Start by marking “The Lemon Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Lemon Sisters

The Lemon Sisters

A cold day gives way to warm surprises in this joyful story of sisters that bridges generations and gives voice to the magical bond of sisterhood. Full color.
Published January 19th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Lemon Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lemon Sisters

Kathryn
Jun 26, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Cheryl
A sweet story features something rather unusual in picture books—an elderly protagonist. The eighty-year-old lady narrates the story explaining how she watches three little girls playing in the snow and how they remind her of herself and her sisters when they were young. This leads her to reminisce about her sisters and how she misses them and wishes they would visit. There are a few "surprises" in the story, including kindnesses given and returned. I appreciated the multigenerational aspect and ...more
babyhippoface
Sep 27, 2012 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Oh, I liked this one a lot. Maybe it's because I have three sisters.

The three Lemon sisters are getting old. They cannot travel to see each other as they once did. So when the oldest of the sisters watches her neighbors, three young sisters, out the window playing in the snow, she is filled with nostalgic feelings. The remind her of times spent playing with her sisters, making lemon ice treats from the snow.

She misses her sisters. She misses the days they spent together. But a very pleasant su
Rosa Cline
Feb 18, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, birthday, winter
This story isn't your typical little kid storybook. It's main character is an elderly lady reminiscing about her childhood as she watches three little girls out her window play. As she watches and listens to them it reminds her of her two sisters and how they would play as children. She makes friends with them and they soon learn it's her birthday and the ending is a special one for them all. Special for the reader too. Very heartwarming for 'older' readers that maybe reading it to their young ...more
Christine Turner
Dec 18, 2013 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
On her 80th birthday, a woman watches three young sisters play outside in the snow, remembers good times with her own sisters, and receives several birthday surprises. Includes a simple recipe for making lemon ice with snow.

Subjects

Sisters -- Juvenile fiction

Birthdays -- Juvenile fiction

Old age -- Juvenile fiction.

Neighbors -- Juvenile fiction.

Snow -- Juvenile fiction

This book is a good choice for an older child who is able to sit through a longer book.
Karen
Nov 06, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story of an elderly lady watching 3 girls play in the snow. It is her 80th birthday and she remembers fun times in the snow with her 2 sisters when they were young. She kindly teaches the girls how to make "lemon ice" and is rewarded with several surprises. Good example of showing kindness and respect for the elderly. I'm not sure if younger grades will relate to the elderly main character, though.
Dolly
Nov 14, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a heartwarming tale of an old woman who shares one of her favorite winter activities with some young girls in her neighborhood. I love that the old woman is the main character of the story and we were all excited to try her lemon ice recipe, although we don't always get a lot of snow where we live.

Overall, we really enjoyed reading this book together. The narrative is very entertaining and the illustrations are colorful and nicely detailed and they complement the story nicely.
Marianna
Aug 25, 2010 Marianna rated it it was amazing
On her 80th birthday the oldest of the Lemon sisters is missing her sisters, Rita and Mae. She finds joy in watching three little sisters play in the snow. Little does she know she is in for a big surprise.
Deb
Sep 06, 2011 Deb rated it it was ok
Having a hard time figuring out the audience for this book. To me an 80 year old as the storyteller doesn't really work for a kids picture book, it feels more for adults. Liked the illustrations and the idea of groups of 3 sisters now and long time ago enjoying the same simple treat of lemon ice.
Anna
Aug 19, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to like this book. While reading it seemed to sneak up on me and make me cry. A sweet story :)
Lucia
Jan 14, 2009 Lucia rated it really liked it
Very timely that I happened upon this book at another branch yesterday, as my two sisters are coming to visit in a few days. Perhaps I'll make Lemon icies (with a hint of Lynchberg infused) for us.
Mil
Dec 27, 2012 Mil rated it really liked it
Nostalgic. Liked it, but not sure how strong for children. Focus was more on the old lady’s story of her youth and her sisters, instead of the little girls in the snow.
Dee
May 07, 2010 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
You're never too old to have fun. My mom is turning eighty in a few weeks and I could see her do this and act this way. I loved the illustrations, very soft.
Randi
Jun 11, 2008 Randi rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, especially for sisters, old and young. The illustrations and story are wonderful.
Hero
Hero rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Dubravka
Dubravka rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Shannon7682
Shannon7682 rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Alenna
Alenna rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Devony
Devony rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2007
Ron Antonucci
Ron Antonucci rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Henry
Henry rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2011
Hillvan
Sep 26, 2015 Hillvan added it
Shelves: ok-2015-2-fall
AD560L
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Jason Gusman
Jason Gusman rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2011
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Bethany Livengood
Bethany Livengood rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Shira
Shira rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2008
Kevin
Jan 31, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Loved the story and the illustrations! Great book to share with your sisters.
Asby Kids
Asby Kids rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
197573
Andrea Cheng is a Hungarian-American children's author and illustrator. The child of Hungarian immigrants, she was raised in Cincinnati, Ohio in an extended family with three generations under one roof. Her family spoke Hungarian and English at home. After graduating with a BA in English from Cornell University, she went to Switzerland, where she apprenticed to a bookbinder, attended a school of ...more
More about Andrea Cheng...