Start by marking “Kubla Khan” as Want to Read:
Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  2,039 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Kubla Khan or, A Vision in a Dream: A Fragment is a poem written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, completed in 1797 and published in 1816. According to Coleridge's Preface to Kubla Khan, the poem was composed one night after he experienced an opium-influenced dream after reading a work describing Xanadu, the summer palace of the Mongol ruler and Emperor of China Kublai Khan. He ...more
2 pages
Published 1816 by Dutton Co.

To ask other readers questions about Kubla Khan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kubla Khan

Florencia
Nov 23, 2015 Florencia rated it really liked it
Recommended to Florencia by: David Sarkies
Shelves: poetry
Words evoking vivid, faithful images. The perfection of metres, rhymes and the intellectual effort everything represents. A person in a verse. A life in a haiku. A world in a stanza. I love poetry as much as I love prose. And this poem by Coleridge, this fragment portrays the essence of Romanticism. I have already read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and found it awe-inspiring. So I had a vague idea of the artistic force I was going to encounter with.

The Preface of this poem explains the backgro
Seemita
May 12, 2015 Seemita rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
“A mighty fountain momently was forced:
Amid whose swift half-intermitted burst
Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail,
Or chaffy grain beneath the thresher’s flail:”

Precisely how I felt.

A Vision In A Dream. The poem opens with Kubla Khan, basking in the beauty of his pleasure dome, imposingly erected amidst a gorgeous canvas of the sacred river, the sunless sea, the blossomed trees and the green hills. His eyes, filled with passion and beauty, also finds merit in the waning moon, the pau
Liam
Mar 05, 2016 Liam rated it liked it
This poem contains some beautiful language and imagery yet on a whole it is pretty weird, of which I like!
Jason
Oct 26, 2015 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015, poetry
I was expecting this to be an epic poem and was quite surprised to find out just how short it is. I did enjoy it but it does feel unfinished, if only he had taken a bit more opium to recreate the dream.

This was my intro to Coleridge, will be checking out more of his stuff.
Say Lee
Dec 10, 2013 Say Lee rated it really liked it
So mesmerizing! And to think we would've had more of this opium-sparked fantasy...
Damn it, person from Porlock!
Manuela
Mar 24, 2014 Manuela rated it it was amazing
Great Poem. You should also listen to actor Benedict cumberbatch reading it!
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it it was amazing
Lumi
Apr 05, 2012 Lumi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Xanadu
I discovered this poem when assigned to read it in lit class years ago. It's one of the few that have stuck in memory since. The thing I like best about it is its meter. I especially love the first stanza;
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
That is just plain fun to read and speak aloud. Special props to Coleridge for mentioning "Xanadu" even though he couldn't have known at the time that
Preethi
Mar 19, 2012 Preethi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to read and imagine
Recommended to Preethi by: Gussie
All evidence points to this being a 5-star rating, but for the plain reason of me not savoring poetry as much as I would savor prose is why this is a 4-star for me.
I love the imagination in this poem, the description of Xanadu and the mention of Kublai Khan . Without even reading its wiki entry, I had an image of a beautiful Paradise on the verge of collapsing (because of the prophecy) and a deep, dark , sad feeling from the Abyssinian maid’s song. There is also this feeling that the prophecy is
Crystal Dawn
I just can't rate this ... It's the same problem I had with H.P Lovecrafts The Nameless City, I think it needs a reread and a long hard think. It does sound beautiful though... I think Kevin has summed up my confusion beautifully right here.
Shanna
Feb 11, 2014 Shanna rated it it was ok
I know that Kubla Khan is a favorite for many, but for me, it's the story behind the poem that makes it so interesting, not the poem itself. I enjoy teaching the poem because it takes students on a wild journey, but in the end, they care more about getting through the poem than they do about understanding it.
Leah Calo
Dec 16, 2013 Leah Calo rated it it was amazing
Absolute favorite poem of all time. The imagery is unreal. Beautiful use of metaphor and fantastic allusions. Love Coleridge in all of his Opium-infused genius glory XD
Alok Pepakayala
sanctum film brought me here and its background and all considered its quite intense and not bad for the effort put into it.
Kevin J.J. Carpenter
Dec 30, 2015 Kevin J.J. Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
By far my favourite poem. Cliché perhaps, yes, but it's bloody beautiful.

