From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live By

From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live By

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  69 reviews
We often hear that success requires pushing the boundaries, coloring outside the lines, stepping on toes, and breaking all the rules. But some rules are so critical they aren't meant to be broken. In this, her first book, perennially popular Good Morning America host Robin Roberts reveals the 7ules that she has always honored on her road to success. Illustrated with storie...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Kingswell (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about From the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Heart

Mloy
This was really a nice book to read, full of inspirational teachings from Ms. Roberts' grandmother and her parents. Also lot of truly useful and good advice about evaluating one's path in life-- an honest way assess your situation and a nice set of guidelines on how to change it if you need a new direction in life. I liked that Ms. Roberts was pretty candid and honest about this book not being a "how to" book on success but more like a collection of teachings from her family that has helped her...more
Sheri
I have always admired Robin Roberts and when I saw this book I picked it up as a fast-read for an overnight trip I was about to take. This book is a delightful look at Robin’s philosophy and what makes her the role model that she is today. Combined with her humor, warmth and honesty, Robin shares significant times of her life. She expresses the lessons she learned along the way through her stories of personal challenges and how she grew through them. I especially enjoyed the family stories and t...more
Lain
Rule Number One: Get a Good Editor.

I don't know much about Robin Roberts, but I was taken by the summary on the back of the book. Because I'm a sucker for memoirs of people facing tough odds, I thought I'd love this book. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out of the first chapter. The book is haphazard, poorly written, and in dire need of a good editor.

Examples: the anecdotes make little or no sense, and don't seem to apply to the "rule" being presented. One thing that really got me was in the fir...more
Pat
I have always liked and admired Robin Roberts. I enjoyed reading some background on how she got to where she is today. The book is a quick read and she tells her story with warmth and without conceit. I hope she will write another one, more of a memoir, since so much has happened in her life since this one came out.
I read the newer version of the book in which she added an eighth rule to live by--"make your mess your message." She added this chapter after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was a great book with many inspirational life lessons. I was in tears through much of the book.
Rebecca
Robin Roberts is an amazing individual, and such an inspiration. Her "rules" are filled with good advice, but at the conclusion, she suggests that the reader make their own rules. In spite of the hardships and health issues she has endured, she is amazingly positive. I have always enjoyed watching her, but after reading her story I admire her even more...her courage, her faith, her family relationships, her insight, her talent... What a beautiful person (inside as well as out)!

Her writing style...more
Lynn Rueff
Robin Roberts is a sportscaster for ESPN. This was an inspirational book that was easy to read. I had not seen her on television but I am now more familiar with her work after the description in her book. Ms. Roberts was a standout high school basketball player, a college basketball star, later an ESPN host and co-anchor of Good Morning America. After being diagnosed with brest cancer she renamed her book "Eight Rules to Live By" adding that a person should be open for change and the unexpected....more
Lynn Cutting
Good, easy read. insightful and inspirational. I really admire robin Roberts and this was a good book with some good advice.
Ann
WOW! What an amazing book! I am a big fan of Robin Roberts. She writes with such poise and class. I had a feeling this book was going to be inspirational. I just didn't realize I would feel like my best friend was happily guiding me with some great suggestions to live by. All of which seem to be quite easy to follow. Robin Roberts is one of those people I love inviting into my home each weekday morning on GMA. Robin is a force to be reckoned with. She will make you laugh and cry all at the same...more
Coffeeboss
I adore Robin Roberts on Good Morning America, so I picked up this book as a fast read. She admits right off that it is basically the equivalent of inspirational speeches that she gives to college graduations and such, and that is indeed how it comes across. But it is nice, positive, warm advice, which is not surprising considering the source. It is also nice to get a peek into her own background as an athlete and stories of how she got into broadcasting.
Jean
I'm not a fan of celebrities wowing us peons with their words of wisdom that have been gleaned from lives of privilege. Roberts' book (which I listened to on CD) is bit better than the rest because she was able to break new ground and to make it as sports broadcaster in a field where women aren't always welcome. Calm, self assured but not egotistical, and interesting, Roberts did a good job of reading her own words and maintaining my interest.
Denise
I have wanted to read this book for a while now. It did not disappoint. A strong woman with a wonderful faith in all things.
Sara
Book is about Good Morning America's Robin Roberts and her fight to get what she wanted out of life. Rule number eight was recently added after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Good advice to given and awesome to hear that not everyone in the high positions we all dream of got there easily. Positive reinforcement to keep pushing ourselves to get where we truly want to be!
Chanel
This book was very inspirational. I work Monday - Friday during the hours of GMA and I didn't know a lot about Ms. Roberts before this book.

