Start by marking “Broken Body, Healing Spirit: Lectio Divina and Living with Illness” as Want to Read:
Broken Body, Healing Spirit: Lectio Divina and Living with Illness

Broken Body, Healing Spirit: Lectio Divina and Living with Illness

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  16 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In the summer of 1995 Mary Earle returned from a vacation feeling refreshed and restored from her time away. A few days later, all that changed, when she was rushed to the emergency room with a case of acute and life-threatening pancreatitis. Being ill, she discovered, forces you to learn to live in whole new ways, ones often marked by limitation and fragility.

As a priest
Published July 1st 2003 by Morehouse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Broken Body, Healing Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Body, Healing Spirit

Elizabeth
I've actively read this book, sometimes a page or a paragraph at a time, for nearly three months, in order to savor it. And it's been absolutely wonderful. Earle's writing voice is centered, kind and nourishing, making the act of reading this text prayerful in and of itself. But the way she embodies the technique of lectio divina - and opens the practice up to use uniquely within the experience of chronic illness - has transformed my experiences of illness and of prayer.
Lee Pfahler
This was a great book for me to read mainly because I happened to read it around the time that I suffered a medical emergency and a so far undiagnosed illness which fortunately I have mostly recovered from. The lectio steps were helpful for me especially the suggestion to let other people pray for me when I was not able to.
Cherry
Nov 23, 2013 Cherry rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. I enjoyed being reminded of the process of prayer called lectio divina. The idea of using that process and incorporating the body as the text was inspired. Reading the book and meditating on my body has helped me to be grateful for my body. I have been noticing the aches and pains of an aging body but Mary's book has helped me to focus on what's RIGHT about my body instead of on the few things that are not perfect.

Having recently met the author in person, I hear that same gent
Kathy
May 27, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
This book wasn't what I expected. It was interesting to read once, with a few insights for living with illness, but it isn't the kind of thing I would use as a guide.
Rosalind
Rosalind marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Sooby Harrison
Sooby Harrison rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
erica collins
erica collins rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Jane C O'Keefe
Jane C O'Keefe rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Sarah Randall
Sarah Randall marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 09, 2015
Danyale
Danyale marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Material Media
Material Media rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Heather Chomos
Heather Chomos is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Helena
Helena rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Shaleen
Shaleen marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Keith Mac
Keith Mac rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Patricia Burns
Patricia Burns marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Larry Jirsak
Larry Jirsak rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Sandi
Sandi rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Trayce A Cox
Trayce A Cox marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Susan Bea
Susan Bea marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Sonja
Sonja added it
Feb 04, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Piper Selden
Piper Selden marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2012