Odd Jobs: Portraits of Unusual Occupations

Odd Jobs: Portraits of Unusual Occupations

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Who blows the bugle at the Kentucky Derby? Who dusts the dinosaur bones at the Smithsonian? Who sniffs dog breath for a living? Who measures the breasts of real models? ODD JOBS introduces you to the real people who perform these truly peculiar jobs. In 65 intimate portraits, photo essayist Nancy Rica Schiff captures the personalities and occupations of these oddball profe...more
Published October 28th 2002 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Odd Jobs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odd Jobs

Thomas Andrikus
First, take a look a the cover. Yes, that woman gets paid for smelling people's body odours... Her job title is "odour judge", where she has to tell the efficacy of deodorants.

Each odd job is shown with a picture accompanying it. They can range from the envy of millions such as Videogame Tester, Dog walker, Beer taster, or bra designer to the less pleasant ones such as Bull semen collector, Knife thrower's assistant (who works with the famed Larry Cisewski as a live target for knife stage shows)...more
Jessica
very strange. very funny. a little disturbing.
Noah
Odd Jobs is a very funny book about weird jobs that people have. These jobs are from from the regular cubical jobs most people have. These jobs are disgusting, dangerous, but use full and funny. Jobs from tasting foods for a living, smelling different products on people for a living and a whole bunch of jobs that you don't really hear about.
I can connect this to Ripleys Believe it or not because a lot of these books I really couldn't believe at all. Some of these jobs you couldn't even imagine...more
Raina
Surprisingly small for a photo-book. Each spread shows a black and white photo of an odd job, with a title, location and description on the opposite page. Gross (Colonics Therapist) to obscure (Duckmaster), it's fun to watch the parade. Some of them don't seem like they could possibily support someone, and some of the descriptions seem to hint that some are only partial occupations. Which was a little disappointing, as I thought this would be a good source of "look all the bizarre stuff you can...more
Tracey
Sep 09, 2007 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those with a quirky sense of humour and job seekers looking to try something different
I got Odd Jobs: Portraits of Unusual Occupations as a quirky Christmas gift from my mom. It contains profiles of about 75 people with "unusual occupations. I was somewhat familiar with about a third of the jobs, and was really only surprised by about a dozen. I did learn a couple of new job titles: diener & solfeggist. The index at the back makes for easy reference.

Each 2-page spread contains a picture and a few paragraphs about the person & the job. Not a lot of reading, but a good brow...more
David Ward
Odd Jobs: Portraits of Unusual Occupations by Nancy Rica Schiff (Ten Speed Press 2002)(779.2) is a quirky little book. It simply shows a photo of someone demonstrating each occupation along with the name of the job-holder and a simple paragraph describing the job. Examples include a "symphony page turner(musician's assistant", a "dinosaur duster", a "mohel" (don't ask if you're not Jewish), and a scoreboard operator at Fenway Park in Boston. There are roughly seventy such occupations shown. This...more
Kaye
This book gives a list of unusual jobs that you'd never really think about anyone doing . Some sound kinda fun,while others sound really gross .
The ones that I might be interested in would be :
---a potato chip tester --they have to make sure the chips aren't too well done when coming out of the machine,also any that are stuck together have to be discarded. I suppose you could sample a few TONS of them per year ,so it might be fun til you got sick of potato chips .
----Dinosaur duster-who has to...more
Mary
Great B&W photos and wonderful descriptions--this book is a gem!

Full of jobs best described as "who knew?", this is a peak into occupations that one seldom thinks about. "Condom checker" (a woman), "tampon tester" (a man), "coffin builder", to name a few. The photos are perfect--highly recommended.
Marianna Monaco
Wonderfully zany.
Among my favorite professionals are:
Duckmaster for the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, Tennessee
LEGO Model Maker, Francie Berger, who created a 54 inch diameter model of the Aztec sun calendar
Dinosaur Duster

Great photographic portraits
Jessica
Quirky, silly, maybe a little frivolous, but it was fun to read and see the odd jobs there are out there. I also enjoyed examining the photographs that accompanied each "odd job".
Denise
Interesting stuff.
Damarindah
A collection of photographs and short description of odd jobs, those we might know they should existed but we have never had a chance to meet with the incumbent directly, have we?

The book is really an interesting eye-opener. Good job!
Tracy
Mar 10, 2008 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: click
This is a good book to flip through when you're unhappy with your job. You'll either be inspired to break out of the corporate mold or be delighted to discover that there is something worse than your job.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A blurb and a photo of those who do very peculiar work in this world. My friends...this one has your name on it.
Matty
Interesting with nice, clear format; left page has picture & right page has short description.
Lynnea
This was entertaining but not as good as I thought it would be. Mayber ODDER JOBS will be better?
Shonna Froebel
Some of these jobs are really odd.
Stephanie
Short, fast read. Nothing surprising.
Christin
This is a fun one for story prompts
Leshawn
Quick fun quirky read.
Mary Louise
Funny, sad. Funny-sad.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Odder Jobs: More Portraits of Unusual Occupations A Celebration of the 80s: Portraits Odd Jobs 2005 Calendar