She provided some great rules for us to all live by and I really enjoyed the book!
Angela
Poignant, poised, and purposeful! An overall fast and interesting read. Roberts' style of writing is engaging and conversational. She makes you think, but steers clear of being pushy with her rules. Roberts makes a point to tell her readers to make their own rules, that her personal rules are just an example of how to construct your own set of life-guides.
iluvteaching
she spoke at my graduation for getting my masters. she was inspirational. thought the book was very motivational for young people just getting started. I would love to see what it says after her bout with cancer. She rewrote this book with 8 rules to live by. I just need to read that chapter.I got some really good biblical ideas from her and I like that also.
Janet
This was a birthday gift from Dianne... we are both big GMA fans. I really enjoyed reading about Robin's thoughts. The only thing that is left out is whether or not she is or has ever been in a romantice relationship. She refers to all her family and some friends, but leaves this out... makes me wonder why.
Margaret
May 02, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Amanda and Monica
Robin Roberts shares pivotal moments of her life and expresses the lessons she learned along the way. The stories of personal challenges and how she grew through them provide inspiration and admiration. I especially like the family stories and the great influences her parents were in her life.
Megan Cooper
I actually read 8 rules form the heart. but didn't see it until after I'd selected this one. I liked it, and I liked her, but it felt a little pollyanna and didactic after awhile. The writing is not the best, but her story itself is both memorable and remarkable, and she is very likeable.
Musiquedevie
Robin writes a positive, uplifting book sharing her experiences in work, family and friends. I've always admired Ms. Roberts and it was enjoyable to get to know her background and what grounds her in life. It's inspiring to read her "rules" and get her insight to in life's lessons.
Susan Edwards
Robin Roberts is an inspiration for all women. She makes you feel like you are a part of her family whether it be while reading her book or watching her on TV. This book is an easy read just filled with common sense ways to live your life. More people should follow her example.
Sharonbrown
A stone-fire small book of pure inspiration. You go gurl! Having gone through the breast cancer diagnosis/surgery/radiology/lymphedema and just the pure ordeal of recovering, I understand my strength comes from my Faith and Belief and Commitment to God and Self. Excellent!
Colleen
I bought this book thinking that it was an all new book. However, I was disappointed to find out that it was the same book (7 rules to live by) with an added chapter after her breast cancer diagnosis. That is why I have given the book a rating of three stars.
Aileen
This is one of THE best books I have ever read. I thank Robin for writing it and sharing her thoughts with the rest of us. I have made so many marks in the book to go back to.....I think I'll just have to reread it......I recommend to everyone, young and old.
Deb
I greatly love and admire Robin Roberts so when I saw this as a Kindle Deal, I bought it. Maybe a bit too much coaching/motivating for my mood right now but Roberts writes from the heart and learning about her background and how she got to her success is interesting.
Stephanie
Wow! What an inspiring book! I recommend this book to EVERYONE! There aren't a lot of books in which I encourage all my friends and family to read, but this is a great book. If you only read one book this year, please make it this one, you won't be sorry!
Elf_owl
It was an okay read. I normally am not that interested in reading motivational books but read this since I got it for free. I liked how she made it clear that it's good to dream but that you still have to be practical. It was a bit short though.
Kayla
What a great, inspirational book. She emphasizes the fact that she has been successful but that your path to success May not look like hers; in fact, it probably won't. This was an easy read that has practical lessons about life and living.
Heather
Heartwarming and poignant, a success story based on positive values, positive outlook by an inspiring, likable news and sports personality. This book is even more poignant because we now know that Robin Roberts continues to fight for her life.
  • Angels Landing (Cavanaugh Island, #2)
  • A Dangerous Kiss
  • The Naked Truth: Young, Beautiful, and (HIV) Positive
  • Courting Justice
  • This Little Light of Mine: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
  • Black Woman Redefined: Dispelling Myths and Discovering Fulfillment in the Age of Michelle Obama
  • Lost and Found: Finding Hope in the Detours of Life
  • Successful Women Think Differently: 9 Habits to Make You Happier, Healthier, & More Resilient
  • Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege
  • Crimson Footprints II: New Beginnings
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • Grace After Midnight: A Memoir
  • Living and Dying in Brick City
  • What Becomes of the Brokenhearted: A Memoir
  • Michelle: A Biography
  • When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood
  • Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon, #13)
  • Sellout
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.

Robin René Roberts (born November 23, 1960) is an American television broadcaster. Roberts is the anchor of ABC's morning show Good Morning America. After growing up in Mississippi and attending Southeastern Louisiana University, Roberts was a sports anchor for local TV and radio stations. Roberts was a sportscaster on ESPN for 15 years (1990...more
More about Robin Roberts...
Everybody's Got Something The Whiz Kids And the 1950 Pennant My Life in Baseball Sports for Life Basketball, the Right Way

“Venture outside your comfort zone. To stop growing is to stop living.” 3 likes