Start by marking “Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)

Hostile Intent (Devlin #1)

It starts with the most horrific act of terrorism ever committed on American soil. Only one man can stop them. Code named Devlin, he exists only in the blackest shadows of the United States government -- operating off the grid as the NSA's top agent. He's their most lethal weapon . . . and their most secret. But someone is trying to draw him out into the open by putting Am

Mass Market Paperback, 360 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Hostile Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hostile Intent

David
Oct 20, 2011 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rush Limbaugh and other really stupid people
Recommended to David by: Nobody, but it would have to be someone who hates me and wants me to die
I lost IQ points listening to this. I wish I had known about the recommendation by Rush Limbaugh, which would have been a great big warning flag that this book is a toxic burning pool of stupid.

So it's another spy thriller written by a right-wing hack. I can cope with that, even right-wing hacks can write (sometimes) and I'd forgive idiotic political views and the obligatory jabs at librulz if the story was at least entertaining, but Michael Walsh's writing is down there at the Dan Brown level,
Steven Hummer
Sep 09, 2010 Steven Hummer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, ebooks
This book was a big disappointment. The author had been called "the next Vince Flynn" and nothing could be further from the truth after an action packed hostage standoff that ended with the hero snipping the bad guys and picking them off one by one the plot became so slow and often hard to follow. It was confusing trying to follow the storyline who was who and what they where doing.
Mike
Dec 08, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
I have just had the wonderful opportunity to read a fictional novel, entitled "Hostile Intent", by Michael Walsh. This gripping tale of terror and espionage spans the United States, London and France, as well as being a world wide threat. Devlin one of the stories main characters is a member of an elite branch known as Branch 4. This branch is unknown to everyone, including the President of the United States. the story starts with an apparent hostage taking in a small mid western town where a gr ...more
J
Sep 10, 2012 J rated it liked it
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS. I DON'T HIDE MY REVIEWS, BUT I DON'T PUT THEM OUT ON A FEED OR BLOG.

I'm less into thrillers based on government conspiracies than thrillers based on sicko criminals. Don't ask me why. (I make a huge exception for the novels of Daniel Silva, whose Israeli spy guy is my hero!)

Yet, I was intrigued in "Hostile Intent" by the notion of agents so deep and mysterious serving the U.S. government that they are unknown to two or fewer handlers.

The concept of using apparent terrorist
Ryan
Mar 28, 2012 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a Barnes and Noble "Free Friday" selection. I don't know that I'd pick it up otherwise, and I don't know that I'll seek out another book by this author. It was... OK.

The plot is something straight out of an episode of 24. An act of terrorism on American soil leads to a super-duper-secret operative getting involved at the bequest of the president to get to the bottom of the matter. A broader conspiracy is unearthed, including an eccentric billionaire mastermind, yada yada yada, to be con
Glen
Apr 08, 2015 Glen rated it really liked it
This is the first book from Michael Walsh that I've read. I'm not sure if I needed to read one of his previous books because I was having a bit of a problem trying to understand how the main character, NSA's secret agent, Devlin,and his handler General Seelye came about. A few of the story lines and characters, that intertwined in the main plot, left me a little confused in the end. I was left wondering what happened to everyone else included in the story besides the 3 or 4 main characters. Over ...more
Marty
Jan 09, 2011 Marty rated it did not like it
I read political thrillers before 9/11 and the fact that most of the authors were far right wing didn't bother me. I think since 9/11 they have all lost their minds. Else I have become newly intolerant. This book features a hero who has dead parents, is super great at computers, super great at fighting, is the only guy in the world who can be the final arbiter of right and wrong. Know-it-alls, holier-than-thous are no fun in life and no fun in fiction. IF you believe that women are more than bab ...more
Kinga
Jan 05, 2011 Kinga rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, audiobook
Its plot was enjoyably original. The author took advantage of the full freedom that comes with creating something fictional; something that does not have to be restrained by the statistical rigorousness of real life. He allowed himself the indulgence to create the main character, Devlon, to be more powerful and free than even the president of the United States. Sure, he also gave the main character his share of heartache and loneliness, but just the perfect amount so that the "everyday joe and j ...more
April
Oct 28, 2014 April rated it it was ok
Decided to step away from my "normal" reading lists and venture out into something new.

