Start by marking “Where's Billie? (Skeeter Hughes Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Where's Billie? (Skeeter Hughes Mystery #1)

Read Book

Where's Billie? (Skeeter Hughes Mystery #1)

This thrilling mystery by Judith Yates Borger follows the exploits of a journalist-turned-detective when her teenaged daughter has a brush with crime at the Mall of America. It√s a great novel for fans of the genre and casual readers alike.
Published August 1st 2009 by Nodin Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Where's Billie?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where's Billie?

Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Very good reading for airplane travel and stuck in a hotel for five nights. The crimes and criminals were a bit confusing and I never really understood why some of the stuff happened--the explosion, for example--but that's not really a criticism. It's a real life story, not a tidily plotted mystery. Not an Agatha Christie. Human behavior can be messy at times, and she lets it stay that way.

Especially enjoyable are the details on Minneapolis living. I like a little bit of travel story tucked in m
Janel Marie
It would be impossible for me to not point out the massive spoiler in the book’s Amazon description, but beyond that, I have almost nothing negative to say about this book. This is the first novel for journalist-turned-author Judith Yates Borger and the first book in a series starring Skeeter Hughes, the titular character.

The book takes place over the course of one very action-packed week that begins with a message from a worried mother and quickly escalates to include multiple large-scale explo
Luanne
Feb 11, 2014 Luanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Where's Billie was a well written mystery that involves teens, trouble and the Mall of America in Minneapolis, MN. Skeeter a reporter involves herself in a missing teenager. Skeeter has two girls of her own which leads her to keep picking at this case. She finds that not only is the case about the girl that is missing. When Skeeter is assigned to look into a principal that might be let go in a suburb she finds that more is involved with these 2 cases. This mystery was a page turner.
Maureen M
Jun 23, 2012 Maureen M rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Fun read with entertaining reworkings of real news stories, such as the north side riot and the firebombing of a certain reporter's car.
Jan
Great midwest connections.
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Oct 09, 2016 Tess Mertens-Johnson rated it really liked it
Billie is a teenager who goes missing after her shift at Super America. Her parents have gone through an ugly divorce…and the only one who seems concerned about where she may be is reporter Skeeter Hughes.
Skeeter starts this out as a story for the newspaper about a potential runaway, and uncovers drugs, prostitution and the people leading the crimes are in positions of power and trust.
This book lost me when the police gave up on this girl (post Amber alert) and for days..is only followed by this
Mike
Aug 01, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
This is well-written, as one would expect from a professional journalist, but a few of the situations and events are tough to swallow, and one too many coincidences. For example: a bullet through the jacket is likely to elicit a shade more reaction from a civilian; a highly experienced Minnesotan driving out in terrible weather would ensure preparation was better, cellphone batteries are conveniently utterly empty; after a two year investigation the police don't know McClintock is a serious ...more
John Mchugh
May 21, 2016 John Mchugh rated it liked it
It is the "debut" novel of this Minneapolis author. And although I no longer live there, I remember seeing her byline numerous times in The Star Tribune or, as some locals call it, The Star Trombone. It was an easy, enjoyable read. But, for my tastes, a little too predictable to be a completely successful mystery. That said, its was fun. And there's also a bonus when the story is set in a place you know well.
Marla Madison
Although I've become rather weary of reporter protagonists, Berger's Skeeter is a truly interesting character. She's real, someone we can all identify with, from her troubled relationship with her husband, her efforts to succeed at her job, and her battle to get through the Minnesota weather while trying to break a story about teen-prostitution. Definitely a fun read, with plenty of plot twists along the way.
Linda Day
Good little Lake read ... liked Skeeter (who wouldn't w/a name like Skeeter ?), liked the "missing person" angle, and the gen'l "who dunnit" flavor of the book. Inoffensive mystery would be my best recommendation heading !
pat cutlip
Very light weight read.

Thought I'd found a new author but a Nancy Drew type plot. Very little substance and not even a plausible progression of a serious story line.
Tarra
Jan 19, 2014 Tarra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book had potential but it was way more long and drawn out than it should have been. Several unnecessary details.
Diana
Dec 02, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over Kinsey Mahoney and Stephanie Plum, make room for the newest female detective, Skeeter Hughes. Very enjoyable read.
Kate Krier
Kate Krier rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Melinda Owens
Melinda Owens rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Art J. Sannel
May 20, 2014 Art J. Sannel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book I could not put down I recommend everyone to read this book great book
LuAnn
LuAnn rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Katie Winkelman
Katie Winkelman rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
debra mendonca
debra mendonca rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2011
Bonny Covington
Bonny Covington rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Michelle Rust
Michelle Rust rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Karen Cassetta
Karen Cassetta rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Kalyn
Kalyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Michaela
Michaela rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2013
  • Double Take: a Hank Hammond, P.I. mystery featuring Lori Reed
  • The Survival of Thomas Ford
  • Sound of Blood
  • The Anvil of the Craftsman
  • Mrs Jones (Tommy Connell Mystery #1)
  • The Puzzle (Samantha Jamison Mystery #1)
  • Black Waters (The Songstress Trilogy #1)
  • The Undertaker
  • The Shoulders of Giants
  • The Pineville Heist
  • The Commission (Sam Kincaid, #1)
  • Louisiana Lament (Talba Wallis, #3)
  • The Saints Go Dying
  • The Secret Formula (Bella Street Mysteries, #1)
  • Don't Need No Water
  • Resurrection
I started getting paid for my writing when I was a 16-year-old correspondent from my high school for the local newspaper. From there it was on to a degree in journalism from Michigan State University, then a couple of jobs as a reporter in New Haven, Conn. Along the way I married the editor of our college newspaper and moved to Minneapolis. I was a magazine editor for a few years. While raising ...more
More about Judith Yates Borger...

Skeeter Hughes Mystery (3 books)
  • Whose Hand? (Skeeter Hughes Mystery, #2)
  • Who Bombed the Train? (Skeeter Hughes Mystery, #3)