Start by marking “Biography of a Grizzly (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
Biography of a Grizzly (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)

Biography of a Grizzly (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Ernest Thompson Seton (1860-1946) was a Scots- Canadian (and naturalized U. S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and founding pioneer of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Biography of a Grizzly (Illustrated Edition), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biography of a Grizzly (Illustrated Edition)

I run in to grizzly bears on the trail sometimes while hiking in Glacier National Park. They always bound off in to the forest as they tend to be solitary creatures. Nevertheless these moments always leave me with a sense of wonder and appreciation for these terrifyingly beautiful creatures.

Having read 2 scientific books about grizzly bears and their habitat I was impressed with how accurate ETS's information in this story was. It was fun to be able to step in to the life of a grizzly, see what
I'm reading one of the early editions with the wonderful drawings and plates. A big thank you to my sister-in-law for sending me this find.
I listened to this as an audio book on my phone, and at the end found myself in tears because of it's poignancy. Biography of a Grizzly is a heartfelt and also heartbreaking tale of an orphaned cub who grows to learn the wilds of life on his own.

The book addresses the impact of man on nature and Wahb's life but finds a lot of strength in not portraying all men as evil. Only a 90 minute audio book, it is definitely worth the time!
This maybe describe the life of too many animals. At moments, it sounded like the biography of a human being with a wounded childhood.

Interesting, but not as catching as the story of the Springfield Fox or Billy the dog.
At some point in my early childhood - probably about 60 years ago -I discovered Earnest Thompson Seton. And of course, I also found Wahb the grizzly, raggylug the rabbit, the cutthroat trout and a host of others that inhabited a wilderness I never knew existed. What wonderful, thrilling stories. I vividly remember crying at the end of Wahb's story. I don't think I understood the power of great writing and storytelling until then. Writers like Seton made me an avid reader as a child, and I've nev ...more
Demian Katz
An peculiar book: a surprisingly sympathetic portrayal of an unusually murderous bear. A very quick read, illustrated with a curious mix of naturalistic images and more symbolic ones.
Amanda Norton
An excellent read...

Beautifully written, the author captures each moment in a way that you almost feel as though you're in the story. If a bear had the ability to write his story, in short, a legacy, this would surely be one that "bears" repeating. In part, this may not be for everyone, however, I found it to be a great story, and I highly recommend it.
Great read-aloud for nature-study. The kids were eager for me to keep reading. We learned a lot about grizzly bears!

Connie  Kuntz
Wahb (meaning White Bear) is an orphaned Grizzly Bear who learns to respect his fears, fight for peace, and trust the healing powers of a stinky hot-spring.

The story is aptly titled The Biography of a Grizzly because it is about the life of a Grizzly.

Seton writes with a folksy tone that enlightened my kids to the gore and war that Grizzly Bears endure. I thought it was fun to learn (through Wahb's story) about their life span, their diet, their ability to survive gunshots and bear-traps. I als
Is it a nature tale? Is it an elaborate morality fable? I suppose it is both.
Quick read into the mind and life of a grizzly. I can see why this author was so influential to Sir David Attenborough. A bit raw at times but a good read for kids.
Apr 02, 2011 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shawn and his boys, Jessi and anyone who loves nature stories.
Read this years ago and always liked this story and Lobo King of Currumpaw too. They are together in the hardcover. I'd recommend reading it to the boys Shawn. I think if they like nature, they'd like these stories. Biography of a Grizzly is about a bears life, from cub to old age, starts out with his Mother and 3 brothers and sisters being shot and Wahb being left alone.

Lobo is about a remarkable wolf pack that Lobo leads and their downfall. Probably said too much already but it won't take away
For those of you who know me....this is an old "Tayntor" book. It is the best book to read to kids. I LOVED this book when my dad read it to me. I've read it to my kids as well. Of course, it probably helps that we live among bears and have been to Yellowstone and the Tetons which are all referenced in the book. Our editions are from the early 1900s and the illustrations are fantastic. Not sure how they look in the modern paperbacks. Read it on your next camping trip!
This is the story of a big, old grizzly bear who roamed far and wide in his time and gained quite a reputation. It is told from the bear's perspective with a folksy, breezy attitude that keeps you riveted to all of his experiences, from being orphaned as a cub, through his years as king of the forest, to his inevitable final days. Written for children, it is over-flowing with amazing facts about bears.
This was one of the few books that my father recommended to me. It's a long time since I read it and my father has since departed which means that I may be letting sentiment determine my rating. Nevertheless, I have fond memories of this book and the well written but honest way it deals with the cycle of life. I recommend it.
This is a great book for young adults, I read it originally at age 6. A wonderful tale of life and wildlife from a bears perspective. This is one of the few books I still recommend to anyone of any age.
Jul 10, 2008 Willow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
My mom read this as a read aloud a long time ago and it was a great book. It's like it was written by a bear and he writes about what he does and everything. You learn a lot about grizzly bears too.
Bob Steen
Interesting perspective inside the head of a grizzly. If it didn't start with mama grizzly getting shot and end with protagonist grizzly dying, it would be a good one for the kids.
I really enjoyed reading this book and feel somehow connected to it. This book has a hold on a part of me and I'm not sure what it is. I now own two original editions of this book.
Oscar Wilde's fairytales bent this twig into a bleeding heart social worker. This book did the same, as regards the animal kingdom. Not a social worker, a rescuer of birds, etc.
I loved it so much, I would deffinately read it again. It just made me feel so fragile afterwards..
Steve Shilstone
Another story I ate up as a little guy. Neat biography told from the bear's viewpoint.
This was the first chapter book that my father ever read to me. It is truly incredible.
I wish kids were reading books such as this one instead of so much fantasy.
S Glenn Krochmal
Great children's book and I read it a 8 years of age.
Fun book to read with the kids.
Norman Cook
AKA King of the Grizzlies.
Pompeo Martelli
Pompeo Martelli marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
What's The Name o...: Bear book from its POV - pre-1990s - YA [s] 3 14 Feb 13, 2013 09:08PM
  • Lost in the Amazon: The True Story of Five Men and Their Desperate Battle for Survival
  • Night of the Grizzlies
  • Crawl
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 5
  • On This Day in Tudor History
  • A Crown of Feathers
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo ...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...