Start by marking “Immortalis” as Want to Read:
Immortalis

Immortalis

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  8,640 Ratings  ·  352 Reviews
Der letzte Feind, der vernichtet wird, ist der Tod (1. Korinther 15,26) Neapel, 1749. Der Marquis de Montferrat ist auf der Flucht: Seine Verfolger wollen das Buch in ihren Besitz bringen, dessen Einband eine Schlange ziert. Es stiftet Tod und Verderben, und doch birgt es das Geheimnis des Lebens. Als der Marquis entkommt, bleibt sein Schatz für Jahrhunderte verschollen. 2 ...more
Published 2009 by Rowohlt Taschenbuch Verlag (first published August 21st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Immortalis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortalis

John
Mar 23, 2008 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People that hate the Da Vinci Code genre - so that they can slag this book off too
Shelves: modern-fiction
Well, well, well... where to start.... should I even bother?... most of it has been said before.

The plot - not the most original... but at least it was not quasi-religous....it was all reasonably straightforward with little in the way of twists and turns.

The characters - all pretty boring... only one surprise revelation, but I guess we all worked out who Kirkwood was 200 pages before the great reveal anyway... all of the others were dull... Evelyn [too intellectual to think straight], Mia [daugh
Franco  Santos
No logré conectarme con esta historia. En el final mejora mucho, y tiene cambios de tiempo, algo que me encanta; sin embargo, es muy repetitivo, hay abuso del relleno, es bastante predecible y los personajes no me causaron nada, a excepción de solo uno. No lo recomiendo. Una lectura que se olvida con facilidad.
Mark
Aug 16, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. I love when an ancient mystery is combined with events in the present and this book does just that. It had a twist that I wasn't expecting and the action was evenly paced enough to keep me pulled in. This was worth the time to pick it up and I would recommend it to those who like this sort of genre.
Linda
Humans have long dreamed of immortality, in some cases devoting their lives to the quest. Raymond Khoury makes that dream the focus of his latest historical thriller, The Sanctuary. Built around two interwoven stories, one from the 18th century and one present day, most of the action takes place in Lebanon. When an unknown pack of thugs abducts archaeologist Evelyn Bishop, her daughter Mia, a geneticist, mounts a desperate search to retrieve her. Unbeknownst to Mia, there are others on the trail ...more
Randy Daugherty
Oct 25, 2012 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts out in Naples 1750.A group led by the prince of San Servero bust in on the marquis demanding he turn over the secret he hides.The Marquis escapes and makes his journey assuming other names and titles along the way.
Fast forward to bagdad 2003, and the terrible find the soldiers make. A secret underground lab, complete with surgical room and horrible deaths of prisoners, including mass graves.
On one wall is the symbol of a snake eating it's tail. What does this mean, where did it
Richard Gazala
Mar 13, 2010 Richard Gazala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Khoury's first novel, "The Last Templar." Khoury's considerable screenwriting talents drove the plot, making the story play like a movie inside my head as I read it. As he has mentioned in numerous interviews, Khoury originally created "The Last Templar" as a screenplay, and the book was accordingly cinematic from beginning to end.

Good as "Templar" is, Khoury's second novel, "The Sanctuary," is far richer. In "Sanctuary" we find Khoury maturing as a true novelist, rather than a screenw
NightAuditMan
Sep 21, 2008 NightAuditMan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to move at a pretty good pace. The chapters were short and they usually left you wanting to read another chapter. Of those that were long Mr. Khoury left good natural sperations shifting POV's among the main charaters.

A lot of people tend to forget the Mr Khoury spent a good number of years as a sucessful screenwriter before turning to novels. This novel shows that past profession well. A lot of the scenes in the novel lend easy to the imagination or allowing the mind to easil
Don
Jan 19, 2010 Don rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-fiction
Easy book to read; what I call cheap fiction, not in an intentionally derogatory way, but just the book is typically meant only to entertain, not to necessarily invoke deep thought. But those are good books from time to time to read and enjoy, and I enjoyed this one. Its in the myth based historical fiction genre that I really enjoy. This is the second book I've read by Raymound Khoury, the other being "The Last Templar." Both interesting books, mixes history, myth, and storytelling well for a c ...more
Kay
Jul 26, 2010 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, reviewed
This book has it all: ancient, mysterious clues mingle with the latest scientific advances in this cinematic thriller. The pace is fast, the dialogue sharp, the characters plausible. Khoury knows what he is doing.
A cross between Indiana Jones and Dan Brown, an electrifying thriller of ancient secrets, of the quest for an extended life and of horrific scientific experiments. It mixes history with the present in a gripping tale of adventure and suspense. Well worth buckling your seat belt for and
Jaret
Feb 19, 2015 Jaret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent action-packed thriller. I liked the back and forth narration between history and modern day. Usually it distracts me, but this time, I felt like it filled in holes for the modern-day story. The story didn't really slow down much, the action was constant. It was really hard to keep track of who was the "good guy" and who was the "bad guy". No one could seem to decide who they wanted to be. I like twists and turns in my stories, but you kind of needed a score card for this one. I ...more
Kumar Shiva
May 04, 2013 Kumar Shiva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its kind of an underrated one. Its pacy all the way around. This thriller felt like a movie running in your mind. Its not surprising as the author is a professional scriptwriter. Raymond Khoury has researched well on the subject of elixirs, ouroboros, assasinations and genocide. One shall not regret reading this book if you are for a super high tempo page turner. Dont avoid the book reading the depreciating reviews all around. Worthy time passer
Mike Grady
Mar 13, 2013 Mike Grady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-year
This is my first experience with one of Raymond Khoury's works and I found it both a enjoyable and an intriguing quick read. I liked his slow character development - watching some of the main characters motivations unfold over time was a nice twist. The historical aspects combined with an unconventional setting added to the mysterious nature of the story.

