Start by marking “Library Lion” as Want to Read:
Library Lion

Library Lion

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  7,245 Ratings  ·  653 Reviews
A deluxe edition celebrating ten years of a beloved classic: the New York Times best-selling ode to that wonderful place, the library.

Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, is very particular about rules in the library. No running allowed. And you must be quiet. As long as you follow the rules, you are permitted to enjoy the library. There are no rules about lions in a l
Published June 25th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Library Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library Lion

Ann
Nov 20, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of cats, libraries, or if you want a broader understanding of rules
Recommended to Ann by: Katie!
What a sweet and touching story! The book is about a lion who decides to visit the library and stays. He helps out amongst the library staff and the children love him! And when someone falls and gets hurt, the lion must decide how to save them - even if it means breaking the rules.
The book is filled with beautiful pictures and a heartfelt writing style. The main characters are each unique and distinct. And there is a great message about rules being rules, but that even rules can be broken if the
Rikke
Aug 04, 2016 Rikke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rikke by: Gitte Winneche
This is perhaps one of the cutest things I've ever read. Lions, libraries and love. What more can you ask for, really?
Margaux
Mar 30, 2015 Margaux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I cry for a book it gets five stars.
Robert
Oct 02, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, 2010, 2011, favorites
Should a children’s book aim to teach important lessons to kids or just exist to entertain? This is a false choice and Library Lion shows just how possible it is to do both. I loved this book about a lion who falls in love with story time at the library, breaks the rules – by roaring in protest when story time is over – and is allowed to stay only on the condition that he obeys all of the rules from then on. Eventually there is a choice to be made between following the rules and roaring to fetch ...more
babyhippoface
Jan 28, 2011 babyhippoface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lion in the library? Well...give him a chance. As long as he's not breaking any rules (like roaring in the library), he can stay. But what happens when there's a problem, and a friend needs help? Is it okay to roar then?

Hawkes' illustrations have an old-fashioned, soft, kind of washed-out look to them, echoing the idea that the library is a place for muted voices (again--no roaring). Even very young children can read the lion's expressive face and understand how it's feeling at various points
Nadine Jones
Mar 01, 2016 Nadine Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
There aren't enough wonderful adjectives in my vocabulary for me to be able to adequately express just how very wonderful the lion is. This story has it all: excitement, satisfaction, comedy, drama, melodrama, jealousy, suspicion, angst, sorrow, and joy. There's a lion ... In the library!
Skip
Dec 17, 2016 Skip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A delightful children's book, with quality illustrations. And a moral message too. A strict librarian runs a tight ship, and nobody is quite sure what to make of a lion, who likes to be there. Turns out that he is a nice addition to the library, especially when things go wrong and he has to break the rules.
Kathryn
Absolutely wonderful!!! I loved it!!! Great for cat-lovers and library-lovers. Please, Library Lion, come to the El Dorado Hills library! ;->
Brina
Mar 01, 2016 Brina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is one of our top five kids books ever. My kids are for the most part past the read to me stage but we love this book about a lion in the library so much that it ends up in our house every two to three months or so.
Lisa Vegan
Nov 08, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young children
I enjoyed the terrific illustrations by Kevin Hawkes; they really make the book special. I love libraries, lions, and encouraging kids to think for themselves, in addition to learning to follow the rules. This book has all that.
Masoomeh Tavakoli
آن یک ستاره را صرفاً به دلیل حسادتم به شیر و سایر اعضای کتاب خانه ی مذکور کم کردم نقطه
Anu
Sep 21, 2016 Anu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kerrassaan mainio tarina, tosiasioina hyväksytyt absurdit lähtötekijät (yhtenä päivänä kirjastoon vain saapui leijona) ja ehjä draaman kaari. Toimii aivan loistavasti ekaluokan ja eskarin ääneenluettuna satuna. Efekteiksi riittävät kirjan kuvat, dramaattiset tauot silmänpyörittelyineen sekä äänien jäljittely, tassun, tassun, tassun, tassun, Rooaaaaar ja fiuuuuu pumsis.
Tarinan opetus: "Kirjastossakin saa joskus juosta ja huutaa, jos vaikka kirjastotäti tai kaveri on kaatunut ja satuttanut itsens
Tina
Aug 27, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
love this story about a lion that wanders into a library and listens to story time. When story time is over he roars in protest. Roaring is not allowed. He is only allowed to come back when he promises to come back. He becomes an indispensable part of the library. One day he breaks the rules. He has good reason but.... Perfect story for teaching about rules and sometimes you may have to break a rule.
midnightfaerie
Jan 08, 2014 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 2 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. The illustrations made the lion very lovable, so much so that you just wanted to hug him. A great addition to any children's library.
Scottsdale Public Library
I loved every second of this book: cats, libraries, beautiful illustrations, and rule-following. What a wonderful mix of teaching and entertainment!
– Michelle V.
Nicole
Mar 26, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave this 3 stars bc it was entirely too long for my 19 month old and didn't hold his attention. But I figured that's not the book's fault. Good book, but definitely more appropriate for an older child.
Mar 20, 2017 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read! My son and I read it together, taking turns. I would ask him questions about the plot and he would come up with what he thought about it. It was great.
Carson Anderson
Nov 20, 2015 Carson Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
This is a remarkably heartfelt story about a lion coming to a library. When the lion first shows up to the library Mr. McBee, who runs the circulation desk, is alarmed and tells Miss Merriweather, the librarian, that there is a lion in the library. She tells him that this is not against the rules and to leave the lion be. Mr. McBee is not very happy about this. At first the library patrons are very nervous about lion being there, but he follows the rules and is very well behaved. The children in ...more
Gabby Mondelli
Sep 29, 2015 Gabby Mondelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
I stumbled upon this book after listening to a group of second graders whispering in the halls about how much they’d like to have their very own library lion. Having never heard of the book, I stopped the students, not to tell them off for talking in the hallway as any trained teacher is supposed to do, but to get a book recommendation. I was not disappointed.

