Start by marking “Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)” as Want to Read:
Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)

Drive Time (Charlotte McNally #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Investigative reporter Charlotte McNally is an expert at keeping things confidential, but suddenly everyone has a secret—and it turns out it is possible to know too much.

Her latest scoop—an exposé of a dangerous car scam, complete with stakeouts, high-speed chases and hidden-camera footage—is ratings gold. But soon that leads her to a
Published January 19th 2010 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Drive Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drive Time

Ed
#4 in the Charlotte "Charlie" McNally series. Charlie is a somewhat age-obsessed, investigative reporter for a Boston TV station. This entry wraps up this short series and does a better job than most. The prize-nominated novel (Finalist 2010 Agatha Award for Best Novel & Finalist 2011 Anthony Award for Best Paperback) was clearly written to wrap up plot lines and point to a new vista.

Charlotte "Charlie" McNally series - Investigative reporter Charlotte McNally is an expert at keeping things
Cindy Bauer
Ms. Ryan has really outdone herself on this last installment to the Charlotte McNally series. This time Charlie’s aiming to stop a car scam operation while at the same time, planning for her upcoming wedding. By far the best of the four McNally stories, Ryan has held nothing back in this one. Full of action including high-speed car chases, hidden video, stakeouts, and even her fiancé and stepdaughter get tangled up in the weaving of deception, secrets and murder.

Ryan has a knack for storytelling
Fred
Drive Time is the 4th in the Charlotte McNally series and is nominated for
an Agatha Award-Best Novel, to be awarded this coming Saturday. One of the
things most authors say when asked what one should write about, they say
write about you know. Well in Ryan's case that is exactly what she has
done. She has been an investigative reporter for around 20 years.

Charlotte McNally has recently become engaged to Josh, a professor at a
private school. So Charlie is juggling her reporter career with the n
Kara Jorges
Charlie McNally is a seasoned TV reporter, recently engaged and looking forward to her future as a wife and stepmother. Nothing in life is ever that easy, though, and Charlie finds herself having to make an important decision that will affect her future at the same time she’s embroiled in two mysteries.

A car accident puts her and her team onto a dangerous VIN-number and airbag-theft scheme; the kind of story that could push Charlie into the big time. The only thing is, she’s already been given a
Maria Snyder
The reason this one took so long is I had to stop to read 7 other books to judge for the RITA awards (and no, I'm not allowed to post any comments or titles of the books I scored).

I really enjoyed this book - the heroine is the fictional equivalent to the author, Hank Phillippi Ryan - she's an investigative reporter for TV news and so is Charlie McNally. I liked the main character very much - she's smart, agressive (but not pushy or obnoxious) and pro-active. The book is written in first person
Mary Welk
In DRIVE TIME, the fourth book in Ryan's Charlotte McNally series, TV reporter Charlie McNally stumbles upon a deviously dangerous scheme when she and her producer Franklin stop to help the victim of a highway accident. Declan Ross tells her his vehicle is in the repair shop following a manufacturer's recall notice. He's driving a rental car--now badly damaged--and is furious because the air bags didn't deploy during the crash. Instinct tells Charlie there's a story brewing here, and what better ...more
Betty
This is Book 4 of the Charlotte McNalley Novel series, and as such, the main characters come to us fully formed with personalities intact. Unfortunately for me, this is the first I've read. Author Hank Phillippi Ryan knows what she's about in the world of investigative reporting and television, and in the fictional world of Charlotte, better known as Charley McNalley, her experience comes through. The book, though a novel, rings true and the plot(s) are tight. An accident is witnessed by Charley ...more
Kathleen Hagen
Drive Time, by Hank Phillippi Ryan, a-minus, Narrated by Margaret Daly, Produced by Harlequin and Audible Inc., downloaded from audible.com.

