Start by marking “What A Truly Cool World” as Want to Read:
What A Truly Cool World

What A Truly Cool World

Bursting with folk-art style paintings, this witty and inspirational creationstory is both joyful and outrageously funny. Full color.
Published February 1st 1999 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about What A Truly Cool World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What A Truly Cool World

Apr 16, 2010 Sephire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love this book!! It is a new spin on how the earth was made. In this book God has advisors that help him figure out what new and nice things should go on earth. Great book!
Kristi Bernard
Sep 05, 2010 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing
This is a great African Folktale retold. The illustrations are bright and colorful and really show the reader the wonderful tale.

When God finished making the world he was pleased. But Shaniqua, the angel in charge of every body's business had a few concerns. She felt that the world needed more colors. God made the brown earth, blue water and green trees, but that was it.

In order for God to create more colors he had to sing a make a beautiful sound. Music was created. And because of that music be
Tara Crump
Feb 06, 2014 Tara Crump rated it really liked it
God created the world and thought it was good...until Shaniqua, the angel of everybody else's business, offers her opinion. "What you made looks kind of boring," suggests Shaniqua and so God endeavors to make the world more beautiful. God sprinkles the ground with grass made from tree clippings and sings colorful flowers into existence. This book is truly humorous and creative. I shied away from rating this book as 5 stars because it's not really informative nor does it offer any obvious lesson, ...more
Cara Byrne
Sep 14, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
Based on a story that Zora Neale Hurston recorded in _Mules in Men_, _What a Truly Cool World_ is one of the first picture books I've found connected to her anthropological work. In the book, Lester "allow[s] his imagination run free" as he tells a story about how God created the world - with the help (and pressure for more visual, natural diversity) of angel Shaniqua. I've never been a huge fan of Cepeda's illustrative style, but I appreciate his bold use of color and I think the illustrations ...more
Apr 22, 2008 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
A delightful surprise! When I grabbed this from the library shelf, I was expecting something different, but I chuckled quietly to myself as I read it to my three-year old. When I read it to my husband he laughed out loud. It is a delightful re-telling of the Creation in easy modern language and with some joyful twists: the angel in charge of everybody's business, the heavenly choir chanting "God! God! He's our man! If he can't do it nobody can!" and a secretary who consults the "Library of Every ...more
La'bria Hannah
This is a great African Folktale retold. I highly recommend this book because it focuses on diversity. It is easy to read and understand. Children can relate to the culturally appropriate and age appropriate language. One can easily tire of the typical creation myths. This book encourages children to explore different view points as well. The illustrations are bright and colorful and really show the reader the wonderful story.
Jun 11, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
First let me say that Julian Lester's style is more of a hip style that I had a more difficult time with. I also didn't think that it flowed. On that note, Julian Lester's style is not cookie cutter and different from 98% of the kids books that I have reviewed. I just couldn't get into the book enough to boost it to a 4.
Joe Cepeda's bright, jaunty oil paintings with a sense of fun illustrate Julius Lester's humorous reworking of the creation of the world told in the vernacular with a few revisions. The language is a little dated for 2012- You the man! etc.- but the work is a ton of fun.
Apr 17, 2011 Tanika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: imagination
This book is about God creating the world. An angel thought it looked dull. God tried improving his creations but the angel was still not satisfied. She did not care for the colors of the world, until he added more colors. This story is good for using students imagination.
Oct 02, 2008 Snarky's rated it really liked it
I have to use my balls-to-the-walls five star ratings more judiciously. I don't want to be all Trump Plaza (conflating over the top glitz with elegance) with my reviews.

Jan 24, 2011 Chezon rated it it was amazing
My favorite children's book. Adapting it for drama class. Perhaps I can perform this book in American Sign Language....
Mar 07, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Wonderful illustrations and use of language. I've read this to both second and fourth graders. Both really liked it.
Jul 21, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What a Truly Cool Book! Lester gives us everything we could want in a Creation account--humor, tradition, sillyness, revolution, color, comfort, and love. Amazing.
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Eboni rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2007
Shirley Brewer
Shirley Brewer rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Abu rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Kit Feral
Kit Feral rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Laretta rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Airyaa rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2009
Patricia rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Kalin Schoephoerster
Kalin Schoephoerster rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2011
Taylor rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2010
Emma rated it did not like it
Jun 28, 2015
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Sonia Allison
Sonia Allison rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Betsy Diamant-cohen
Betsy Diamant-cohen rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2009
Cathy Baker
Mar 13, 2008 Cathy Baker rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite children's book. Cute characters and great language.
Bill rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2009
I was born on January 27, 1939 in St. Louis, Missouri. From 1941-1954 I lived in Kansas City, Kansas, and from 1954-1961 in Nashville, Tennesse. I received a B.A. in English from Fisk University in 1960.

In 1961 I moved to New York City where I had a talk radio show on WBAI FM from 1966-1973, hosted a television talk show on WNET from 1969-1971.

Since 1968 I have published 43 books. Among the awards
More about Julius Lester...