Hostile Intent by Michael Walsh, although not really my "cup of tea", was still interesting. Walsh takes you inside some of the secret inner workings of the government's defenses. Secret branches of the DoD and their secret weapons. People who don't exist.....except for their code name, known only to a select few.

Multiple terrorist attacks. Each one worse than the last with the promise of one, final, world a
Veronica
Apr 25, 2011 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Opa
Oct 08, 2010 Opa rated it it was ok
Why is it with authors, like Mr. Walsh, who can on the one hand draw intriguing pictures about history and events with his talent for words, then on the other hand boldly ruin the picture by not being able to communicate emotions without the superfluousness use of f-bombs? I would think that authors can be as smart and successful like Grisham and Cussler who really know how to wordsmith without swearing. It is a shame that many of these new authors are so ignorant in how to use their talents to ...more
Jessica
May 09, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Matthew
Sep 18, 2009 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Awesome plot and story line. At times it got a bit far fetched (at least I hope it is far fetched). The dissapointing part was the style of writing. I found myself with whiplash at many times where the writer would take me from one thing to a completely different thing in the span of two words. While some of it was for dramatic affect I'm sure, it could have been handled a bit better. It also had a bunch of extra information in it that didn't add to the story.
Jenny
Sep 06, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2010
This page-turning thriller hooks you quickly and keeps the momentum going through the entire book (as long as you don't allow yourself to get weighed down in the technobabble that Walsh so enjoys). Beyond the bloated techno-spy-geekery, Hostile Intent is an enjoyable read with a few surprisingly tender moments. Top-notch literature? Definitely not, but well-worth the time, especially as a free Kindle edition read from Amazon.
Macjest
Nov 15, 2011 Macjest rated it it was ok
This was a free book I downloaded from Amazon. It's kind of in the same vein as Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, or Robert Ludlum, but not quite at the same level. By the end of the book, I was a little confused as to the wrap-up of the plot line. I tend to not read many thrillers set in the present day. Some authors have this awful habit of trying to impress with too many techno gadgets, which detracts from the story line. The same happened here unfortunately.
Beverly
Jul 21, 2014 Beverly rated it liked it
It starts with an act of terrorism on American soil. Only one man can stop them. Code named Devlin, he exists in the shadows of the United States government, operating off the grid as the NSA's top agent. He's their most lethal weapon and their most secret. But someone is trying to draw him out into the open by putting America's citizens in the crosshairs until they get what they want. OK book, but very predictable.
Terri
Jul 03, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it
This one kept me guessing, with enough twists and turns in the plot to confuse both me and the protagonist. This is a novel of political intrigue, sort of, master villainy, sort of, and personal integrity. If you like thrillers, you will probably find this a good read. I got it as a cheap or free Kindle selection some time ago, but then I got behind on my reading. I'll have to see what other books the author has written.
Lesli
Not so much. Started out well. Rapidly careened off the road, down the gulley, and landed as a fiery pile of poo. The story reeks of hatred, paranoia, improbable secrecy, and self-loathing. Then, there's the super secret, really smart spy that doesn't know the REAL secret...which I had figured out in the first twenty pages. Ugh, such high hopes. Guess I'll stick to re-reading Hunt for Red October anytime I feel the urge to read about spies and espionage.
George Reilly
Sep 13, 2010 George Reilly rated it it was ok
Superspy Devlin, head of the U.S. government's most secret black ops team, is on the run, apparently having being framed by someone with inside knowledge.

Second-rate ripoff of Robert Ludlum and Tom Clancy. Ludicrous plot, cliched characters, risible technobabble. I gave it longer than I should before abandoning it.

