Start by marking “Dreamhouse” as Want to Read:
Dreamhouse

Dreamhouse

Celia Small has spent years planning her engagement party, from the food she'll serve to the dress she'll wear. When she finally met her fiance, it was less a romantic event than a satisfying check mark next to the last item on a long list of tasks. Now Celia's big night has arrived, and nothing can stop her from fulfilling a lifetime's worth of dreams. Nothing, that is, e ...more
Published January 15th 1997 by Picador (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamhouse

Nafiza
Apr 19, 2010 Nafiza rated it it was amazing
If you are lucky, you will come across scrumptious books like Dreamhouse at least once in your lifetime. A loose (adult) retelling of Alice in Wonderland, Habens, in a stroke of pure genius, reinvents all the characters in Alice in Wonderland giving them a distinctly human hue that retains all the craziness that characterizes the denizens of Wonderland. Dreamhouse is a treat for the evil little girl in you who loves irreverent situations, who delights in crazy retellings and who simply loves a s ...more
Neula
Nov 13, 2012 Neula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 20 year old self is giving this book 5 stars.

My 37 year old is re-reading it for the first time in ten years to see if it's as good as my 20 year old self says it is.

The tale is this: Celia Small has dreamed of a white wedding since her first pink crayon drawing of a bridesmaids dress, and tonight her dream is finally coming true - she's hosting the engagement dinner of her dreams. But unbeknownst to Celia two of her hated house-mates are having parties on the same night, and when Celia acc
Pamela
Jul 11, 2015 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: give-aways
Received free copy from goodreads First Reads. Lauded as a modern day Alice In Wonderland. Protagonist is a young woman who has been planning her engagement since she was in diapers (or almost). She shares a flat with a menagerie of characters that create havoc for her much anticipated engagement celebration. Although there are clever word word play, the plot is slow and wanders. Wished I had stopped after the 2nd chapter.
Crystal
Aug 12, 2015 Crystal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
Received as a Goodreads First Read. I had a hard time staying engaged with the story. It's supposed to be an alternative version of Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland," and while I could see some similarities, I didn't find it as interesting. Since it is advertised as such, I found myself trying to find the similarities and getting caught up in the differences, rather than fully immersing myself in the story. Ultimately, it was a struggle to read.
Pam Mooney
May 11, 2015 Pam Mooney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smart, clever, and entertaining. This is the kind of book I like on the beach - just relax and enjoy the ride. I loved the Alice in Wonderland parallel that brought me back to my youth. A good read.
Diane
Sep 09, 2011 Diane rated it it was ok
This sounded like a very fun book from the jacket covers description but it fell very short of my expectations.
Brian Williams
Dec 26, 2008 Brian Williams rated it really liked it
Read this a long time ago; smart, funny, contemporary Alice in Wonderland tale...really liked it, but lost the book. Need to get it.
Anna
Apr 23, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing
Alice in Wonderland, on drugs.
Laureen
Nov 23, 2011 Laureen rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tale-like
huh? this book was so trippy! I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I still don't know what went on and how it ended... will have to talk to my boss about this one!
Tim Gaskill
Dec 13, 2010 Tim Gaskill rated it it was ok
Clever wordplay, but ultimately a slight book with some amusing moments. For Alice in Wonderland fans possibly.
Lucy
Dec 15, 2007 Lucy rated it liked it
Strange book. Compared on its jacket to Lewis Carroll and characters from that book are in her book. It does have a surreal quality but not in a different world like Wonderland.
Lisa
Jul 13, 2015 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've been trying to remember what this book was for YEARS.

I read this when I was 13 or so. I remember it being weird as hell, and I'm not sure I ever finished it.
CJ
CJ rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
El
El rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
Sally Hare
Sally Hare rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Breanne
Breanne rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2008
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Patty
Patty rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2009
elizabeth
elizabeth rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2008
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2009
Maeve
Maeve rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Sarah Hinton
Sarah Hinton rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2010
Nawfal
Nawfal rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2010
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2008
Amanda Garrie
Amanda Garrie rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Julie Ehlers
Julie Ehlers rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Complete Novels: Voyage in the Dark / Quartet / After Leaving Mr Mackenzie / Good Morning, Midnight / Wide Sargasso Sea
  • John Dollar
  • Twirty-Something: A Young Woman's Guide to Giant Underwear
  • Ninepins
  • Flora's Fury (Flora Trilogy, #3)
  • Steaming
  • Zoo
  • أنوبيس
  • Going Gently
  • A Little Learning
  • I Used To Miss Him...But My Aim Is Improving: Not Your Ordinary Breakup Survival Guide
  • The Most Boring Book Ever Written
  • In the Meantime
Alison Habens is best known for Dreamhouse, a 1990s cult novel with a feminist/psychedelic/literary buzz, based on Alice in Wonderland. The book has its own ‘coming of age’ alongside Lewis Carroll’s centenary this year; and there’ll be a giveaway of pristine first editions on Goodreads.
Alison has written pretty much every day since it was published, with two further novels, Lifestory and Family O
More about Alison Habens...