This is the third in the Charlie McMally series. In this book, things are more exciting, more challenging, and just as deadly for Charlie and her producer, Franklin. Charlie is now, in addition to living in her own condo, living at least part-time with her fiancée, Josh and his daughter, Penny. Charlie is very committed to making Josh and Penny her family, b
Viccy
Another great tale from Hank Phillippi Ryan. Charlie McNally is on the trail of the bad guys again. This time, it's people who steal air bags out of cars and clone VIN numbers to cover car thefts. The scary part, it appears to me that this scam could easily be going on across the country right now! Charlie is alerted when she witnesses a car crash that could have been fatal because the air bags did not deploy in a car that was rented from the Car King agency. Charlie follows the leads and uncove ...more
Sheila Beaumont
Investigative TV news reporter Charlie McNally has a lot on her plate: a dangerous car-identity-theft scam; her upcoming marriage; mysterious threatening phone calls, suspicious deaths, and possible blackmail at the private school where her fiance teaches; secrets to keep; frustration at her inability to be in two places at the same time; and an important life decision to make.

It's an intriguing, complex tale, and fortunately Ms. Ryan is a skillful storyteller and a first-rate writer. She also k
Sara Barton
I came across "Drive Time" in the middle of the Big Storm of 2011. It was a sanity saver at a time of no power and no heat, when food poisoning (restaurant generator failed to keep the food cold enough) rendered me helpless and hopeless. Best part? It gave me food for thought and a story to savor as the pages were read. It's like comfort food for a hungry reader.

Hank Phillippi Ryan creates some wonderful characters. The feisty Charlotte "Charlie" McNally is the savvy investigative reporter on th
Lucinda
Drive Time (Mira 2010) finds Charlotte “Charlie” McNally, a 40-something TV investigative reporter in Boston, trying to balance the pressures of her job with her desire to spend time with new fiancé Josh and almost-stepdaughter Penny. Since Penny’s mother is in California with her new husband, nine-year old Penny is living full time with her father, and about to enter the second term at Bexter, the exclusive private school where Josh teaches. When Josh tells Charlie that Dorothy Whit, the Head’s ...more
Brenda
If i could I would give it a 4.5 but I can't. I have many books I've picked up and read in one day, this one took me three. The plot is very intricate, so intricate that you have to really have to concentrate on all of the little details to keep on top of the story. I guess I like stories a little less tight, one that flows but you can lay it down and don't have to pick it back up and start figuring out what it was you missed during the time the book was lying down and you either missed or forgo ...more
Mark Baker
DRIVE TIME by Hank Phillippi Ryan (Charlotte McNally #4) - 4
Charlie is hot on the trail of a car scam that seems to be getting more out of hand. Meanwhile, she's looking into threatening phone calls at the private school where her fiancee works and a job offer to another city is making her life even more complicated.

Charlie seemed to make a few leaps early in the book that didn't make much sense to me, but once the story got rolling, it followed logically from one twist to another. The character
Paula A Chase
Couldn't put it down!

Couldn't put it down!

Fantastic mystery thriller. High tension maintained throughout the book. ending all most bittersweet for Charlotte. Can't wait to read the next sequel.
Karen J
Drive Time has a plot line that is well-thought out with lots of twists and turns. It is very believable and full of action. This book is for those who love a mystery/crime story told by someone who really knows her subject well. Ms. Ryan is a great writer as well as an award-winning investigative reporter. Her main character, Charlie McNally, is also an investigative reporter who is smart and assertive in finding answers to her questions. The personal stories that involve her fiancé and her cow ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
"Drive Time" was by far the best book in the series. The Author is gaining her legs and I can see this series developing before our eyes.

There were two mysteries grabbing our attention from the beginning to the ending. Would they merge? How on earth could they? The reader feels they have a handle on the case and then Ms. Ryan, cleverly, throws a wrench into the works. Off you go to re-evaluate your theories.

