Start by marking “Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)

Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)

Agatha finalist Jane K. Cleland brings us an irresistible new blend of coziness, crime, and collectibles...

The autumn foliage is in full fiery glory on a beautiful day in the little coastal town of Rocky Point, New Hampshire. Josie Prescott arrives at the town’s renovated lighthouse to conduct an antiques appraisal and is horrified to discover the bludgeoned body of her ne
Published April 13th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Auction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Auction

Cheryl
May 10, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Antiques dealer Josie Prescott is preparing for the annual Rocky Point Harvest Festival. Josie’s receptionist reminds Josie that Guy Whitestone has a meeting with her to go over his Maritime collection for appraisal.

Frankie Winterelli is the Whitestone’s caretaker, part time employee of Josie’s and nephew to Josie’s good friend, Zoe. Josie calls Frankie as he is ten minutes late but he doesn’t answer his phone. She lets himself into his home and discovers Frankie dead on the kitchen floor. Some
Thomas Bruso
May 31, 2014 Thomas Bruso rated it it was amazing
The success of a good mystery includes a dead body right from the get-go and does not let you out of its grip until the last page. As it happens in "Silent Auction", Cleland knows how to keep her readers turning pages.

In the fifth installment of Josie Prescott mysteries, the body of Frankie Winterelli is found in the kitchen on Rocky Point Light, his head bashed in. Enters antique appraiser and amateur sleuth, Josie Prescott, who, with a nose for sniffing out the truth, stumbles into real danger
Viccy
Oct 14, 2010 Viccy rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Another nice serviceable entry in the Josie Prescott series. Josie has been hired to appraise a nautical collection owned by some wealthy residents of Rocky Point. When she arrives, she finds the body of Frankie Winterelli, nephew of her landlady and good friend, Zoe. Frankie was out of jail, but was doing a good job of getting his life back on track and no one will admit to disliking him. There is a new chief of police in Rocky Point as well, Ellis Hunter is replacing Josie's boyfriend, Ty, who ...more
Debbie Maskus
Apr 29, 2010 Debbie Maskus rated it liked it
This is a Josie Prescott mystery set in a fictional town in NEw Hampshire where the vicious weather plays a constant hand in setting the tone of the story. In this novel, the time is early fall with hints of winter glimpsing through the warm weather. The town of Rocky Point has a new Chief of Police, Ellis Hunter, an ex New York City cop. This story involves the antiques of scrimshaw-a process done in the past by sailors. Josie is a tour de force, always sticking her nose into every crime, but ...more
Connie Deeter
Mar 30, 2011 Connie Deeter rated it really liked it
I really like Jane Cleland as an author - however, as a collector of Scrimshaw Jewelry and Artifacts, I wasx hoping that she would have included more details in this book of the actual pieces that were in her friends collection. When I talked with her at Eva Perry Library in Cary NC about this book, I thought that there would be more of the background of the history of scrimshaw included in the story.

I was a little disappointed because I don't think that this book was up to her usual standards.
Susan
Aug 14, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
When Josie Prescott, who owns an antiques auction house, arrives to do an appraisal at a millionaire's seaside retreat, she finds the body of someone she knows. Her boyfriend, once police chief in Rocky Point, is now working for Homeland Security, and the new police chief has just started. He seems very willing to enlist Josie and her expertise, since a piece of scrimshaw, possibly a valuable antique, possibly a counterfeit, is missing.
Rita Mcallister davidson
Jan 23, 2016 Rita Mcallister davidson rated it really liked it
This is the second book of Jane K. Cleland I have read from the Saltville Library in Saltville, Va. Enjoyed both and liked because this one was in big writing. It was a little long and didn't understand, even though it went into the scrimshaw tooth. Zoe's nephew, Frankie, was killed n they were trying to find out who killed him.
Claudia B
Sep 05, 2010 Claudia B rated it did not like it
what a piece of crap. the "heroine" is irritating with her incessant yapping, the characters are all caricatures, and the author has yet to learn to Show, not Tell, because everything is described in excruciating detail.

i figured out who the killer was right away, and it's obvious from the narrator's description since it's so biased.

not reading another one of these!
Grey853
Jun 18, 2010 Grey853 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
If you like learning about antiques, this series has it for you. Each one has a different focus. In this one it's mainly about maritime work.

While I like the story and the character overall, it does bug me that it's so unrealistic to think that the new sheriff would just happen to ask Josie to be his helper.

