Start by marking “From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live By” as Want to Read:
From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live By

From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live By

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  74 reviews
We often hear that success requires pushing the boundaries, coloring outside the lines, stepping on toes, and breaking all the rules. But some rules are so critical they aren't meant to be broken. In this, her first book, perennially popular Good Morning America host Robin Roberts reveals the 7ules that she has always honored on her road to success. Illustrated with storie ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Kingswell (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about From the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Heart

Gloria Copeland
ELM 572 Biography of Robin Roberts

In Robin Roberts: “From The Heart, Seven Rules To Live By” Robin introduces herself as the co-anchor of Good Morning America and quotes on page ix “I don’t know how I got here either.” This was in 2005 and since then Robin has become an anchor along with George Stephanopoulos taken the morning show rating to number one. Robin was born November 23, 1960 in Tuskegee, Alabama. Robin writes several rules to live by in her book, which are all inspirational, but rule
Mloy
This was really a nice book to read, full of inspirational teachings from Ms. Roberts' grandmother and her parents. Also lot of truly useful and good advice about evaluating one's path in life-- an honest way assess your situation and a nice set of guidelines on how to change it if you need a new direction in life. I liked that Ms. Roberts was pretty candid and honest about this book not being a "how to" book on success but more like a collection of teachings from her family that has helped her ...more
Becky
This was a good audio book. It was short, sweet, and to the point. Robin Roberts seven rules to live by were common sensical and I enjoyed listening. I have never watched any of her shows nor seen any of her interviews, but I liked her very much as an author. I understand she has had cancer and is kicking it. I'm now one of her many cheerleaders and hope she lives a long healthy life that includes writing more books.
Sheri
I have always admired Robin Roberts and when I saw this book I picked it up as a fast-read for an overnight trip I was about to take. This book is a delightful look at Robin’s philosophy and what makes her the role model that she is today. Combined with her humor, warmth and honesty, Robin shares significant times of her life. She expresses the lessons she learned along the way through her stories of personal challenges and how she grew through them. I especially enjoyed the family stories and t ...more
Lain
Rule Number One: Get a Good Editor.

I don't know much about Robin Roberts, but I was taken by the summary on the back of the book. Because I'm a sucker for memoirs of people facing tough odds, I thought I'd love this book. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out of the first chapter. The book is haphazard, poorly written, and in dire need of a good editor.

Examples: the anecdotes make little or no sense, and don't seem to apply to the "rule" being presented. One thing that really got me was in the fir
Pat
I have always liked and admired Robin Roberts. I enjoyed reading some background on how she got to where she is today. The book is a quick read and she tells her story with warmth and without conceit. I hope she will write another one, more of a memoir, since so much has happened in her life since this one came out.
I read the newer version of the book in which she added an eighth rule to live by--"make your mess your message." She added this chapter after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was a great book with many inspirational life lessons. I was in tears through much of the book.
Dogsmom Laura
The book itself was very interesting but if you want to advance your studies of the meaning of life or how to get more from life, there are many better, more motivating books to read.
I am a huge Robin Roberts fan from GMA. I am not a sports fan, so did not know her entire sportsmedia history.

This is a great book for getting to know a television personality and her family.
Her stories are interesting and told in a pleasant fashion.
I read the updated version with eight rules.

Robin uses the format o
Rebecca
Robin Roberts is an amazing individual, and such an inspiration. Her "rules" are filled with good advice, but at the conclusion, she suggests that the reader make their own rules. In spite of the hardships and health issues she has endured, she is amazingly positive. I have always enjoyed watching her, but after reading her story I admire her even more...her courage, her faith, her family relationships, her insight, her talent... What a beautiful person (inside as well as out)!

Her writing style
Lynn Rueff
Robin Roberts is a sportscaster for ESPN. This was an inspirational book that was easy to read. I had not seen her on television but I am now more familiar with her work after the description in her book. Ms. Roberts was a standout high school basketball player, a college basketball star, later an ESPN host and co-anchor of Good Morning America. After being diagnosed with brest cancer she renamed her book "Eight Rules to Live By" adding that a person should be open for change and the unexpected. ...more
Lynn Cutting
Good, easy read. insightful and inspirational. I really admire robin Roberts and this was a good book with some good advice.
Jamie Hay
I loved this book. It made me laugh and it made me cry. I read it in 2 days, I could not put it down!!
Gina
A great and inspiring book!! Had great advice to live by. She is an amazing woman.
Barbara Venier
Great quick read. Felt like I could hear her talking to me!
Ann
WOW! What an amazing book! I am a big fan of Robin Roberts. She writes with such poise and class. I had a feeling this book was going to be inspirational. I just didn't realize I would feel like my best friend was happily guiding me with some great suggestions to live by. All of which seem to be quite easy to follow. Robin Roberts is one of those people I love inviting into my home each weekday morning on GMA. Robin is a force to be reckoned with. She will make you laugh and cry all at the same ...more
Coffeeboss
I adore Robin Roberts on Good Morning America, so I picked up this book as a fast read. She admits right off that it is basically the equivalent of inspirational speeches that she gives to college graduations and such, and that is indeed how it comes across. But it is nice, positive, warm advice, which is not surprising considering the source. It is also nice to get a peek into her own background as an athlete and stories of how she got into broadcasting.
Jean
I'm not a fan of celebrities wowing us peons with their words of wisdom that have been gleaned from lives of privilege. Roberts' book (which I listened to on CD) is bit better than the rest because she was able to break new ground and to make it as sports broadcaster in a field where women aren't always welcome. Calm, self assured but not egotistical, and interesting, Roberts did a good job of reading her own words and maintaining my interest.
Denise
I have wanted to read this book for a while now. It did not disappoint. A strong woman with a wonderful faith in all things.
Sara
Book is about Good Morning America's Robin Roberts and her fight to get what she wanted out of life. Rule number eight was recently added after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Good advice to given and awesome to hear that not everyone in the high positions we all dream of got there easily. Positive reinforcement to keep pushing ourselves to get where we truly want to be!
Chanel
This book was very inspirational. I work Monday - Friday during the hours of GMA and I didn't know a lot about Ms. Roberts before this book.

