We are like that only: Understanding the Logic of Consumer India

We are like that only: Understanding the Logic of Consumer India

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  28 reviews
'The Indian market is about a lot of people consuming a little bit each that adds up to a lot,...the Indian DNA is about continuity with change; it is about "THIS as well as THAT"; about cobbling together clever and low-cost solutions that are ingenious combinations and adaptations of products available in the market.'
Hardcover, First Edition, 281 pages
Published by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about We are like that only, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We are like that only

Anindya
Apr 20, 2013 Anindya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anindya by: Jaya Rupanagunta
Shelves: back-2-reality
Alex
How to break into the Indian market. Bijapurkar presents statistics, fables, and generalizations about the quintessential Indian psyche. India is apparently immune to the machinations of MNCs, because it will patently refuse to globalize like everywhere else. Unless you read this book.

I was struck by how often the author puts herself in the position of imperial agent, on the one hand directing the overlords precisely how to invest, divide, and conquer, and on the other hand teaching them about t...more
Charu Gupta
a horrible attempt to copy a beautifully written book called mother pious lady by santosh desai. though the book tries to impress with a lot of facts and figures but fails miserably to hold the attention of the readers. most of the text in the book is quotations by other authors, references to other books and extremely sad jokes and jargons which frustrate us to the core. really really disappointed with the book.
Ramakrishnan M
decent book. rama bijapurkar spins a good tale of how we indians are great at embracing seemingly conflicting values. some very intriguing case studies

overall, though, a bit repetitive. also a lot of what i read here was already known to me. for a person new to the indian market it is really invaluable reading

good, not great.
Ashish Sharma
Phew...finally I could complete it...more than a month it has been...well...I couldn't read more than 30 pages in a searing ever as I found it very boring...as in most of the book Rama kept on saying the same thing again and again...India is this as well as that...we are not uniform...many layers...this as well as that...well if u are not from India it might amuse u...that also for a while...but it was too much. I will give it to the book that at points I did find it insightful...the author kno...more
Jitender Dang
Quite an insight into Indian market supported with factual data.
Deccancoffee
Perfect book to understand the Indian market. Read this if you want to know why some trendy bikes are sold better in small towns than Big cities?.Some of statistics given in the book are very surprising and refreshing one which completely bowled out me was, The percentage of higher middle class in india is equal to Australian population,but unlike in Australia we are geographically scattered in much bigger areas, which makes the selling difficult for mnc`s in India.
Vivek
Regardless of whether you are trying to establish a business in India or not this book is a must read for anyone to understand how heterogeneous India really is even when sliced across income segments. This book puts an end to generalisations and stupid comparisons of India with the West and even China. This is not an opinion of the author but facts based in numbers and real success and failures.
Kushmakar Sharma
Rama draws on her experience as a researcher and tells you in simplest of terms what it takes to win over Indian market. And all this is backed by meticulous data analysis as well as rich anecdotal evidence. A good read for all the global and local managers and strategists who have been hard to trying find a key to unlock the potential of Indian market.
Rishabh Gupta
May 08, 2008 Rishabh Gupta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring marketer, consultant, analyst or an senior executive
If you are an aspiring marketer, consultant, analyst or an senior executive ..it is a MUST MUST READ.

A book which not only enlightens you by the gyaan but unlocks the treasure: how rama bijapurkar thinks?? And that to me is the stuff that one should read this book for..you get a naked view of her thought process..Brilliant.
Pooja
Gainful insights into the minds of Indian consumer.. why we wont fly business class to the fact that we have more color TV sets than toilets in the country.. it made an interesting in-flight read. But then this book also polarizes opinions on what it takes to do business in India.. especially consumer goods. I give it a 3 star
Punkster
A very insightful book on India as an economy. A lot of research and numbers to back up the claims. Will definitely leave you with an understanding about the fascinating multi-layered market place called "India"
Meera Sathyamurthy
Excellent book, although part of it is out dated for 2011. But, conceptually an excellent book that became my favourite. I recommend this book to people looking at growth markets and enterpreneurs.

Ankur Sharma
It took my the longest time to read it with so many things happening around, but it was all worth it. One of the finest book written on Indian business scenario which backs facts with data!
Swati Pande Pande
Unmatched as far as understanding of recent demographic and socio-economic segmentation of new age India goes ! Rama Bijapurkar, we are anxiously awaiting the next in this series !
Ankit
The book is an eye opener in many ways , but sadly there are more generalizations than specifics which makes it less of a truly insightful read.
Pradeep Thakur
Must read book to know the Indian Market Dynamics.

Rama Bijapurkar, is one of the rear breed of Indian market consultant, who thinks 360*.
Charles Vasanthkumar
An Excellent Book. I am really happy that I have read the book. Being an Indian, I was able to appreciate the reality portrayed in the book.
Sharath Raju (Barefoot)
Rama gives a learned approach to understanding the psyche of the indian consumer, and how companies should adapt to the environment and flourish.
Shrivatsa
Very good, data driven analysis of the indian market. Accessible and interesting read even for readers who are not into market research.
Shwetank Sharma
Its too much of an information. I was expecting some interesting thoughts. Therefore, left the book in between.
Pari
A very good book to gain insight into the Indian consumer mind. Great examples, great language!
Ramit
very profound insights about the consumer India..a must read for indian marketers
Jatin Arora
Fabulous insight in to the indian midset.
so true, but so overlooked.
Vijay Madham
best read if you want to understand The Indian Consumer
Abhishek
real good for people interested in market research
Angad Lamba
Decent
A few good examples no doubt
Shambhavi
Shambhavi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Rama Rocks!! 1 12 Aug 19, 2008 09:11PM
Rama Bijapurkar is one of India's most respected thought leaders on market strategy and consumer related issues in India. She is also a keen commentator on social and cultural changes in the evolving liberalizing India. She has her own market strategy consulting practice and works with an impressive list of Indian and global companies, guiding the development of their business-market strategies. S...more
More about Rama Bijapurkar...
A Never-Before World Customer in the Boardroom?: Crafting Customer-Based Business Strategy A never before world: Tracking the evolution of consumer india Winning in the Indian Market: Understanding the Transformation of Consumer India Timeless Inspirator - Reliving Gandhi