Avoid.
Tim Smith
Jan 15, 2014 Tim Smith rated it liked it
Gratuitous use of profanity in dialogue and predictable character development were distracting factors. Also came off as a Tom Clancy wannabe. Although some might think that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I'd rather see a writer develop his or own voice. Two more books in this series, so I hope that Walsh does better than he did in this one
Mark
Yeah baby, right up may alley...classic techno-thriller...I've been in the mood form some anti-terrorist action...Devlin, a Scott Harvath/Mitch Rapp-type character and his cohorts, battling a George Soros-type villian out to destroy America and rule the world...run-of-the-mill thriller, but the genre I eat up!!!
Kathi Olsen
Sep 06, 2012 Kathi Olsen rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A spy "thriller" that is a pretty easy read. In some ways I thought it was very unrealistic because of the skills of so many people. There are parts when the narrator talks about the technicalities of technology and weapons so much it seems mostly like gobbeldy-gook. However, since I am not steeped in spy knowledge it's possible that there was more realism than I could give credit to.
Julian Tan
Sep 01, 2010 Julian Tan rated it liked it
Good story, interesting premise but ultimately I think he tries too hard with an overly complex and obfuscated plot, too much technobabble and too many unrealistic hoops for the reader to jump through.
Lauren
Nov 07, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
Trying to clean a bunch of freebies off of my kindle. This was actually a decent political/terrorist thriller. My biggest complaint is that I found over 30 typos. Not misspellings...auto-correct filling in the wrong words. I feel bad for the guy, like his editors didn't even read the book.
James
Jul 31, 2014 James rated it did not like it
Horrible plot jumps, technical references that were just plain wrong. Don't bother unless you're a thriller junkie needing a fix, even then I would recommend rereading anything by Thor, Flynn, Child, etc.
Rjames1999
Dec 06, 2010 Rjames1999 rated it liked it
Started out very interesting. However, as time went along there was a couple of occurrences that were just too much of a coincidence. Still, the characters and concepts are interesting and I must admit I want to see more in the next books. Starting a series is always a challenge I bet.
stormhawk
Aug 30, 2009 stormhawk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Fantastic example of the thriller genre ... action, excitement, explosions, and intrigue.

The door is clearly left wide open for sequels, and at least one loose end was left untied, but this is a fun ride.
Chris Dickerson
Aug 23, 2010 Chris Dickerson rated it really liked it
Very good spy thriller from an author who has a much better understanding of intelligence agencies and spy craft than most. The plot does require the willing disbelief of reality, but a very good read (a page turner in fact).
David
Nov 09, 2012 David rated it really liked it
This post 9-11 starts with a bang. The unthinkable happens. A school in small-town America is taken over by terrorists. But it'sd only the first move in a terrifying game of cat and mouse. The story grips you from page one and doesn't let go.
Luann
Oct 18, 2010 Luann rated it really liked it
This is the first Michael Walsh book I've read and I really enjoyed it but I did feel like there were some holes in the story. I plan on reading the sequel in hopes to get some answers.
  • War by Other Means: An Insider's Account of the War on Terror
  • The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Raising Jake
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Hostage (Navy Justice #2)
  • Primitive
  • The Mark (Henry Parker, #1)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
  • The History of Terrorism: From Antiquity to al Qaeda
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)
  • Mourn The Living
  • Mania
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • Amberville
With five critically acclaimed novels, as well as a hit TV movie, journalist, author and screenwriter Michael Walsh has achieved the writer's trifecta: two New York Times best-sellers, a major literary award and, as co-writer, the Disney Channel's then-highest-rated show.

The 1998 publication of As Time Goes By -- his long-awaited and controversial prequel/sequel to everybody's favorite movie, Casa
More about Michael Walsh...

Devlin (3 books)
  • Early Warning (Devlin, #2)
  • Shock Warning (Devlin, #3)

“The country craved change, even when it didn't need it. America was an entire nation suffering from attention deficit disorder.” 2 likes