Start by marking “The Third Wave: The Classic Study of Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
The Third Wave: The Classic Study of Tomorrow

The Third Wave: The Classic Study of Tomorrow

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,374 ratings  ·  85 reviews
"The Third Wave" makes startling sense of the violent changes now battering our world. Its sweeping synthesis casts fresh light on our new forms of marriage and family, on today's dramatic changes in business and economics. It explains the role of cults, the new definitions of work, play, love, and success. It points toward new forms of twenty-first-century democracy.
Published May 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Wave

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
buku yg sangat mengejutkan... dibuat pada tahun 1980-an jelas, belum datang masanya email, komputer, internet, handphone, ipod, dan ledakan penemuan lainnya yang telah mengubah wajah peradaban. tapi, bak seorang cenayang (Mama Lorentz kalah telak!!) Alvin Toffler, dg jeniusnya meramalkan bagaimana rupa peradaban manusia di masa depan (baca : coz buku ini meramalkan masa depannya puluhan tahun kedepan sesudah buku ini dibuat, artinya masa sekarang)

Well, mirip-mirip bukunya Naisbitt ato Hutingtont...more
Nitin
The first wave (Agrarian Society) lasted for thousands of years; the second wave (Industrial society) lasted for close to 300 years and now the third wave("information society")- started in 1960s in U.S.- has more or less spread across the whole globe. Even though the book is written in 1980s, most part of it is still valid today. What i really liked about it is how the author tries to interconnect seemingly unrelated events in different fields like tech, sociology, politics, environment & e...more
Jeffrey
Again, a book written some time ago (24 years), so how does it stand up?

In one section, Toffler speaks of how the customer "will become so integrated into the production process that we find it . . . difficult to tell . . . who is the producer." So many Internet niche marketers (today’s most popular and fastest growing business model) would read this and agree. It's fascinating to see such precision in understanding a device some 20 years ago that itself is only 10 years old. Today’s customer I...more
ArEzO.... Es
موج سوم نوشته الوين تافلر هميشه داراي بالاترين چاپ بوده است
بين كتابهاي مديريت صنعتي بهترين رتبه كتاب را داراست
نويسنده اش با شوك آينده شهرت يافت و موج سوم هم ثابت كرد كه او مديري بي همتاست و مي تواند باشد
موج سوم بر اين مفهوم بنا شده است كه تاريخ بشر دو انقلاب را پشت سر گذاشته است انقلاب كشاورزي و انقلاب صنعتي و اكنون در آستانه سومين آن يعني انقلاب الكترونيك است وبحران جهان كنوني نا شي از اين انتقال پر تنش است
در فصل هفدهم خانواده هاي آينده را به خوبي ترسيم كرده است
و در فصل بيست و سوم بحث جالب گا...more
khashayar XerXes
1970...future shock
smthing is gonna change,it will change in the fastest way it could!
here he discuss the effect that the rate may cause,& leave
the tehem of the "change" 4 his next book to discuss!

1980...third wave
he define us the chaneg we r facing or going to face in future decades in details

1990...power shift
this change "third wave" will affect the basics of distribution of the meaning of the "power" in society!
Ravindra Dewan
Aug 25, 2010 Ravindra Dewan added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Ravindra by: None
I read this book in 1983 just by accident and it is THE greatest book that I have ever read. How close was Toffler in understanding history in such a grand sweep.
Katsumi
Diocletian
In The Third Wave, Alvin Toffler splits human development into three stages: the agricultural period, or First Wave; the industrial period, or Second Wave; and the post-industrial period, or Third Wave. This book mainly focuses on the latter two, comparing and contrasting the two stages. Toffler believes that moving into the Third Wave is the cause of many of the political and economic problems that we see today, a growing pain of sorts. According to Toffler's picture of this newest stage of hu...more
Sdhall0824
Read many years ago. Interesting as he describes how life, culture, economy, politics--everything changes as these "waves" of progress occur. We are currently in the Third Wave--going from an industrial economy to a technical/computerized wave. He states that the change-over years are always tumultuous because you have a faction of individuals not prepared/educated to move forward. We can see where industrial cities like Detroit are having difficulties and unemployment because either these compa...more
Nicole
Although it was published in 1980 before home computers, e-mail, and the internet, Mr. Toffler helps make sense of the transitions we faced moving from the First Wave (Agricultural Age) to the Second Wave (Industrial Age) and now as we move into the Third Wave (Information Age). He covers topics as broad as technology, politics and gender roles and how each of these is impacted by the Third Wave.

