Start by marking “Crabbe” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  29 reviews

One night, just before final exams, 18-year-old Franklin Crabbe - smart, rich, yet unhappy and semi-alcoholic - packs his gear and drives away into the woods to disappear completely. Totally unprepared for bush life, Crabbe nearly perishes until he meets someone else who has her reasons to hide.

Paperback, 20th Anniversary Edition, 192 pages
Published June 30th 2006 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Crabbe, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

This is the story of a disillusioned rich teen boy whose parents barely even know he exists except as someone they can order around. He decides to skip his final exams in high school and disappear into the wilds on an extended camping trip. He gets more than he bargains for and learns things that will change his life forever.
Nov 11, 2008 Lorraine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 13-17 yr old boys
Shelves: youth
A good YA book. Gr9, maybe 3 or 4C level. If you like the Maestro, this book is for you.
Jay Szpirs
A great ya novel with a relatable protagonist and breathtaking descriptions.

The theme of self-discovery is well explored and the atmosphere and mood is effectively established and modulated; However, the supporting cast is paper-thin which leaves the story feeling a bit one dimensional.

The lack of a central antagonist is alternatively realistic and frustrating; the conflict is externalized only in nature rather than in another character. This may be explained away a feature of the first
Apr 16, 2012 Ania rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery
Shelves: canada
I found this book recently on my bookshelf. I'm not sure how it ended up with me but here it was. So in an effort to read more Canadian stuff I decided to give it a try.

This book essentially is a book about finding personal freedom through convening with nature. I wasn't too crazy about it and ended up skipping a lot near the end. I donno, I guess the book kinda reminded me of a cross between The Blue Castle and Tom Hanks in the movie "Castaway", neither of which I really enjoyed much. You don't
Helen Vilaranda
My son had to read this for Grade 11 English. I thought it was very good.It's a story of Franklin Crabbe(but don't call him Franklin). He decides to run away because at home and at school no one asks him what he wants they just tell him what to do. While he is away he learns alot about himself. My son did not like the ending but I thought it was perfect.
I had to read this book for grade eight English. At first, it came off as a boring book but as I got more into it and took the time to figure things out, I began to really enjoy it. Many people in my school did not like it but I did. Haha.
My English teacher had us finding out what Ithaca camp was and the meaning behind Crabbe's name, which really helped with tying up the loose ends of my understanding of the book. This book -- in my opinion -- is about seeking the freedom for which we all yearn.
I read this book for school. I actually enjoyed it. Teaches you a loy about adult hood.
Laura Bojarzin
Apr 30, 2013 Laura Bojarzin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody looking to experience a quick adventure
Recommended to Laura by: My English teacher
When my teacher first gave me this book to read for English, I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled; but when I looked past how old my teacher's copy was and the kind of boring cover I fell in love. I identified with Crabbe, I honestly felt what he felt and I understood why we were feeling it. The author did a beautiful job of telling the story of someone suffering from First World Problem Syndrome. This story caught my attention from the first chapter and kept it for the entire book. I definite ...more
This book was really good i cannot say enough about it!!!!!
Along the same line as Hatchet, not as good as Touching Spirit Bear. Would be a good read for grades 7-9.
Ryan Rawlinson
I have to say ive read this book only once and it captivated me through every bit of it. The relatable protagonist crabbe the harshness of the bush and everything he went through kinda reminded me of and id sat this inspired some parts of my own story im writing. So all and all this book I recommend its funny, tragic, amazing, captivating etc,
Brody Leroux
This is probaly the best school book I had to read. The description really got to me because it sounded good. This is a great book any teen should like it, and even adults. This is a really good read highly reccomend!
I enjoyed reading this in High School. Having re-read it now as an adult & seeing how much I both have, and have had in common with Franklin Crabbe, I now LOVE this book.
Good teen lit. Smartly deals with some teen related issues (identity, self-determination, independance, ageism, etc.). Think Catcher in the Rye, light.
Heather Lye
Read for an assignment I needed to mark. Can see its value for a struggling teen, but there is nothing special about the writing.
I read this book as an assignment for school. It was a decent story, although I won't be picking it up any time soon.
It's been a few years since I've read this but I enjoyed it, a good read!
This story has always been a favorite of mine. Inspiring and brutally honest.
Ayda Ashraf
Interesting tale of adventure, adolescence, and growing up into a man.
i have to read this book AGAIN!!! damn summer skool
It was a surprisingly good book actually.
May 08, 2013 Kenken marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
awesome book
May 27, 2013 Qaali rated it 5 of 5 stars
Kaitlyn Vaillancourt
Kaitlyn Vaillancourt marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • Trapped in Ice
  • Hell
  • Jeanne, fille du Roy/The King's Daughter
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 5
  • Truth and Lies (Mike & Riel, #2)
  • Crossroad Vol. 1
  • The Zodiac Killer: Terror and Mystery
  • Phoenix Without Ashes
  • The Space Between
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • Chat Room
  • Terry Fox: His Story (Revised)
  • Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • Hancock Park: A Novel
  • The Glory Wind
  • Genesis Force
  • Pigboy
William Bell is an award-winning author of more than a dozen books for young adults.

Born in Toronto, Ontario in 1945, he has been a high school English teacher and department head, and an instructor at the Harbin University of Science and Technology, the Foreign Affairs College in Beijing, and the University of British Columbia.
More about William Bell...