Start by marking “The Babe & I” as Want to Read:
The Babe & I

The Babe & I

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  42 reviews
It's 1932 and hard times are everywhere. But life isn't all bad. America still loves baseball, and Babe Ruth is the star of the game. And two boys are about to discover that with some creativity, hard work, and a little help from the Babe himself, they can do their part to help out their own team!
Published March 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Babe & I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Babe & I

The Book Maven
It’s not often I read a picture book that gives me goosebumps, but boy howdy, this was one of those times! The Babe and I, if you will pardon the pun, just hit the spot with me. Slightly abstracted illustrations accompany the text of this frankly, rather poignant picture book about a young boy whose birthday in 1932 falls in the midst of the Great Depression. He’s disappointed with his gift (a dime, and not a bicycle), but he knows his dad is lucky to have a job.

He and his friend Jacob go off on
A_Olga
The Babe and I takes place during The Great Depression in American History. It is a heartfelt story about the hardships families faced during that time period and how they pulled together.
This picture book can be used in first through fourth grade. It is appropriate for teaching students about job loss, baseball, The Great Depression, and working hard. It can also be used to compare and contrast American history then and now. And of course, to learn about Babe Ruth!
The pictures are beautifully
Taylor Ray
Summary: This book was about a boy who realized that his dad didn’t have a very supportable or real job. One day when he was with his friend, he saw his dad selling apples on the street and no one was buying them. So he and his friend Jacob decided to sell newspapers. They shouted about Babe Ruth hitting a home run, being out of the game for 3 weeks, etc. People bought them and sure enough, one day Babe Ruth himself bought one. They had collected enough money to go to the game and see him play ...more
Courtney Dyer
The Babe and I is a nostalgic tale set during the Depression era in the Bronx of New York when everyone was poor. Jobs were scarce and money was hard to come by, but at least there was still baseball. In this book, Adler pitches us a heartwarming story about a boy who learns the importance of teamwork when he finds out that his father is secretly unemployed and becomes a newsie who sells papers at Yankee Stadium to help earn money for his family.

The illustrations were created by Terry Widener w
Lisa Carroll
This book was a very pleasant surprise. I think it was intended to be a historical fiction book for younger children, but I feel it is most appropriate for children in grades 2nd-5th grade. This book touches on the issues that many families went through during the time of the Great Depression. This actually was a beautifully told story of hard work, family and resilience told through the eyes of a young boy. The story brought tears to my eyes. My son who is five didn't quite understand the Depre ...more
Kaleb Shively
This was a good book to use for children in grades two through four. It depicts what life was like during the "Great Depression" and how one family made it through this unruly time. The main character of this story helps out his family by selling newspapers in the Bronx. Instead of using the front page headlines he uses the sports section which features Babe Ruth. This attracts many people and they buy his newspapers. This little business helps bring his family some extra money in this time of n ...more
Josh Wagner
This book is great story that sheds light on the hardships many faced during the Great Depression, but still has a very positive message. The story is about a young boy during the depression, and several of his experiences. First, it is his birthday, and he receives a dime from his father, who he says is one of the lucky ones because he still has a job. Later, while outside playing with a friend, he buys 2 apples from an unemployed man selling them on the street with his dime. As they continue t ...more
Teeny
Summary: The Babe and I is a children’s book about a young boy, who is helping his family make ends meet during the Great Depression by selling newspapers. The boy was successful in selling the newspapers by stressing to the city’s people that the newpaper he was selling contained articles that focused on Babe Ruth, who was part of the 1932 Yankees and grew to become the greatest baseball player of all time. During one of his typical workdays, he sold a newspaper to Babe Ruth himself and spends ...more
Yael
This book was written in the perspective of a little boy who realizes that his father had lost his job in the depression. The boy does what he can to help add money to the families money jar. Not only is it a nice story about responsibility, but it is a great book to help current students understand a little more about what the depression era was like in the United States. The illustrations take a slight cartoon view of an urban New York area, but all the while show historicl detail like older c ...more
Lana Hoffman
"By helping his family make ends meat during the Great depression by selling newspapers, a boy meets Babe Ruth."

I really enjoyed this story about a boy who helped his family during a difficult time in history. The author did a wonderful job of explaining the living conditions of that time through the eyes of a young boy. The illustrations clearly showed the emotions of the characters and brought them to life. It also touched me when I saw all of the apple stands and how many people had lost thei
Adriana Mendoza
A young boy discovers that his dad is jobless and is selling apples to help support the family. Knowing and keeping his Dad’s secret he decides to help out the family by becoming a “newsie”. The story is set during the time of the Great Depression. Luckily, the young boy’s friend Jacob knows that they can sell more papers in front of Yankee Stadium and they venture out every day and use the latest news of the Babe to sell papers. The boy’s good intentions are rewarded at the end of the story. Re ...more
Cherina
Summary: A young boy finds out that his father is unemployed during the Great Depression. In order to help out, the boy begins to sell newspapers at Yankee Stadium by announcing Babe Ruth's headlines. One day, while he is selling papers, the boy sold a newspaper to the Babe himself for five dollars. The boy realizes that Babe Ruth and he are on a team to sell papers while the boy and his dad are on a team to support their family.

