Start by marking “Man of Stone” as Want to Read:
Man of Stone

Man of Stone

Could she ever prove her innocence?

After her father's death, Sara Rodney thought she'd finally be safe at her grandmother's country home outside London. That was before she was forced to marry Luke Gallagher, almost a total stranger.

Cressy, Sara's selfish stepsister, had filled Luke's head with lies, and now he believed Sara to be a despicable fortune hunter. There was no

Paperback, Harlequin Presents #1163, 189 pages
Published April 1989 by Harlequin Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Man of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man of Stone

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Another old favorite HP of mine. Okay, maybe the heroine is a bit doormat-y, but it's still really good. Luke thinks Sara is no good and is trying to manipulate the old lady that turns out to be a long-lost relative of hers, and is also his great-aunt. Sara is probably one of the nicest people on earth, however. The great-aunt convinces Sara and her young brother to live with her, and of course, Luke moves in to keep an eye on things. He treats Sara contemptuously because of his bad experiences ...more
StMargarets
Oh, this was a good one. Sara, our heroine, is a downtrodden Cinderella, who through the machinations of her evil stepsister finds herself on the doorstep of her wealthy grandmother. Within the first two minutes of meeting the grandmother, evil stepsister makes sure that widower cousin-in-law, Luke, knows Sara is a gold-digger. Throw in an asthmatic half-brother, a heart condition for grandma, and a weird need to not explain herself and you have all the makings of an HP romance where the hero sh ...more
Leona
Nov 05, 2012 Leona rated it it was ok
Shelves: hqn-presents
meh....Definitely filled with the requisite angst and tension, but I just am so tired of:

1) Brilliantly intelligent heroes that become stupid overnight because they allow OW to feed them absolute bullsh#$% that no one else in their right mind would ever believe, including a 10 year old.

2) Heroines who do stupid things like showing up in a man's bedroom at 1am in the morning, dead tired and half dressed, and are surprised to find themselves in a compromising situation. Really?

3) Heroines that all
Kay
Aug 17, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Claire
Jul 18, 2011 Claire rated it did not like it
This book seems split into two timelines: prenuptial and postnuptial. For me, the after-marriage plot is tolerable but it can’t make up the awful first part.

In this story we have 1) a hero Luke who believed in witchcraft, and 2) a heroine Sara who belonged in the invertebrate species. They really shouldn't have rubbed each other the wrong way when they first met because he might be of stone but she's of water anyway.

What annoys me about our hero is that, in less than an hour’s company with Sar
sbf20112011
Nov 07, 2012 sbf20112011 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. This was a great old-school read. Enjoyable plot set-up, smitten hero, martyred heroine -- all good fun! One big unresolved issue -- why on earth did the hero call out his dead wife's name while having sex with the heroine??? Whatever, I just pretended that didn't happen since it in no way jived with the history and was never explained. So, if you like older HPs (particularly Penny Jordans), then you'll probably like this one too.
Amanda Sheila
The basic plot is pretty much my favorite, because I always enjoyed this kind of plot, you know, misunderstanding Hero who treats the heroine badly and stuff like that? Yes. I loved it.

But the writing is just.. Sucks. I'm so sorry. I was hoping for more redemption, but I got nothing. I ended up angry and I don't like it. Could be so much better than this.

Overall, not my favorite.
Jacqueline
Jul 16, 2013 Jacqueline rated it it was ok
Just okay. This was an ordinary old HP with nothing particularly outstanding.
boogenhagen
Melanie♥
Sep 14, 2009 Melanie♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper
Great HP! Just wish there had been consequences for the evil step-sister, Cressy.
Tee
Apr 19, 2010 Tee added it
My "bestest" paperback romance ever.
Jenny
Apr 21, 2013 Jenny rated it it was ok
The heroine was a sweetheart but I needed more Luke. Kind of slow and boring book.
EmMa
Jan 12, 2017 EmMa rated it it was amazing
Well! This sweet tasty story of love proves my thought that men are big children who always need the affection ,comfort ,love and sweetness that lovely women like Sara can give.
But of course it appears that Sara is the best and the one for her man of stone, Luke who showed that he wasn't made of stone at the end. ;)
Uxia
Apr 18, 2014 Uxia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I only started to read HP books recently, I'm a great manga fan and was attracted to this gender because of some mangas based in these novels. But I have to admit I'm absolutely shocked of what these female authors picture as the "Female Paradigm"

First of all the vignity issue. REALLY! Are we living on XXI century or in the Medieval Ages¿??¿?. Perhaps these women have read to much fairy tales when they were children and now want to turn back time to an era when women were almost sold, had no r
Grace Harwood
Jul 13, 2015 Grace Harwood rated it it was amazing
Sara is the ordinary ugly duckling in a family of stars of stage and screen, but when her parents are wiped out in a very Jordanesque tragic accident, she’s left with the responsibility of looking after her younger brother whilst her older glamorous sister (Cressida “Cressy”) heads off to be in an American soap opera. Just before she goes Cressy engineers it for Sara and her brother to move in with her elderly rich Grandmother in her Chester country house. Yes, before we even reach the end of Ch ...more
Giovanni
Jan 29, 2014 Giovanni rated it liked it
FeliciaKaren
FeliciaKaren rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Fms
Fms rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Neenu
Neenu rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2017
Taylijane
Taylijane rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Tiff91
Tiff91 rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Atomowka22
Atomowka22 rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2012
Arabellavidal
Arabellavidal rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2013
Dag
Dag rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Katya_Mee
Katya_Mee rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Joanna Sz
Joanna Sz rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2013
  • Silence Speaks for Love
  • The Loving Trap
  • Intangible Dream
  • Saved from Sin
  • Terms of Possession (Romance)
  • Captive Loving
  • The Dark Side of Desire
AKA Caroline Courtney, Annie Groves, Penny Halsall, Lydia Hitchcock, Penny Jordan, and Melinda Wright.
More about Frances Roding...