Grants Pass

Grants Pass

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The apocalypse has arrived.

Humanity was decimated by bio-terrorism; three engineered plagues were let loose on the world. Barely anyone has survived.

Just a year before the collapse, Grants Pass, Oregon, USA, was publicly labeled as a place of sanctuary in a whimsical online, “what if” post. Now, it has become one of the last known refuges, and the hope, of mankind.

Would yo...more
Published August 22nd 2009 by Morrigan Books (first published August 21st 2009)

Brainycat

keywords: horror, post-apocalyptic, bioterrorism, plague, anthology
brainycat's "5 Best B"s (on a scale of one to five):
boobs: 1 / blood 3 / bombs 2 / bondage 1 / blasphemy 3

Grant's Pass is an excellent concept anthology that I enjoyed reading. The authors of each of the twenty pieces were provided with the following scenario: Bioterrorists unleash plagues across the globe that leave a survival rate of 0.001 percent. While the plagues were buring through the population, a blog post written by a y

Stacey
I had to finish this today so I could read something else and hopefully push this out of my brain. That should not be taken as a negative review. The stories in this anthology gave me nightmares, precisely because they were so incredibly believable. They're stories of people alone, together, making decisions for themselves, imposing them on others, greed, generosity, deception and innocence.

Two of them (Hell's Bells, and Animal Husbandry,) were so chilling I found myself holding my breath.

The...more
Steven
A very well done anthology of stories about a modern apocalypse and the fabled safe haven of Grants Pass, Oregon. The world falls apart due to bioengineered plagues and the chaos that ensues from them. The stories here, like many anthologies, vary in terms of their ability to grab each reader, but they're all well written even if they're not one's cup of tea. Stories that stood out in my mind as the best or most intriguing were "Animal Husbandry" by Seanan McGuire; "Chateau de Mons" by Jennifer...more
♥Meagan♥
This was a fabulous anthology. There were only a few stories that I did not like, and that was more because of the writing style than the content. I thought the idea of an anthology with a similar plotline was great.

I'm super happy I read this!

I would definitely recommend it for fans of the post-apocalyptic/dystopian genre, especially if you like short stories!
Mary Ford
Grants Pass was very interesting and not at all what I expected. I knew it was a post apocalyptic book and I love these kinds of books. I knew that the anthology was all based around the idea of heading to Grants Pass if the end of the world happened. I was hoping for a few more stories that actually ended up (or even took place) in Grants Pass and though I didn't get that I wasn't at all disappointed with the book. Some of the stories were a little odd and a little slow so I couldn't rate the b...more
Dan C.
I read this book right after I read A Land of Ash. Grants Pass was mentioned in several of the Goodreads reviews of A Land of Ash so I picked it up from the B&N Nook store for $4.95. Grants Pass is the place in Oregon that everyone is trying to get to after a combination of Ebola, superflu and bubonic plague wipe out 99.99% of the human population. To add insult to injury, "the big one" finally hits southern California - as if global epidemics weren't bad enough. In stark contrast to A Land...more
Reenie
It's pretty much a cliche to say that an anthology is a mixed bag - it's sort of the point, right? There's always going to be stories you really really like (hopefully), and ones that you could really do without.

Grant's Pass, an anthology of stories about people who survived a plague-ridden end of the world and now have to decide whether to answer a call to join other survivors in Grants Pass, Oregon, is of course no exception. There are great stories, good stories, decent stories, and not-so o...more
Cjlang
Mar 06, 2014 Cjlang rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Meh - I love apocalyptic fiction and this book was based on an excellent premise. Some of the writers were quite good but many were .... juvenile. The writing, thankfully, wasn't awful but it was the sort of thing you might read in an honors English class.
Martin Livings
Mar 30, 2011 Martin Livings rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Grants Pass really is an extraordinary collection; every single one of the contributors avoided the possible expected apocalyptic cliches like the plague(s) and gave me something I wasn't expecting, which was a surprise and a delight. My faves in the collection were probably "Animal Husbandry" by Seanan McGuire and "Black Heart, White Mourning" by Jay Lake, but having said that, it was genuinely hard to pick highlights from amongst these stories, they were all of the highest quality (not countin...more
Todd
My Rating: 2-1/2 stars.
I found the concept of this book very intriguing - 20 stories, by 20 different authors, all starting with the same background story: A blog post suggests that if the world ends, survivors meet at Grants Pass. The world as we know it comes to a sudden and tragic end and the blog post becomes urban legend.
Each author gave their story an interesting twist; however, unfortunately too many of the writers were unable to impress me enough to recommend this book.
Shannon
It was pretty good. The concept was great. But some of the stories weren't. The book had a feeling of hopelessness about. Most of the people going to Grants Pass were awful, planning to kill or steal from the people. I realize that the end of the world wouldn't leave only good people to colonize a utopian society but I have to believe that there's more good than evil in the world. Because if there's not maybe we deserve to be wiped out.
Angela
Mar 22, 2010 Angela rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angela by: Brad Collison
Shelves: fiction
It was an interesting collection of tales and how people from different walks of life, ages, even cultures would cope/deal with an end of the world scenario. While some stories I devoured, others took a bit to push through. Food for thought, though...and giving some of the people who thought to head out west here to G.P. - I'm thinking I'd rather not be here to greet them. ;)
Kevin L.
An amazing and diverse collection of post-apocalyptic short stories. If you like the genre, it is a must read. I did have to read the stories intermingled with other readings due to the content as well as I wanted to make certain I fully ingested each story. Do not miss!
Elspeth
This anthology is a must read for any apocalypse enthusiast. The many and varied stories all based around the same central theme are wonderfully vivid and thought provoking. What would you do if the world ended and you survived?
Crystal
An awesome collection of short stories based on a girl's blog post to meet at Grants Pass, OR in the event of the end of the world. Some of the stories hopeful, some of them sad, all of them poignant. Well worth the read.
Jonathan Bolte
Ok this is a reread
An end of the world anthology...I liked the Idea and bought it.

Now I am not very big into short stories, I love long term Character development too much so saying it was great is big praise from me
Pete731
Dec 10, 2012 Pete731 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Post-apocalypse fans
Good anthology, very enjoyable read. I liked the old school apocalyptic nature of it, no zombies for example.
Cissa
A very good anthology- lots of variety within a loosely-defined format.
Liam Cole
A great little book of shorts written around an apocalyptic theme
Jessica
Forced and overly dramatic tone, couldn't finish it.
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jade Zupancic
Jade Zupancic marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Kelsae H
Kelsae H marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
919348
Jennifer Brozek is an award winning editor, game designer, and author.

Winner of the Australian Shadows Award for best edited publication, Jennifer has edited ten anthologies with more on the way. Author of In a Gilded Light, The Lady of Seeking in the City of Waiting, Industry Talk, and the Karen Wilson Chronicles, she has more than fifty published short stories, and is the Creative Director of A...more
More about Jennifer Brozek...
Close Encounters of the Urban Kind Dangers Untold Beast Within 2: Predator & Prey Space Tramps: Full-Throttle Space Tales #5 The Lady of Seeking in the City of Waiting