Start by marking “The Halloween Tree ” as Want to Read:
The Halloween Tree

The Halloween Tree

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,776 Ratings  ·  960 Reviews
On a Halloween night, eight boys are led on an incredible journey into the past by the mysterious spirit Moundshroud. Riding a dark autumn wind from ancient Egypt to the land of the Celtic druids, from Mexico to a cathedral in Paris, they will witness the haunting beginnings of the holiday called Halloween.
Featuring the evocative prose and imagery of Ray Bradbury, the fin
Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Published December 1st 2008 by Findaway World (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Halloween Tree, please sign up.

Raja99 Pardon me for jumping in. The dramatized version resembles a radio adaptation; there are quite a few deletions from the text (including some of my…morePardon me for jumping in. The dramatized version resembles a radio adaptation; there are quite a few deletions from the text (including some of my favorite descriptive passages), some parts where one character describes to another what both of them can see (but the audience can't), and a fair amount of music that I personally found overdramatic. But tastes differ.(less)

Gregor Xane
Oct 04, 2014 Gregor Xane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I often find Ray Bradbury's writing a bit precious. At some point in his career it seems to me that he became more concerned with being a GREAT AUTHOR than simply telling a great story. And, yes, I felt that way sometimes while listening to The Halloween Tree.

BUT...

And that's a rather large 'BUT.'

But, with The Halloween Tree he did manage to pull off the gorgeous poetic prose, the grand imagery, while telling a wonderful story. I don't use the word 'wonderful' often in a serious manner, but he
Maciek
This book and I have a history, and one which I wasn't even aware of until I have actually read it. Years and years ago, I saw an opening snippet of a Halloween movie on Cartoon Network - it was October and they had Halloween-themed cartoons running all day long, from the Addams Family to special episodes of Scooby Doo...but this one caught my attention: it was a full length animation, and the opening scene featured a bird's eye view on a small town, where dusk had just began to fall, and the sk ...more
Candi
This was a fun and quirky read for Halloween. Ray Bradbury has a great way of painting a myriad of images in his writing. I adored the illustrations by Joseph Mugnaini! When I started this book, I was hooked immediately and thought this was going to be my 5 star Halloween book for the year. "The wind outside nested in each tree, prowled the sidewalks in invisible treads like unseen cats. Tom Skelton shivered. Anyone could see that the wind was a special wind this night, and the darkness took on ...more
James
Nov 03, 2007 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this limited edition version of bradbury's halloween tree that was printed in 2004 is absolutely the version worth reading, entirely for the inclusion of his first submitted typescript.

see, knopf was interested in a straight-up juvenile book. bradbury wanted to write "a book for children of all ages." so, when the first knopf edition was published in 1972, there were a ton of cuts, largely to bradbury's wonderful descriptive passages.

also included are a ton of supplemental materials, including
Charlene
Oct 16, 2014 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this story so as to participate in the Literary Horror Group's October read. I have long been planning to read more of Ray Bradbury's work, so I jumped on this opportunity. (Mostly thanks to Edward Lorn through whose contest I won the audiobook version. Thanks again, Ed!)

I enjoyed this fanciful tale even though it wasn't a bit scary. In fact, I would categorize this as more of a dark fantasy, though labels are just labels, in the end. As was true of the 2 other Bradbury stories I'v
Alex Telander
THE HALLOWEEN TREE BY RAY BRADBURY: I read this book every October because it’s the perfect Halloween book. It’s taken me a couple of readings, but I now finally realize that The Halloween Tree is the equivalent for Halloween what A Christmas Carol is for Christmas: an enchanting journey into the history of Halloween where one leans much and is changed by it.

A group of eight boys are on their way out to trick or treat on Halloween, all in different costumes – skeleton, mummy, gargoyle, etc. – an
Lyn
Oct 31, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury is a short novel by the grandmaster that uses as a premise a group of trick or treating boys traveling through time chasing a mysteriously missing friends to create a vehicle for examining the roots and sources of Halloween.

Probably written for a juvenile or young adult audience, Bradbury demonstrates his range and imagination to craft a story that is as entertaining as any of his more recognized works.

The character Moundshroud, most likely as a personificati
Ctgt
Jun 23, 2015 Ctgt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
 Remember back to your days as a kid...

those days of unfettered imagination

when nothing seemed impossible?

This book took me back there for just a moment.

Bradbury spins a modern day(relatively speaking) fairy tale with a focal point of eight friends who gather for Halloween. While an undercurrent of adolescent loss tugs at the edge of your awareness, the author takes us on a trip through the death legends of a variety of world cultures.

The eight friends, after meeting with their missing nint
Jon
Nov 26, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In one of his earlier novels, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Bradbury warned to “Beware the autumn people”. Despite issuing this caution, I’m convinced that Bradbury saw himself as an ‘autumn person’, given his fascination with the season and all that it symbolises: the lush growth of summer dying away; the Earth’s final death-rattle before the long, cold, still of winter; the ever-encroaching darkness.

