Start by marking “The Things We Do to Make It Home” as Want to Read:
The Things We Do to Make It Home

The Things We Do to Make It Home

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An emotionally charged story of passionate love, unfulfilled desire, and an American dream gone totally awry, Beverly Gologorsky's poignant, unadorned novel lays bare the destructive impact of the Vietnam War on the wives, lovers, and children of veterans. This haunting story of devotion and loss will speak to anyone who has suffered the effects of an unwinnable war.
Published September 1st 2009 by Seven Stories Press (first published January 19th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Things We Do to Make It Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things We Do to Make It Home

Annemariem
1973: Five Vietnam vets return home with the war forever locked in their heads and hearts.
1993 and after: Their story is told through the women in their lives, or the women no longer in their lives.

From the blurb: "In this poignant and unforgettable novel, the fierce repercussions of the Vietnam War are captured from an altogether original and touching angle. This story belongs to the women: the lovers, wives and daughters who saw their men returned safely to them - but as unfamiliar, haunted
Craig Werner
There are parts of this novel I like a lot and parts that really irritate me. At times, Gologorsky is spot on with her pictures of the way that Vietnam vets bond and simultaneously distance from the world around them; at times, it's pure stereotype, and it irritates the hell out of me that she doesn't include any vets who really manage to make it back to the world in one piece. I come to this as an insider-outsider, which I imagine is pretty much Gologorsky's position, so there are parts of the ...more
Robin
I was excited to read this book because of the subject matter, but it didn't pan out how I wanted it to. Too many characters to keep up with, and no chance to become emotionally invested in any of them; not very well-written. Disappointing.
Christopher Tirri
The character development was atrocious, in that it barely existed. It was hard to keep everyone straight in terms of who was related to whom. The individual stories are plodding and uninspiring.
Carol
A wrenching novel on the wages of war and the damage done by wrecked men to the women and children who want to love them.
Rachel
Great book, very well written. Another sad war book...
Leslie
Leslie is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2015
Katie Porras
Katie Porras marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Anniek Van der helm
Anniek Van der helm marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
georgie
georgie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 30, 2014
Sara M
Sara M marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Laura Dymkowski
Laura Dymkowski is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Tatyana Kagamas
Tatyana Kagamas marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Kim Singdahlsen
Kim Singdahlsen marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Gabriela Gandara
Gabriela Gandara marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2012