EDIT: Just read this to Crystal. I think she is confused.
Rhea Cai
Oct 16, 2014 Rhea Cai rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, poetry
Romantic poetry written after an opium-induced dream? I'm in.

Bella
May 19, 2015 Bella rated it liked it
Nothing in comparison to the Mariner, but brilliant work nonetheless.
Indah Threez Lestari
808 - 2016
Oğuzcan Önver
Jun 10, 2016 Oğuzcan Önver rated it it was amazing
Kimsenin okumadığı ve muhtemelen hayatı boyunca okumayacağı kitaplar serimize Coleridge ile başlıyoruz. Coleridge'yı herkes The Rime of the Ancient Mariner şiiriyle tanır, seven o şiiriyle sever. Kubla Khan şairin en epik anlatısını gerçekleştirdiği kitabıdır bu yüzden kimse bilmez, bir yerde epik varsa biz biliriz.

Yazımıyla da ilgili bir sürü efsane dolaşır ama en ünlüsü şudur: Coleridge yine bir gün afyonu patlatmış ve uykuya dalmış, rüyasında bir Çin sarayının inşaasından gelen tuhaf sesler
Joe
Sep 30, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this poem!

That sunny dome! those caves of ice!
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

To me, poetry doesn't get better than that.
Dante
Mar 29, 2016 Dante rated it it was amazing
I'll admit it: I only came across this poem after listening to Rush's Xanadu. This makes Samuel Taylor Coleridge yet another great writer introduced to me by Neil Peart, along with Jack London, Kevin J. Anderson, and Ayn Rand.

I only wish that Coleridge hadn't been interrupted in the writing of Kubla Khan. I've memorized the poem word for word; I only wish I could understand how it ends.
Sneh Pradhan
Jun 23, 2013 Sneh Pradhan rated it really liked it
One of my favourite poems , I read it first , as a part of my sylabbus in 8th grade . I love historical poems like The Charge of the Light Brigade , The Eve of Waterloo , Lochinvar et al , and this is a delightful addition to the list . The fluidity of the tenor and rhyme lends a beautiful fragrance , light and heady at the same time . Mesmerizing !!!
Cindy
Perhaps one of my favorite poems, and I'm not really an avid poem reader. I love the rhyme and how everything just flows. It's a beautiful and artistic poem that everyone should read at least once to expose themselves.
Mister Future [formerly known as 'Pizzle']
[review referring to the poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge]

Originally read in senior year of high school.

4/5 Stars
Nina
Oct 02, 2013 Nina rated it it was ok
This poem was definitely a weird read. The back story of the writer is interesting to think about as you read this though :)
Yasmeen
Apr 27, 2011 Yasmeen rated it really liked it
Great poem and it shows for as Coleridge's superiority in harmonizing two opposite themes " Life and death"
Alysyn Reinhardt
Oct 23, 2013 Alysyn Reinhardt rated it really liked it
I like Rime of the Ancient Mariner better. Say it's because I'm a woman, I dare you.

..It's not. It's actually better.
Pallav Goel
Nov 29, 2012 Pallav Goel rated it it was amazing
One of the most dominant thought process ever. 'Passage of Porlock' can be easily related to reality.
Jacqueline Mckevitt
Jacqueline Mckevitt rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
  • Great Sonnets
  • A Defence of Poetry
  • An Essay on Criticism
  • To His Coy Mistress
Samuel Taylor Coleridge was an English poet, critic, and philosopher who was, along with his friend William Wordsworth, one of the founders of the Romantic Movement in England and one of the Lake Poets. He is probably best known for his poems The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan, as well as his major prose work Biographia Literaria.
More about Samuel Taylor Coleridge...

“And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.”
16 likes
“Everyone should have two or three hives of bees. Bees are easier to keep than a dog or a cat. They are more interesting than gerbils.” 10 likes