There are entire chapters that I disagree with, such as reasons given for the disintegration of the...more
Faisal
I read this book as part of my course at university, suffice it to say usually anything assigned to you for reading is a bore and usually you end up disliking it.

The more I read this book the more it intrigued me, I loved the clarity of vision with which trends in technology, society and human development were charted out.

Unfortunately after 10years that's all I remember looks like I will have to re read this one to refresh my memory.
Brad Acker
3 salient waves of major change have greatly transformed civilization: (1) farming (began with invention of agriculture) , (2) factories (the industrial revolution), (3) our electronic information age (characterized by each individual using a personal computer to extend creativity and enhance happiness). As we move from one major wave to another, upheaval can occur.
Andre
I've never read a book as many times as I've read this one. Alvin Toffler has done a good job in predicting the trends over the last 30 years.

I'm exciting to see the breakthroughs that they predicted in the genetics industry in the coming years.
Crystal
Another read for those who are interested in the economy. I've read it about three times now (one for every wave... hardy-har-har!) and it never ceases to amaze me how on-point Alvin is with his predictions based off of past economic trends.
Morteza Samadian
از نگاه تافلر سه موج به ساحل زندگی بشر برخورد کرده. هر موج بر سر موج قبلی کوبیده میشه و همه پارادایم ها و اصول قبلی رو به هم میریزه
کتاب ارزشمندیه و خوندنش یه باید
Neil
Toffler, writing in 1980, claims that there is an underlying order to the apparent breakdown of order in all parts of modern life, and proceeds to try and describe it in historical terms.

Toffler claims that there are clear points in the history of human civilisation where an entirely new type of civilisation emerged. These changes aren't sudden, but they are profound and fundamentally alter every aspect of human existence once they have been fully realised. Toffler uses the metaphor of a "wave"...more
Ciudadana Herzeleid
A pesar de haber pasado más de treinta años, muchos de los caminos que Toffler trazó siguen presentes ¿qué es lo que sucederá con las nuevas políticas?¿cómo será la nueva sociedad?¿esperamos nuevas formas de convivir entre los seres humanos? Una era está cayendo, pero transformándose para bien, y a pesar de que este cambio, Toffler lo vino a ubicar desde los ochenta, y se ha ido modificando conforme pasa el tiempo, muchas de sus ideas y sus propuestas todavía quedan pendientes. Pese a esto, el l...more
Joe Weathers
While providing quite a number of incredibly insightful thoughts on the future of technology, business and industrialism, the entire book is permeated with a distain for the past. Because civilization is moving into this "Third Wave", Toffler says that not only do we need to create new business and technology systems, but also new and "more imaginative" options to the traditional nuclear family; to make normal many "alternative" sexual lifestyles to the traditional married hetero-sexual couple;...more
Sage
The description of the first and second waves were redundant. Didn't quite like the organization in my edition (pages of the subtopics weren't indicated). But from The New Synthesis the flow became engaging. As someone who was born in the 90's, the psychological effects of the second-to-third-wave shift meant a lot personally. It explained common struggles.

Also, I quite enjoyed the book for its age. The 34-year seniority added effect to Toffler's accurate predictions.
Hong
Summary:
By examining the latest technological development, social problems, energy crisis and the rise of special minority groups, the author proposes that our civilization is undergoing a phase change - he calls it "the third wave", following the agricultural revolution (1st wave) and industrial revolution (2nd wave).

The authors calls for political reform so as to achieve painless transition into third wave civilization.

What I like: I find good ideas in this book. They are views that allow me...more
Duane
This is one of the books behind many of the changes in business, education, and politics. If you read it, Toffler's ideas will change your life. It will change how you watch YouTube videos, how you interact on Do-It-Yourself websites like Instructables and Pinterest. By the time the Revolution is televised, it will have already happened; it is happening now...broadcasting over IP addresses or URLs.
Acturi
I have something of a soft spot for out-of-date futurology, and this book scratches that itch nicely.