I, too, am one of the autumn people. I’m not about to bore you with the details here, but th
Panagiotis
Oct 23, 2015 Panagiotis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μέσα από αυτήν την όμορφη ιστορία ο Bradbury μιλάει για την ιστορία του Χάλογουιν. Και τι όμορφα που την λέει!

Για να πώ την αμαρτία μου, δεν είχα διαβάσει κανένα βιβλίο του μέχρι τώρα. Αν και δεν είναι αντιπροσωπευτικό της επιστημονικής φαντασίας με την οποία έγινε γνωστός, φανερώνει έναν καταπληκτικό αφηγητή. Η ιστορία των 8 νεαρών αγοριών, που το βράδυ του Χάλογουιν, ταξιδεύον στον χώρο και στο χρόνο, με ξεναγό τους μια γκροτέσκα, σκιαχτική φιγούρα, είναι εξαιρετικά δοσμένη,. Η φωνή του Bradb
Amber
Oct 01, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
It is Halloween Night. Tom Skelton and friends are about to go trick or treating together, but someone is missing. Where's their friend Pipkin? Searching for answers, they head to the house of the mysterious and sly Carapace Clavicle Moundshroud who takes them on magical tour of Halloweens past to find Pipkin and learn about Halloween itself. Will they succeed on their journey? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read. I have only seen the animated film version of this book
Edward Lorn
Oct 28, 2013 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Halloween Tree, by Ray Bradbury, is to Halloween what Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol is to Christmas. If the novella is not required reading, it should be. This short book proves that Halloween is so much more than a holiday created by candy bar companies, and is most certainly not a satanic celebration. From the tombs of Egypt to the underworld of Mexico during Dia de Los Muertos, Bradbury whisks us away on an autumnal wind. The journey is poignant and purposeful. What exactly would yo ...more
Edward Lorn
Oct 31, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
"It was like sweet and and sour sauce in book form. Not too sweet and not too sour."

That's a direct quote from my nine-year-old daughter.

I've read this book every year since I was seven years old. It was, as far as I can remember, my first experience with "horror" in literature, even if it's not a scary book. It's one of the main reasons I love Halloween as much as I do: the tradition, a holiday even older than Christmas, a celebration of those we've lost. It also captures the reckless, carefre
Vishakha Motwani
Feb 06, 2016 Vishakha Motwani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was my first Halloween + Ray Bradbury book and sure not the last one!

Such an entertaining and interesting read, I'm looking forward to reading more of his works.

This one is a little spooky and for kids (as well as me) quite an interesting story about what Halloween is.

It's fun horror and fun spooky.

Overall, I loved Ray Bradbury's writing and little poems in between, the narration added music to the story. What a lovely read!
Quentin Wallace
I liked this one. In this story Bradbury basically gives an abbreviated history of Halloween and also shows how different countries and cultures celebrate the holiday, all wrapped up in an interesting story. It also made me think back to what Halloween was like as a child, and the nostalgia was nice. Some of the writing gets a bit complicated, almost reading like stream-of-consciousness, but overall it was good. I'd recommend this for readers of all ages who love Halloween.
SUSAN
Oct 26, 2015 SUSAN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a consummate Halloween story. I have a copy of the book,published by Yearling,the graphics are wonderful.
If you have never read Bradbury you are missing out on a wonderful writer.

Adam Light
Oct 08, 2015 Adam Light rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bradbury, own-it, e-book
First time reading this. Absolutely beautiful! A must read!
Luisa
Aug 20, 2007 Luisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, Harry Potter fans
Shelves: scififantasy
I read this book on a rainy school day in Saint Genevieve's H.S. library. I devoured this book!!! A bunch of boys get together and have to make a deal with Mr. Dark to save their friend's life as he lies dying....sacrifice the last year of their lives. So wonderfully expressed, as only Papa Ray can, and so imaginative in all the settings the boys travel to on Halloween night, including a tomb in Egypt. Great stuff!!
Mariana
Mar 26, 2015 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, terror
Si tuviera que elegir una lectura clásica para el día de brujas, una que leyera cada año alrededor de una fogata, definitivamente sería este libro.

La pluma de Ray Bradbury nos ofrece una narración macabra pero ingeniosa, enrtretenida y a la vez ilustrativa.

Para quienes no lo sepan, The Halloween Tree, es la historia de un grupo de niños que durante la noche del 31 de octubre emprenden un viaje a través del tiempo y del espacio, mientras observan y participan en diversas tradiciones que tienen
Darth J
Sep 30, 2013 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazing-artwork
What can I say about a book that has been described as the Halloween version of A Christmas Carol? I can say that it doesn't quite live up to that description. In fact, please ignore people calling it that because it only raises your expectations. *Sigh*

The best part of the story is obviously the artwork. Seriously, if you have eyes you will enjoy this aspect of the book.