I plan on reading more of his works and recommend it to those who are fond of mysteries, conspiracies and historical novels

Deborah Hamilton
This author absolutely amazes me with the quality of work he has produced. I believe he has another Best Seller on his hands, with his second novel. This story is about the quest for eternal life....The reader will not be disappointed with this page turner! A great read that I really don;t want to give up too much about the story. I am convinced that once one reads the first chapter they will be sucked into the novel like a being trapped in whirlpool!
Mia
Aug 22, 2008 Mia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book based on his previous book. It was a little bit slow at the beginning but once it took off, it was very fast paced. This book continues on with Templar theme of his previous book. The plot is believable and deals with the current spot of the Middle East. I would pick this to read again as a summer read.
Carri
Mar 14, 2010 Carri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great mix of history, science, and possibility. A page-turner to the end, the characters are well defined and strong. Raymond Khoury has an interesting way of capturing the reader without them knowing it. The plot, settings, characters and story line are heart capturing and easy to follow.
Catherine Miller
This is a wonderful author I recently discovered. Full of meaning, examining history and spinning a compelling story. I would highly recommend anything by Raymond Khoury, and it would be beneficial to start at the beginning!
Gauchoholandes
Somewhere between Dan Brown and I am Pilgrim... Interesting to think about the implications of longevity or immortality for some or all of humanity for increasingly aging is seen as a disease to be cured, fixing the wear and tear on the human body.
Leslie
Feb 09, 2008 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed. I'd loved another book by this author.
This one was heavy on the chases and light on the information and intellectual puzzles and reason why the information was SO important that people had to die for it.
I also think the body count was a bit high - too gory and gruesome.
Barbara
Oct 17, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love!
Chris
Aug 26, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To those who love the Templars mysteries.
Recommended to Chris by: found it!
Khoury writes a great novel with twist and turns, blends historical and modern day wonderfully.

You will like the fast paced action in this novel.
George Hancock
Mar 07, 2014 George Hancock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good story. Not many readers are familiar with the novels of Raymond Khoury. I enjoyed this novel.
Larry
Oct 23, 2008 Larry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stopped about a third of the way through...in the words of several Monty Python alums, "Get on with it!"
Marjana
Jul 16, 2012 Marjana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how the writer uses real facts and history to create amazing story.
Karissa
Fast-paced and good twists!! :) Just a little bit too modernist for my taste. And i have some questions left unanswered.
Judy Benvin
Jul 22, 2011 Judy Benvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book!!!!!
Maighdlyn
May 20, 2013 Maighdlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, loved the story, but ending was a little so-so in my opinion...
Thor Weberson
Jun 25, 2015 Thor Weberson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast moving, good action.... Good like a like Can Brown's DaVinci Code.
Shelby Maritt
Mar 10, 2015 Shelby Maritt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a book by Mr. Khoury that wasn't just great!!!! Very suspenseful.
Robert
Jan 26, 2009 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read. Exciting and interesting. It was a relief not to have the usual annoying romance spring up between the male and female protagonists.
alex
I liked the ideas in this, but it just wasn't exciting enough - the puzzle was fascinating, but not fascinatingly written.
  • The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)
  • The Lost Temple
  • Sign of the Cross (Payne & Jones, #2)
  • The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)
  • The Sacred Bones
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • The Nostradamus Prophecies (Antichrist Trilogy #1)
  • The Double Eagle (Tom Kirk, #1)
Raymond Khoury is the author of five consecutive New York Times and #1 international bestsellers, starting with his debut novel, THE LAST TEMPLAR. His books have been translated into 38 languages, with over 10 million copies in print.

Raymond came to writing thrillers from a career in screenwriting, which including the BAFTA award winning BBC series SPOOKS (aka MI:5 in the US) and Waking The Dead.
More about Raymond Khoury...

“Greed and selfishness do seem to be central motivators of mankind.” 11 likes