She provided some great rules for us to all live by and I really enjoyed the book!
Angela
Poignant, poised, and purposeful! An overall fast and interesting read. Roberts' style of writing is engaging and conversational. She makes you think, but steers clear of being pushy with her rules. Roberts makes a point to tell her readers to make their own rules, that her personal rules are just an example of how to construct your own set of life-guides.
iluvteaching
she spoke at my graduation for getting my masters. she was inspirational. thought the book was very motivational for young people just getting started. I would love to see what it says after her bout with cancer. She rewrote this book with 8 rules to live by. I just need to read that chapter.I got some really good biblical ideas from her and I like that also.
Janet
This was a birthday gift from Dianne... we are both big GMA fans. I really enjoyed reading about Robin's thoughts. The only thing that is left out is whether or not she is or has ever been in a romantice relationship. She refers to all her family and some friends, but leaves this out... makes me wonder why.
Margaret
May 02, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Amanda and Monica
Robin Roberts shares pivotal moments of her life and expresses the lessons she learned along the way. The stories of personal challenges and how she grew through them provide inspiration and admiration. I especially like the family stories and the great influences her parents were in her life.
Megan Cooper
I actually read 8 rules form the heart. but didn't see it until after I'd selected this one. I liked it, and I liked her, but it felt a little pollyanna and didactic after awhile. The writing is not the best, but her story itself is both memorable and remarkable, and she is very likeable.
Musiquedevie
Robin writes a positive, uplifting book sharing her experiences in work, family and friends. I've always admired Ms. Roberts and it was enjoyable to get to know her background and what grounds her in life. It's inspiring to read her "rules" and get her insight to in life's lessons.
Susan Edwards
Robin Roberts is an inspiration for all women. She makes you feel like you are a part of her family whether it be while reading her book or watching her on TV. This book is an easy read just filled with common sense ways to live your life. More people should follow her example.
Sharonbrown
A stone-fire small book of pure inspiration. You go gurl! Having gone through the breast cancer diagnosis/surgery/radiology/lymphedema and just the pure ordeal of recovering, I understand my strength comes from my Faith and Belief and Commitment to God and Self. Excellent!
Colleen
I bought this book thinking that it was an all new book. However, I was disappointed to find out that it was the same book (7 rules to live by) with an added chapter after her breast cancer diagnosis. That is why I have given the book a rating of three stars.
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Eternal Vows
  • The Naked Truth: Young, Beautiful, and (HIV) Positive
  • Permission Slips: Every Woman's Guide to Giving Herself a Break
  • Courting Justice
  • The Bond: Three Young Men Learn to Forgive and Reconnect with Their Fathers
  • It Is Well with My Soul: The Extraordinary Life of a 106-Year-Old Woman
  • Jenniemae & James: A Memoir in Black and White
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
  • Black Woman Redefined: Dispelling Myths and Discovering Fulfillment in the Age of Michelle Obama
  • Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege
  • Life Is Not a Fairy Tale
  • Only Love (Only Love, #1)
  • An Angry-Ass Black Woman
  • This Little Light of Mine: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
  • Crimson Footprints II: New Beginnings
  • Exposed (Free Falling, #3)
  • There's More to Life than This: Healing Messages, Remarkable Stories, and Insight About the Other Side from the Long Island Medium
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.

Robin René Roberts (born November 23, 1960) is an American television broadcaster. Roberts is the anchor of ABC's morning show Good Morning America. After growing up in Mississippi and attending Southeastern Louisiana University, Roberts was a sports anchor for local TV and radio stations. Roberts was a sportscaster on ESPN for 15 years (1990
More about Robin Roberts...
Everybody's Got Something The Little Human Who Could Sports for Life Basketball the Right Way Throwing Hard Easy: Reflections on a Life in Baseball

“Venture outside your comfort zone. To stop growing is to stop living.” 4 likes