The meat of the story is showing the children what Halloween meant to different cultures and how it evolved into the American
Rayna
Oct 15, 2012 Rayna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marie Robinson for TeensReadToo.com

Opening this book is like opening a present. Originally published in 1972, publisher Alfred A. Knopf has printed a new hardcover edition. The dust-jacket is beautifully illustrated, the book is of an unusual size. Everything about it says "special."

Inside, I was not disappointed. Bradbury swept me away with his opening scene:

"It was a small town by a small river and a small lake in a small northern part of a Midwest state. There wasn't so much wil
⊱ Irena ⊰
The Halloween Tree is perfect to be listened. I kept imagining a voice telling this story. It is probably wonderful. Still, it didn't touch me as it probably would if I were a thirteen year old boy.

This is a lovely horror story for younger audience; a story of friendship and one Halloween night. A group of thirteen year old boys end up learning more about the holiday than they had expected while trying to catch up with their elusive friend Pipkin.

The atmosphere of the story is perfect for this t
George
May 08, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Μετά τα καταπληκτικά "Φαρενάιτ 451" και "Χρονικά του Άρη", αυτό είναι το τρίτο βιβλίο του Ρέι Μπράντμπερι που διαβάζω. Υφολογικά είναι εντελώς διαφορετικό από τα προηγούμενα, μιας και πρόκειται ουσιαστικά για ένα παραμύθι φαντασίας για μικρούς και μεγάλους, που έχει να κάνει με την γιορτή του Χάλογουιν.

Οχτώ παιδιά βγαίνουν ντυμένα με τις στολές τους στους δρόμους της μικρής τους πόλης, για σκανδαλιά ή κέρασμα, και πέφτουν πάνω στον μυστηριώδη κύριο Μάουντσραουντ, ο οποίος με κάποιον τρόπο τα ταξ
Erika
I listened to the audio version narrated by Bronson Pinchot and it was stellar.

I'm going to have to put this into play every year I think, and soon I can share it with my nieces. I do love Ray Bradbury.

Also I can't stop thinking about the question posed in the book - could you give a year of your life to save someone else's at the time - and it's driving me crazy.
Peter
Nov 01, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eight boys are dressed for Halloween night to go trick or treating. The boys are on their way to pick up their best friend Pipkin. When Pipkin comes out of his house, he looks ill. He tells his friends that he will meet up them at the large mansion on the edge of town. Once the boys reach the mansion, they noticed this great oak tree, that had to well over a hundred years old. The oak tree had hundreds of branches and from each hung a carved pumpkin. The boys were amazed to see each pumpkin ligh ...more
Julie Davis
Oct 30, 2013 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a small town by a small river and a small lake in a small northern part of a Midwest state. There wasn't so much wilderness around you couldn't see the town. But on the other hand there wasn't so much town you couldn't see and feel and touch and smell the wilderness. The town was full of trees. And dry grass and dead flowers now that autumn was here. And full of fences to walk on and sidewalks to skate on and a large ravine to tumble in and yell across. And the town was full of...

Boys.
And
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
This might have been the first book I ever read where I felt a deep personal connection - a feeling that someone else somewhere had been dealt the same problems I had. A sense of camaraderie, all from the fictional characters in a book.

The theme of kids dealing with, battling with, the impending death of a friend, a fellow child, was a very personal one for me.

I remember my dad giving me the book, wanting me to read it. He said he thought I would like it. I think he knew I needed it. There are m
Bill
Nov 08, 2015 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The dramatized version with full production cast, music and sound effects for this one was complete crap. I hated it. I only made it about 20 minutes into it before I had to shut it off, it was so horribly annoying.

The second audio version I tried was narrated by Bronson Pinchot and was fantastic. That's right, Balki nailed it. Of course this one is all about the story, nonetheless the difference in the quality of the narration was everything.

I can see why this one is considered an October clas
Amber
Oct 05, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the illustrations in this were amazing. i enjoyed the story. it was a nice little halloween read and i'm glad i read something else by Ray Bradbury this year.
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • Death Makes a Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween
  • Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween
  • Halloween: From Pagan Ritual to Party Night
  • Halloween
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
  • Boris and Bella
  • Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich
  • Only a Witch Can Fly
  • Dark Harvest
  • The Dandelion's Tale
  • Black and Orange (Black & Orange, #1)
  • Folklore and Symbolism of Flowers, Plants and Trees
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 3: Hot Zone
  • Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
  • Home Sweet Horror
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...

“The wind outside nested in each tree, prowled the sidewalks in invisible treads like unseen cats.
Tom Skelton shivered. Anyone could see that the wind was a special wind this night, and the darkness took on a special feel because it was All Hallows' Eve. Everything seemed cut from soft black velvet or gold or orange velvet. Smoke panted up out of a thousand chimneys like the plumes of funeral parades. From kitchen windows drifted two pumpkin smells: gourds being cut, pies being baked.”
73 likes
“Suddenly the day was gone,
night came out from under each tree and spread.”
49 likes