If you ignore the dates, its not terribly bad at prediction. A lot of things that he thought were coming in the 80s with interactive television and fax machines didn't happen until the internet, but overall he didn't do a terrible job.

It is also, however, a fabulous example of things that people have been predicting for 60 years that are still being predicted today. There's a number of predictio...more
Martin Hernandez
Este libro es una explicación económica de la historia de la humanidad, a través de sucesivas olas tecnológicas que han disparado el avance (o evolución) de la sociedad. Una vez descritas las dos primeras "olas", el autor se basa en lo sucedido antes para describir la configuración que tomará el mundo una vez superada la era industrial, lo que significa la superación de las ideologías, modelos de gobierno, economía, comunicaciones y sociedades estructuradas alrededor de la producción centralizad...more
William
In Third Wave, Toffler describes the major shifts facing the world since the 1970s. It's amazing that this book reads almost as if it were written in 2010 rather than 1980! Some reviews here frame this book as predictive. I read it more as a definition of paradigms, and as outlining a context in which to frame the world around us. Some political players may have changed, and certainly technology has changed, but the context of Toffler's "third wave" in the economic sociopolitical sense is as sou...more
Alexander Temerev
I do not agree with most of the explanations in this book. Mr. Toffler himself at one point confesses that he doesn't know why Third Wave phenomena are happening, and when he does offer an explanation, it is overly materialistic and occasionally just plainly Marxist.

However, the book is absolutely brilliant. It is astonishing that it has been written in 1980; it could be written today and become a bestseller. Many things predicted there already happened (communication revolution, breakup of nucl...more
Ryan Holiday
In the first wave, power came from violence or force. In the second, the Industrial Revolution, power came from wealth. Today, it comes from knowledge. The battle for the future is going to be over information. Unfortunately, the book takes 500 pages to say that.

Toffler's other books are stronger and if short on time, can be read in exchange for The Third Wave. However Alvin does write a particularly touching foreword about his wife who has been his long time writing partner.
Христо Блажев
Светът на миналото, настоящето и бъдещето – “Третата вълна” на Алвин Тофлър

Интересно е да се чете книга, издадена през 1980 г. и посветена до голяма степен на нашето съвремие. “Третата вълна” на Алвин Тофлър е от онези основополагащи трудове, които се цитират навсякъде, но трябва да бъдат прочетени. И доста сериозно смлени, защото сред страниците има много, много съкровища на мисълта.
Prince Campbell
May 23, 2008 Prince Campbell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to understand why things are as they are.
I read this book about 15 years after it was written. It was written in 1980.

It completely changed my life.

The ideas on how the the world really works stayed with me for life. Instead of just explaining what was going to happen in the future, Toffler also told you why.

I can't tell you to read it now. It will seem obvious. But back then, before the internet, long tail, the rise of the individual,terrorism, etc. the book was eye-opening.
Jeff
Jul 25, 2007 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who appreciate History and Philosophy
A remarkable work for its time and it still stands out as a brilliant piece of writing today. Toffler was called a "futurist" and his portrait of our time was unerringly accurate and to the point. Understanding history gives you the slimmest change to escape the inevitable mistakes that those who do not understand it so often make (rephrasing of the old adage).

The PLOW. THE PLOW! FOLLOW THE PLOW!
Tulio Suarez
Tulio Suarez marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Megatrends: Ten New Directions Transforming Our Lives
  • The Cultural Contradictions of Capitalism
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • The Rise of the Network Society: The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture, Volume I
  • The Sociology of Religion
  • Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology
  • Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, a New Urban World
  • Comments on the Society of the Spectacle
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • جامعه‌شناسی نخبه‌کشی
  • The Third Way: The Renewal of Social Democracy
  • What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry
is an American writer and futurist, known for his works discussing the digital revolution, communications revolution, corporate revolution and technological singularity. A former associate editor of Fortune magazine, his early work focused on technology and its impact (through effects like information overload.

Accenture, the management consultancy, has dubbed him the third most influential voice a...more
More about Alvin Toffler...
Future Shock Powershift: Knowledge, Wealth, and Power at the Edge of the 21st Century Revolutionary Wealth War and Anti-War: Making Sense of Today's Global Chaos Creating a New Civilization