Uses: read-aloud in the primary grades, independent reading for ea
Garrett Ellis
Historical children's books are one of my favorite genres. It is hard to find historically accurate/good children's books. This is one of them. This book could be used to introduce the Great depression to younger students. I will definitely be purchasing this book for my classroom library.
Lisa
While helping his family make ends meet by selling newspapers during the Great Depression , a boy meets Babe Ruth.

Lower Grades K-3

Topic - Subtopic: Award Winners-Golden Kite Award/Honor Book; Award Winners-State Award; Award Winners-Smithsonian's Notable Book; Award Winners-ABA Kids' Pick of the Lists; Award Winners-Jefferson Cup Award/Honor; Community Life-Money; Family Life-Fathers; Family Life-Job Loss; Family Life-Money Crisis; Family Life-Sons; History-Depression Era America; Recommended Re
Ms Threlkeld
This book tackles some pretty grownup issues, like unemployment and how poverty affects families, but it also includes information about Babe Ruth and his legacy.
Jessica Minnoia
This is a historical picture book that takes place during the era of the Great Depression. A boy realizes his dad is out of typical work so he sells newspapers with a friend to help make ends meet. This is the time period in which Babe Ruth is excelling in baseball and by him doing well, it helps the boy sell more newspapers.
I would use this book as a read-aloud to a 2-5th grade class perhaps as an introduction to the time period of the Great Depression. This book is great because it encorpora
Amie Sergio
Loved this book!Children who love baseball, the Yankees, or Babe Ruth will definately enjoy this story. Story takes place during the Great Depression where jobs are to find and money is hard to come by. Two boys sell newspapers to help their families and call out headlines related to Babe Ruth. The boys do very well selling newspapers because people are interested in Babe Ruth and his success. One day the boys have a special customer that will make their day unforgettable. Colorful illustrations ...more
Michelle Marcano
This is a story about a boy and his family who live in Bronx New York during the great depression. This book depicts the hardships of the great depression and the families that lived through it. The boy decides he wants to help his family out so he starts selling newspapers outside the Yankee Stadium. During this time he meets Babe Ruth without even realizing it until after he'd walked away! This is a positive book about a negative time in our history. This is a great book for teaching about the ...more
Kalynda
See my post about "The Gardener" by Sarah Stewart
Brian Cave
This is one of the better picture books in which I have read. It has a couple of themes in which I think would be good for the classroom. It would give the students some insight about the great depression, and one of the most historical people in baseball history. It shows how younger children would sell the newspaper on the corner, and how baseball is an American pastime. A nice book in which it displays one of the most troubling times in American history.
Amanda Andrews
This is a story about a boy living during the Great Depression. He and his friend start selling news papers to help their families out. One day Babe Ruth buys a paper for much more than they are selling them for. The boys earn enough money to go to a game and watch him play! This book would be great to use when teaching about the Great Depression. It gives students an insight to what life could have been like for someone their age.
Jenny
May 30, 2008 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2nd - 3rd graders
This story takes place during the great depression of 1932. It focuses on a young boy and how he secretly earns extra money to help out his family. One day he comes on a magnificent sale of one of the newspapers he is selling to a very famous baseball player.It is because of that player that he is able to make such great sales!!
I really liked this story.It's a feel good story at the end.
This historical fiction picture book captures the spirit of the great depression, and how excitement over baseball could take one's mind off of more dire things, and how even children could help their families. The babe only makes a token appearence, much how many celebrities feature in our daily lives, more influencial in their absence.
Dorian
This is a great book for teaching the Great Depression. I'm using it in my lesson plan on the Great Depression. Unfortunately, it's for Kindergarten so I'm "reading" the book based on the pictures so that they can understand it, but it's such a good book for this topic that I can't imagine doing it without this book.
Eugene
I think this book is a very great picture book. It's sort of sad that they are very poor and that the dad has to lie to his family that he has a job but he is just an apple seller. Once the main character knows that his father was lying, a did something, I can't tell you that,because It's a top secret.
Sweet first-person story of a Bronx boy who becomes a newsie to help his family weather the Great Depression. As a bonus, the lively illustrations have a touch of New Deal art about them!
Krista
I like how this book portrays how life was during the Great Depression for some families. It has a nice message of helping out and working hard built within it also that i think is great. The illustrations are clear and colorful for readers to enjoy as they flip through the pages.
The Bronx during the Great Depression: a young boy learns to sell newspapers to help fill his family's money jar by shouting out headlines about Babe Ruth. Not just for baseball fans, this would be a good way to talk about historical fiction and how setting and plot are linked.
Lorna
Charming story about one young boy during the Depression as he struggles to reconcile how his father hides losing his job. Told against the backdrop of a baseball loving era. I loved the illustrations, which on some pages had a Hopper-esque feel to them.
Breana Vining
This book exemplifies what it was like living during the Great Depression. Times were hard and the family needed to make money. The little boys encounter Babe Ruth and are able to make more money selling newspapers. This is a great story for young readers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • Gleam and Glow
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • Charlie Anderson
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • January's Sparrow
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • The Pain and the Great One
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...
The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1) The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3) The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2) The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4) The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14)