 08, 2008 Tim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi fans
Don't be put off by the fact that the founder of Scientology wrote this novel, and definitely don't let the horrendous movie throw you off. This book is incredible! Well, at the least the first 3/4 of the book is. The last few chapters are interesting, but not gripping, as they detail the events that occur in the aftermath of the climax.
Kecia
May 22, 2007 Kecia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Without a doubt the worst book I ever read. It was loaned to me by a co-worker and I read the whole thing. There is nothing to recommend this book. No redeeming qualities at all. Big Fat Waste of Time.
sunyatta
Dec 13, 2013 sunyatta rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 19 year olds who don't know who L. Ron Hubbard is
Recommended to sunyatta by: My stupid ex-boyfriend who is one of the worst people I've ever
Ha, Ha, Ha.
I just remembered I read a fucking L. Ron Hubbard book!
Rasheed
Nov 06, 2014 Rasheed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All SF readers. If it's too long try the abridged version.
This is one of my all time favourite SF novels, and it has nothing to do with the author's Scientology nonsense! Also, don't be fooled by the horrid film adaptation.

Read the unabridged edition it when I was 15 or 16. I used sit in the back row in Music class, and read it, but on the second day the teacher saw me. Fortunately, he didn't say or do anything except keep the book during that period. Believe it or not, I am is his landlord now!

Critical Acclaim:

"A terrific story." - Robert A. Heinlein

"
Brett
Battlefield Earth is a good science fiction novel. One of the most remarkable ideas from this book is the complete unity of the population of earth. I know that world unity and peace may be just as science fiction as aliens and advanced technologies, but I hope we can make progress in that direction. I just hope it doesn't take a severe global disaster (like aliens threatening to destroy or enslave all of us) to accomplish world unity.

L. Ron Hubbard leaves his philosophical ideas, for the most p
Bruce Deming
This is the best book I ever read in scope and smooth development of character and plot. Quite epic.

Mr Hubbard entirely escaped my attention when in my retail book selling days and I rather thought he was a fiction as a fiction writer, likely because I wasn't much of a Sci Fi reader and many of his earlier titles were not in print on trade lines. I tended towards historical novels, and the creativeness of the accompanying art of the sci fi genre was not really understood or appreciated by me yet
James
Dec 17, 2013 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: open-minded sci fi readers
Hubbard was a top adventure and science fiction writer in the 1940s. With his Dianetics research pretty wrapped up by the early 1980s, he returned to writing with Battlefield Earth. What first struck me was that the characterization was similar to the pulp fiction of the Forties without the corny dialogue. And a lot of the dialogue was very tongue in cheek. Please don't compare this book to the awful movie of which it is loosely based. The book is superior. It's written as a satire of government ...more
Withoutmercy
There seems to be an inordinately large number of detractors of this work of science fiction; that for my part seems undeserved. For me, I loved most everything about this book, the social commentary, the science fiction, the author’s conceived universe, the satire and comic relief, the pulse pounding drama and adventure and above all, the sure satisfaction of good triumphing over evil. This book has all those things.

Hubbard was a gifted writer whose conceived images flow through our minds to cr
Gumdaar
Scanning the first page of reviews I am baffled. Apparent to me is that readers (if you truly read this book) are hung up on other issues than what makes a good sci-fi read, or base opinion on a poorly done film. This book contains over 1000 pages of smooth rock em sock em edge of your pants adventure set in the not so distant future. Perhaps its the lack of vampire sex that turns off readers?

Purely speculation, but I bet Stephen Hawking after reading this novel would say to himself, yep! This w
David
Feb 22, 2008 David rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People considering suicide, who need prompting.
I Had to Bathe my Eyes in Fire:

I read this in high school as I was curious about many different ideas, philosophies, religions, and had a vague notion that it was attached to the founder of the Dianetics thing and more importantly, I loved reading just about anything. I finished the book and spent a few relaxing minutes with coals in my eye sockets to get the awful plot loopholes, the Deus Ex Machina every five pages, and the painfully awkward rhythm and flow of the story to leech out of my bra
Mark Mc*****
Before L. Ron Hubbard went bat sh@t and decided to write pseudo-religious books convince people that they are under the influence of cosmic beings abandoned on earth by an evil emperor. He was, at one point, a terrific Sci-Fi writer. Battlefield earth is a crowning achievement in epic Sci-Fi drama. A plethora of well developed characters weave a futuristic tale of mankind so long ruled by an alien species that their own history is a myth. Until one man, kept as a pet, decides to learn their lang ...more
Josh Taylor
1. First of all, I have never read any of Hubbard's Scientology books, nor do I care to, and as such, I neither know, nor care if there are any Scientology references or symbolism in this book.

2. If you had the misfortune of watching the movie starring John Travolta, ignore any misgivings you may have had - the movie was so far from the books, that if you only changed a few names, it would in no way resemble this masterpiece.

