Start by marking “What A Truly Cool World” as Want to Read:
What A Truly Cool World

What A Truly Cool World

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Bursting with folk-art style paintings, this witty and inspirational creationstory is both joyful and outrageously funny. Full color.
Published February 1st 1999 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about What A Truly Cool World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What A Truly Cool World

Sephire
I love this book!! It is a new spin on how the earth was made. In this book God has advisors that help him figure out what new and nice things should go on earth. Great book!
Tara Crump
God created the world and thought it was good...until Shaniqua, the angel of everybody else's business, offers her opinion. "What you made looks kind of boring," suggests Shaniqua and so God endeavors to make the world more beautiful. God sprinkles the ground with grass made from tree clippings and sings colorful flowers into existence. This book is truly humorous and creative. I shied away from rating this book as 5 stars because it's not really informative nor does it offer any obvious lesson, ...more
La'bria Hannah
This is a great African Folktale retold. I highly recommend this book because it focuses on diversity. It is easy to read and understand. Children can relate to the culturally appropriate and age appropriate language. One can easily tire of the typical creation myths. This book encourages children to explore different view points as well. The illustrations are bright and colorful and really show the reader the wonderful story.
Kristi Bernard
This is a great African Folktale retold. The illustrations are bright and colorful and really show the reader the wonderful tale.

When God finished making the world he was pleased. But Shaniqua, the angel in charge of every body's business had a few concerns. She felt that the world needed more colors. God made the brown earth, blue water and green trees, but that was it.

In order for God to create more colors he had to sing a make a beautiful sound. Music was created. And because of that music be
April
Apr 22, 2008 April rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
A delightful surprise! When I grabbed this from the library shelf, I was expecting something different, but I chuckled quietly to myself as I read it to my three-year old. When I read it to my husband he laughed out loud. It is a delightful re-telling of the Creation in easy modern language and with some joyful twists: the angel in charge of everybody's business, the heavenly choir chanting "God! God! He's our man! If he can't do it nobody can!" and a secretary who consults the "Library of Every ...more
Tanika
This book is about God creating the world. An angel thought it looked dull. God tried improving his creations but the angel was still not satisfied. She did not care for the colors of the world, until he added more colors. This story is good for using students imagination.
louisa
Joe Cepeda's bright, jaunty oil paintings with a sense of fun illustrate Julius Lester's humorous reworking of the creation of the world told in the vernacular with a few revisions. The language is a little dated for 2012- You the man! etc.- but the work is a ton of fun.
Snarky's
I have to use my balls-to-the-walls five star ratings more judiciously. I don't want to be all Trump Plaza (conflating over the top glitz with elegance) with my reviews.

That said. OMFG ILOVEJULIUSLESTER.
Sarah Woodbury
What a Truly Cool Book! Lester gives us everything we could want in a Creation account--humor, tradition, sillyness, revolution, color, comfort, and love. Amazing.
Chezon
My favorite children's book. Adapting it for drama class. Perhaps I can perform this book in American Sign Language....
Wonderful illustrations and use of language. I've read this to both second and fourth graders. Both really liked it.
Felicity
I forgot all about this book! This was definitely one of my favorites as a child!
Cathy Baker
This is my favorite children's book. Cute characters and great language.
Christi
This creation myth is kind of odd...
Ahmad Arman
Ahmad Arman marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Julia Drescher
Julia Drescher marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Chikelu Eshe
Chikelu Eshe marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Charmie McKinney
Charmie McKinney marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Angee
Angee marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Charisse Jackson
Charisse Jackson marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
I was born on January 27, 1939 in St. Louis, Missouri. From 1941-1954 I lived in Kansas City, Kansas, and from 1954-1961 in Nashville, Tennesse. I received a B.A. in English from Fisk University in 1960.

In 1961 I moved to New York City where I had a talk radio show on WBAI FM from 1966-1973, hosted a television talk show on WNET from 1969-1971.

Since 1968 I have published 43 books. Among the awards
More about Julius Lester...
Day of Tears John Henry To Be a Slave When Dad Killed Mom Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire