Start by marking “Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess (Belston & Friends, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess (Belston & Friends, #2)

Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess (Belston & Friends #2)

Daphne Collingham is masquerading as a governess in Lord Timothy Colton's home-- determined to discover if he is responsible for her beloved cousin's death. She's prepared to uncover secrets and scandal, but the biggest revelation is the way she feels under the lord's dark gaze....Lord Colton is suspicious of the alluring new governess--and with the furor surrounding him h ...more
Published July 24th 2009 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess

Ruth
I really loved the book this one follows, Miss Winthorpe's Elopement. I loved the characters, the plot and the writing. I just didn't enjoy this one quite as much, I'm afraid.

The plot itself is quite an intriguing one, and although I guessed WhoDunnit, it made a nice change of pace in my reading, if a little too gothic for my tastes.

I also really liked the hero. Tortured, withdrawn, essentially a tragic fragment of what we saw in Miss Winthorpe's Elopement.

But I did have some problems with th
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: July 1, 2011 (re-issue)
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Harlequin Historical
Author’s Website: http://christine-merrill.com
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, Belston and Friends
Series Best Read In Order: Yes but works well as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy

This is the sequel to Miss Winthorpe's Elopement which received a 4/5 Star rating from me. Readers should be aware th
Katie Michaels
Daphne is convinced there is more to her cousin Clare's death than meets the eye. In fact, Daphne is certain that Clare's husband Timothy is to blame. So in order to find the truth, Daphne poses as a governess for Clare's children. The plan is simple: ingratiate herself into the household and expose Timothy as a murderer.

She never expects to care for the children. And certainly, she could never anticipate the undeniable attraction between Tim and herself. Yet, she finds herself falling in love
Janga
May 31, 2011 Janga rated it really liked it
Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess is a sequel to Miss Winthorpe’s Elopement. In the earlier book, Timothy, Lord Colton is the betrayed husband. In this one, he is the tormented hero suspected of murdering his wife. Daphne Collingham, cousin to his wife, is among those who are suspicious of him. She infiltrates his household in the guise of governess to his three children. Predictably, the innocent governess, after suitably harrowing moments of doubt, fear, and reluctant attraction, falls in lov ...more
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Daphne Collingham suspects fault play in her favorite cousin’s death, she thinks Clare’s husband is responsible for her dismissal. Daphne feels the need to find out the truth and bring the responsible to the courts of law.
Daphne is living as her cousin thought her to, trying to enjoy life as much as possible without thinking much about the consequences of her actions. Thanks to this she is found in a compromising situation. Her family
Vampire-lk
Sooo sweet!!! Loved how she went from high society girl to demure country/governess she find her true self & it's not in the countless new ball gowns or endless ton parties, but with love of a great man & a family to call her own!!!!! Eeeekkkkkssss!!!!!! :) ❤

Yipppeeee!!!! LOVED THIS STORY!!!!!!
Awwwww true love....a second time around!!!!! :)
Lord Colton was a tortured soul & Miss Collins (Collingham) has never been a governess, but embraced the role out of loyalty to her cousin find
Jenn
May 22, 2011 Jenn rated it it was ok
This book got better as it went on. I didn't really appreciate the premise of the story, but that's a personal choice. I'm guessing most of the things I don't like about the book might boil down to personal preference so take the rating for what it's worth.

I found the first "love" scene, in which she is a virgin, to be outlandish and overly painful, it paints the hero as a complete jerk, an unrecoverable jerk.

As for her, her motives were absolutely ridiculous.

I don't like the cover much

I roll
Cyn Mistress Kitty
This story was ok for me. I just couldn't quite connect with the characters. Daphne seemed much too willful and childish although she did change a lot. Lord Colton was a bit too brooding although I could see that he had gone through a lot. I guess it might have helped if I had read the first book in the series.
I liked the suspense in the story of what really happened to the dead wife and I felt bad for what the children had gone though.

**I received this as an ARC from NetGalley**
nurmawati
Dec 07, 2011 nurmawati rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, hr, buku-eng
3.5 bintang....

Daphne Collingham nyamar jadi governess dan pergi ke rumahsepupunya clarissa yang di duga meninggal di tangan suami nya, Timothy, Lord Colton...
clarissa (clarre) adalah sepupu kesayangan daphne...so pas clare meninggal daphne mau mencari cara supaya suami nya bertanggung jawab....
daphne menyamae sebagai miss collins yang bakal bekerja sebagai governess untuk ke 3 anak tim....

anak2 mereka terkenal sulit di atur ...terutama anak bungsu nya yang aneh, gak mau bicara dan suka manggamb
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Daphne Collingham is masquerading as a governess in Lord Timothy Colton's home— determined to discover if he is responsible for her beloved cousin's death. She's prepared to uncover secrets and scandal, but the biggest revelation is the way she feels under the lord's dark gaze….

Lord Colton is suspicious of the alluring new governess—and with the furor surrounding him he must control his passion. But a man has his limits, and the delectable Miss Collingham is pure temptation….

Daphne Collingham
Karyn Gerrard
Jun 29, 2011 Karyn Gerrard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit up front, I love the governess romance angle, innocent miss coming into the home of a tortured or scarred hero, who has closed off his heart. it has been done many times and I never get tired of it. Jane Eyre never gets old in my book.

Daphne Collingham is pretending to be a governess in Lord Timothy Colton's home, because of her cousin's mysterious death, at the supposed hands of the evil Lord. Daphne is determined to get at the bottom of it.
First, she was a beloved cousin, yet Daph
Kimm
Aug 25, 2011 Kimm rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoy Harlequin Historicals. They are just the right length for a nice easy evening read after a long day in the grind (work, family, life, whatever you want to call it). Because I am a huge Regency fan, I was immediately drawn to this title when I saw it. Nothing terribly long and complicated, but sound writing that leaves you with a feel good ending. On a technical note, I’m going to jump straight to the one thing that struck me the most about this story – the tight focus of the setti ...more
Wendy
Jun 05, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
Daphne has found herself being banned from London after being found in a compromising position. Instead of going into exile with the family her parent's have chosen, she makes a deal with a governess traveling to the home of her deceased cousin to care for her children. Posing as a governess, though she can barely do sums herself, she is determined to uncover the truth about her cousin's untimely death, most likely at the hands of Lord Timothy Colton. Instead, what she finds is that she is falli ...more
~ToniG~
Aug 03, 2011 ~ToniG~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on goodreads, first-reads!

I think Christine Merrill is going to be my new guilty pleasure!

I love her writing! Her Harlequin romances are great, and not too raunchy as so many other authors do to these types of books. I loved her story line and was so happy I decided to read the first book to this collection. Though it is not necessary, it helps a little to be introduced to some of the characters.

I have mentioned before how I love returning characters in books by the same author.
Cherish
Mar 24, 2012 Cherish rated it it was amazing
Cleffairy
May 11, 2011 Cleffairy rated it really liked it
Reviewed at: Library of Lights

Date reviewed: 12 May 2011

Review link: http://mykindaland.com/?p=254

Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess by Christine Merrill is a very, very exciting book to read. It reminds me of Jane Eyre, with the brooding lord and the governess in a huge manor and whatnot. Yes... it's a little bit like Jane Eyre to me, with a dark, sensual, passionate twist, that it.

I enjoyed reading this book, and I have to say that it not only make my heart skip a few beats at times, but it al
Aspoon
Aug 10, 2014 Aspoon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hated:
1) The heroine "trying" to be a Nancy Drew and failed BIG TIME...she wouldn't know a clue if it was handwritten in her own writing
2) She was a virgin that gave freely gave her virginity to her cousins husband without second thought (gross)
3) Once she gave him her virginity she was as horny and desperate for his attention and love making like some a bunny rabbit. He has sex with her and then treats her like dog crap the very next minute, the next day and so on..and then she still has sex wi
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
I’m reviewing this for Net Galley

Daphne Collingham learns that her cousin, Clarissa, has died in mysterious circumstances. Daphne trades places with a governess to gain employment with Lord Colton, her deceased cousin’s husband, in order to investigate the circumstances surrounding Clarissa’s untimely death. During the course of her duties as governess, Daphne realizes that she might have been hasty in thinking Lord Colton was responsible for Clarissa’s death. The only thing she has to fear from
May 27, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, arcs
There is a line in a Tori Amos song that goes "You sign Prince of Darkness, try Squire of Dimness" that describes this book perfectly. The Dangerous Lord... isn't. The heroine falling in love with him while still thinking he might've killed her cousin is just icky, and she never stops to think about the consequences. It gets two stars instead of one because it isn't patently offensive, and the writing was all right enough that I actually finished it.
Jasey
Linda
Feb 19, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess" grabs you at Chapter One and doesn't let go. By Chapter Two, you're fully involved in the mystery surrounding Tim Colton and the mysterious death of his wife; you just have to keep reading! This is the first book I've read by Christine Merrill. She's acquired a new fan. Bravo!
Kit
Sep 08, 2010 Kit rated it liked it
For those that read Miss Winthorpe's Elopement this story revolves around Adam's friend Timothy and his deceased wife's (Claire) cousin Daughne. Daughne comes to prove that Timothy pushed Claire down the stairs. While the story starts out as nothing but frustrating, Ms. Merrill actually wrapped it up with a poignant ending.
Lisa B.
I'm reading the book right now, I just had to do something so I wouldn't throw my iPod on the wall, I just can't stand the heroine, I've read some other comments that say she gets better, but I'm frustrated with her, I loved the first book, but this one is really killing it
Lakeisha
the heroine rubbed me the wrong way sometimes....sigh just didn't believe her hype. Enjoyed the 1st book more, but glad that Tim received his happy-ending :).
Sarah J. Bradley
Can I give this one a better than 5 star rating? If you're looking for historical romance with suspense and a twist of humor, you can't get any better than Christine Merrill, or this book!
Angie
Angie rated it did not like it
Nov 17, 2011
Elb4966
Elb4966 rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2016
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Karen Crawford
Karen Crawford rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Governess and the Sheikh (Armstrong Sisters #2)
  • Practical Widow to Passionate Mistress (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #1)
  • The Rogue's Disgraced Lady
  • The Shy Duchess
  • Her Wyoming Man
  • Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • The Accidental Countess (Accidental, #2)
  • The Bride Raffle
  • Bought: The Penniless Lady  (Gentlemen of Fortune, #2)
  • How To Marry a Rake
  • A Dark and Brooding Gentleman
  • Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)
  • Lady Allerton's Wager
  • Scandalizing The Ton
  • A Question of Impropriety
Christine Merrill has wanted to be an author for as long as she can remember. But one thing stood in her way: touch typing.

Six weeks spent on an IBM Selectric in her Sophomore year of high school proved that she would never be able to produce one readable page of manuscript, much less several hundred.

Twenty years passed, and she found ways to pass the time: marrying her high school sweetheart; hav
More about Christine Merrill...

Belston & Friends (2 books)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)