With that in mind, my review is as follows:

This is a book chronicling t
John Goodwin
I read this book many years ago and have recently listened to the soon to be released unabridged multi-cast audiobook. I found this book to still be incredibly well written with a high volume of fast-paced adventure (which I like a lot). Hubbard really creates memorable characters, sometimes with a minimum of words, such that you know that person. I also like how the evolution of the hero rapidly moves out of his personal plight and that of his girlfriend and the town he grew up in, to that of a ...more
Zeke
This book is epic. I have read and re-read this one a number of times and each time it has been a blast. The setting and premise of the story is one of my favorites. Humanity has been nearly wiped out and Earth dominated by a dominant alien race. But the fun of it all is that the Earth was conquered merely for its mineral wealth. It is, in essence, a backwater hole-in-the-wall, occupied by a handfull of alien laborers and a few middle mangers. Humanity was all but wiped out without so much as a ...more
Pavarti Tyler
I know right? 5 stars? How is that even possible? And yet here we are. This book is SOOO amazingly good. It is detailed, specific, imaginative, technical, possible and impossible all in one breath. The world Hubbard has created here is so detailed it's hard to believe it doesn't actually exist.

Also, for once, this book is long enough. Few Sci-Fi books in my opinion tell the entire story, they gloss over or cut out before getting to the completion of the event. This book does none of that, you a
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Even though I think Hubbard is a jerk and the sexism in this book is painful, there's something to be said for a book this long, written on a dare, that keeps you riveted to the page until the end. There's even clever technology in this masterwork of space opera.
Michael R.
This one had been on my list for quite a while. It appeared to be a modern classic of SF and I had heard a lot of good things about it.

While at the steel mill, I had make to trip to repair some equipment in the LAF (Ladle Arc Furnace) #2, and saw Gary the operator reading a well worn paperback of Battlefield Earth, so I asked him about it. Gary said he loved the book, and it was his 5th time reading it! As soon as he finished reading it, after 1050 pages, he went back to page #1 and started rea
Jenny
I have fond memories of my mother reading this book aloud to me, in small installments every night for months, when I was in middle school. I don't remember a lot of the details, but I was intrigued, excited to find out what happened next, and more often than not this book had my mother and I rolling on the floor laughing. There were some great moments, like poor Chirk getting her brain zapped anytime she tried to do even simple arithmetic, and the little girl begging to shoot one of the Psychlo ...more
Phillip Lozano
This pulpy mishmash of "Flash Gordon" and "Planet of the Apes" is actually fairly enjoyable light adventure for a good portion, but it eventually collapses under the ponderous weight of Hubbard's ceaseless moralizing and bloated sense of self-importance. The main character is named Jonny Goodboy Tyler, for Glob's sake - Hubbard's self-consciously on-the-nose reaction to Luke Skywalker, written with the aim of turning the thick tome into a "major motion picture," as the jacket copy proclaimed for ...more
Alan Gilfoy
I found a copy of this in a box of books left out at the curb. I've heard the usual comments about Scientology; I figured I'd read this just to see how bad it was. It was surprisingly good. It was at least a fun page turner for the most part, necessary when there are so many pages to turn. I suppose L. Ron Hubbard must've been a good science fiction writer to come up with that Xenu stuff.

The foreword and postword were self-aggrandizing, but the text of the story itself was not annoying in such a
M. Lawrence
Okay I know that everyone except for Scientologists think that this is supposed to be crap, but it's actually pretty decent, for pulp sci-fi. It's not Anna Karenina, but so what? I thought it was a pretty interesting adventure yarn (though a bit long winded). The movie, on the other hand, is another story...

Admittedly, the novel has some inconsistencies and logic problems, but when I first read it, I didn't know much of anything at all about L. Ron Hubbard or Scientology, so I was able to approa
Moses
This is another of those books that was a fun read when I was a teenager, but I just couldn't re-read it a decade later because of the horrendous writing and transparent preaching. The protagonist's name is "Johnny Goodboy Tyler" for crying out loud!

New York Times review of the movie based on the book can be summed up as:

"It may be a bit early to make such judgments, but Battlefield Earth may well turn out to be the worst movie of this century."

The book isn't quite that bad, but it's in the run
Jay
Jun 21, 2008 Jay rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.... ever.
It's times like these I really wish you could rate a book zero stars. I read this out of curiosity but the horrible writing and thinly veiled attack on psychology and modern medicine made it just painful to get through.
Bill
Dec 02, 2008 Bill rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists
Shelves: don-t-bother
I suffered through this book until the very end - just so I could say I had read it. I love good sci-fi. This is NOT good sci-fi. Unless you enjoy psychic pain, avoid this book.
L. Ron can't write a good story 36 112 Oct 11, 2014 05:24PM
Is this any good? 5 24 Sep 29, 2014 12:17PM
Battlefield Earth...: Why is Battlefield Earth so Popular? 1 10 Mar 19, 2014 04:09PM
Check out this book!!!!!!!! 21 75 Mar 16, 2012 08:32AM
  • One Lonely Night
  • Mulengro
  • Trustee from the Toolroom
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Cradle
  • Statesman (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #5)
  • Mindbridge (Collector's Edition)
  • The Cunning Man
  • Citizen of the Galaxy
  • Destiny's Road
  • Gray Lensman (Lensman, #4)
  • The Worm Ouroboros
  • Fisherman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #4)
  • Psychohistorical Crisis
  • Mission from Mount Yoda (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #4)
L. Ron Hubbard was a popular pulp writer of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, mysteries and westerns during the 1930s and later founder of Dianetics and Scientology.

Known Pseudonyms:
Frederick Engelhardt
Kurt von Rachen
Rene LaFayete/Rene La Fayette/René Lafayette
Frankie Rohne
More about L. Ron Hubbard...
The Invaders Plan (Mission Earth, #1) Black Genesis (Mission Earth, #2) The Enemy Within (Mission Earth, #3) An Alien Affair (Mission Earth, #4) Fortune of Fear (Mission Earth, #5)