I can hardly wait for the next book. At least I sincerely hope there will be another one
Jody

I got Hank Phillippi Ryan's Drive Time read recently. I can't say how much I enjoyed this well-written book. Charlotte McNally is working hard to make a big ratings story in the middle of possible changes to her life. Can she finish moving in with SO Franklin without feeling like she's lost a piece of her identity? Can she keep all the secrets she seems to be collecting? What about the threats, not to mention the possible murders, have on the private school? I felt like this was a very believabl
Susan
Boston television investigative reporter Charlotte (Charlie) is about to tell her team about her engagement when they witness a bad accident. Charlie needs an idea for sweeps week, and wonders about whether all the cars recalled for safety are really repaired. Soon the team is working on various aspects of car safety. Meanwhile, there are peculiar phone calls plaguing the school where her fiance teaches, followed by an accidental death. Charlie can't be two places at once: how will she reconcile ...more
Terry
Book four in the Charlotte McNally series is another winner. Charlie's now engaged, and must now grapple between personal choices (family time) and her career drive. She and Franklin--and new guy JT---are investigating a car theft racket, but at the same time, she is looking into some threatening phone calls and mysterious death's at Bexter (where her fiancee, Josh, teaches). Lots of secrets to keep and to juggle: can she pull it off again? This is a terrific TV journalist mystery series. Hank R ...more
Kathy Jund
Hank Phillippi Ryan's best Charlotte McNally installment! Although it's the last in the series, (and the new one is 3 installments in), I had to see how Hank brought this great series to a close! You won't be disappointed THAT is no secret!! As always a multitude of mysteries which mange to become entwined in each other! Secrets are root of everything! Charlotte finds out everyone has them especially her! Sometimes protecting a source can be a challenge!
Gail Baugniet
Drive Time is a mystery novel about an investigative reporter in Boston who doesn't stop digging until she discovers the truth, sometimes at great risk to herself.

Protagonist, Charlotte "Charlie" McNally takes the reader along on a hair-raising ride as she uncovers clues and lies that could lead to murder. Charismatic Charlie keeps the reader in suspense about the investigations and her personal life up to the satisfying end.
Marilyn Knox
Nov 23, 2012 Marilyn Knox rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marilyn by: read by random chance
Interesting but I was able to put it down without any problem. I let the book go with 40 pages to read so the plot twist did not pull me in.
I liked the prep school descriptions and the t.v. background.

My husband picked this book up by chance at the library. I find that I read better books if I pre-select and request them through the library's on line service. This book was not up to my usual standards.
Connie
"Drive Time" is my first Hank Philippi Ryan novel and I loved it. Charlie McNally is a great character, with lots of depth and a fascinating job, much like, I suspect her creator. The story line was interesting and different from most other crime novels. I'm going back to start the series at the beginning.
Phyllis
Drive Time features Charlie McNally investigating automotive hijinks - stolen cars and cloned cars at the same time as she's looking into blackmail, extortion and murder at her fiance's school. Hank Phillippi Ryan writes with complicated plots and interesting characters.
Janet
Book Club selection for October 2012. Couldln't get through it. There was too much relationship angst and excruciating detail about the life of an investigative reporter to wade through before getting to the meat of the mystery and any mystery-solving.
Mary Kay
Charlotte is an investigative reporter following an elaborate stolen car scam. Her fiance teaches at an elite school where things are not what they should be. The two stories mesh & Charlotte finds herself in danger.
Deborah
This fourth installment of the Charlotte McNally series was definitely a turning point for the character. I really enjoyed it, and look forward to further books as Charlie moves on with her life.
Doug Branscombe
Charlie McNally, investigative reporter in Boston uncovers situations at a private school, with a valet parking group and deals with situations in her own personal and professional life.
Jason
I Love Charlie Mac! This series is incredible and each book just gets better, and more exciting than the last. Can't wait for the next one!
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Dial H for Hitchcock (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #5)
  • Antiques Knock-Off (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #5)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
HANK PHILLIPPI RYAN is the investigative reporter for Boston's NBC affiliate. A television journalist since 1975, she has won 32 Emmys and twelve Edward R. Murrow awards for her work. Her work has resulted in new laws, people sent to prison, homes removed from foreclosure, and millions of dollars in restitution.

A best-selling author of six bestselling novels of suspense, the first Jane Ryland nove
More about Hank Phillippi Ryan...

Charlotte McNally (4 books)
  • Prime Time
  • Face Time (Charlotte McNally, #2)
  • Air Time (Charlotte McNally, #3)
The Other Woman (Jane Ryland, #1) The Wrong Girl (Jane Ryland, #2) Prime Time Truth Be Told (Jane Ryland & Jake Brogan, #3) Face Time (Charlotte McNally, #2)