Still, it was an easy read.
Remmy Rem
Jun 12, 2015 Remmy Rem rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Please, please diversify the names. Every character has the most stereotypical all-American white names in the world. There couldn't be one, one character with a twist to it or something? The author never described skin colour (probably because she never learned "Show don't tell") but I know for a fact everyone is white as white, hexidecimal #FFFFFF.
Lynda
May 28, 2010 Lynda rated it liked it
I liked this book in the Josie Prescoitt series because it was less frantic than some of the stories. Josie is assisting the new police chief with his inquiries into a murder connected to antiques fraud and Josie's friend and landlord Zoe. It was refreshing to see Josie using her talents rather than being accused of a crime. Nice addition to the series.
Katie
Aug 04, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
I found this to be a great cozy! The main character, Josie, was a strong woman with confidence, skill and admirable qualities. The back story was fascinating. I feel I learned a lot about scrimshaw and evaluating antiques. The mystery itself was quite well plotted. If you enjoy cozies at all I think you would enjoy Ms Clenland's novels.
Pat
Aug 07, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
A really good story, and very informative with interesting things about Scrimshaw. I like the characters that Jane brings to life. I must say that I do not always guess the right person for the "Who Done It". This particular book kept me guessing till the very end. Well, until the last 3 chapters, anyway. Still, a good book.
Becky
Dec 08, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
It was something about this book that seemed to drag on, seemed to be a lot of chit-chat between Zoe and Josie that was boring. I like when it's more mystery than talk. Just not enough excitement to keep me turning the pages. I'll take a break from the series then come back and try Deadly Threads.
Mary
Sep 01, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
I have really never been interested in scrimshaw, still can't really say that I am. However, I learned a lot about it reading this novel and have a greater appreciation of this artform than I did before.
Andrea
May 11, 2015 Andrea rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into it. Ended up only getting about a quarter into it, flipping through the rest to see if it got more interesting, and eventually just giving up. Just not what I've been into lately. Maybe in a year or so, if I try it again, I'll love it...that's just how I work I guess.
Jill
Jul 03, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
Number 5 in the Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery series. Josie finds her friend Frankie's body. Who killed him and why. Frankie has turned his life around. His Aunt Zoe is Josie's good friend/neighbor. Lots of intrigue in the antique business.
Leslie
Apr 15, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it
Another Josie Prescott mystery and a bit more info on antiques. This time the murder is close and personal; the mystery surrounds scrimshaw. Now I know more about this art form and the
scrimshanders who created and still create pieces. Another satisfying read in the series.
Cara
Aug 16, 2010 Cara rated it it was ok
I don't know why I didn't like this more - maybe because I thought I knew the killer within the first 50 pages, and I was right.

I don't think I'll read another Josie Prescott unless I am real need of something to read.
Sarah Downing
Oct 27, 2011 Sarah Downing rated it did not like it
Eh. Couldn't finish. I guess I've read some really well written books lately and this didn't even compare.
Andrea
Aug 02, 2016 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Another lovely Josie Prescott mystery. I learned about scrimshaw and met some wonderful new people. And the solution was bigger than I expected. Good stuff all around.
Mary
Feb 06, 2014 Mary added it
This was the best of the batch. So much information about art, auctions and collectors. I really, really like these books.
Julie
Mar 27, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok

A very dry mystery with a little too much antique information for my taste. I don't think I would have rated it as high as I did but I was coming off of that awful Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.
Christy
Aug 20, 2015 Christy rated it liked it
These are still enjoyable, and not too predictable, which is a nice change from other light mysteries of this nature.
Susan
Mar 18, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Although I don't usually read mysteries, I enjoyed this one that takes place in a little seaside town and is concerned not only with murder but the rarified world of real antiquities and fakes.
Fun.
Donna
Jun 24, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Ms. Cleland keeps on getting better. I really enjoy the characters and the plot twists. It's also fun to learn about antiques and appraisals while enjoying the mystery.
Nancy
Oct 05, 2010 Nancy added it
Didn't finish. Murder at lighthouse in New Hampshire. Josie Prescott, antiques dealer, tries to help find murderer.

Read after Girl Who Plays With Fire - no comparison. Too simplistic.
Evonne Edgington
Jun 21, 2014 Evonne Edgington rated it liked it
This is a good series, nice cozy.
Linda Kordes
Linda Kordes rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Nat
Aug 22, 2016 Nat rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
Another solid book in the series.
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Short Squeeze
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery, #5)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (Talk Radio Mystery #3)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #4)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
Jane K. Cleland’s multiple award-winning and IMBA best selling Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery series [St. Martin’s Minotaur] has been reviewed as an Antiques Roadshow for mystery fans. Library Journal named Consigned to Death a "core title" for librarians looking to build a cozy collection, one of only 22 titles listed, along with books by Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers. The full article ...more
More about Jane K. Cleland...

Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Consigned to Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #2)
  • Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Keepsakes (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #6)
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #7)
  • Lethal Treasure (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #8)
  • Blood Rubies (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #9)
  • Ornaments of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #10)
  • The Glow of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #11)