“The Library Lion” takes place in Miss Merriweather’s library. She is an extraordinarily strict librarian who prides herself on maintaini
Corlie Aldrich
As a former library media specialist, I used this book from the recommendation of another media specialist to introduce the expectations in the library. A classroom teacher could also use this to help prepare the students before their first library visit.
Anna
I've watched a brilliant video, where Mindy Sterling reads this lovely thing.
Check it out HERE, on StorylineOnline's Youtube page.
Video has illustrations from a book throughout, by the way. Which makes the "reading" experience even cooler.

[This channel and the StorylineOnline children’s literacy website in general are my newest discoveries. There you can watch and/ listen to a whole lot of awesome picture books being read to you by amazing actors and actresses including Kevin Costner, Rita Mor
Hugh Stuart
Jun 19, 2012 Hugh Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story explores the terrifying prospect of a fully grown male lion gaining entry to a public library. However, this lion doesn't eat anyone or cause a major disturbance. Instead, he becomes popular with the small children and librarian and does his best to follow the library's many rules. The tale allows us to unpick the idea of rules and when and how they should (and must!) be broken. A really lovely story for KS1 and early KS2. I read it to my Maths set during storytime and they were rapt.
Lauren
Apr 06, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Age 4-7 Appropriate
Library Lion is a beautifully illustrated children's book with a nice message about following the rules. I saw online that it is appropriate for ages 4-7, but I think younger kids would appreciate the story and the bright, almost watercolor-like illustrations, if the story was read to them. I liked how the lion in the story is given human traits (dusting books, licking envelopes, etc.), so there is a comical side to the story as well. I will certainly be giving copies of this book as gifts! :)
Gabrielle Zastrow
After Mrs. Zastrow read this book to us, we are arguing about who gets to reread it next. That kind of action should tell you just what we thought of this book! We LOVED it!

In class, we are studying how authors end their books. This ending is powerful because it made us, the readers glad we read it, making it a reflective ending. It was also a happy ending because the lion was able to return to the library. Language was repeated a lot about library rules which made it a repetitive ending as well
Emily
Aug 25, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it. The kids love it. We're all happy. Heck, I don't know what I love most about this story?! All the library adoration? The lion? How much the kids adore RAHR-ing? Or is it the illustrations? Seriously if I didn't like reading the Library Lion so much I'd just put the darling illustrations of the lion and Miss Merriweather all over my walls.
Sara
Mar 04, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of the sweetest books we have read in a long time. There is something so perfectly lovely about it. The illustration is gentle and child loving. The idea is fun. The writing is friendly and engaging. The moral is tender. This is an absolute gem!
Sha_von
Apr 27, 2009 Sha_von rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my 1st graders and did a wonderful plot, setting and character activity. They loved it! The book was very warm and the character of the lion helped the children to realize how important it is to be nice and help others.
Taryn
Apr 25, 2012 Taryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, storybook
I really like this book--the writing and the story especially, and I always love Kevin Hawkes' illustrations--but Juni didn't think much of it. Perhaps she's afraid of the lion? I don't know. But I definitely want to revisit it when she's older.
Allison
Feb 02, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book was so sweet! The illustrations by Kevin Hawkes were light and dreamy. This was a story I could get lost in. I love how the lion loves to hear the read alouds at the library and ends up helping a friend in need.
Cynthia Egbert
Aug 05, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A warm and fuzzy book is always appreciated after a tough day and this one is one of the warmest and fuzziest. With the opportunity provided to ROAR, this one will make a great read aloud to kids or grandkids.
  • Wild About Books
  • Bats at the Library
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • The Library
  • The Library Dragon
  • Tomas and the Library Lady
  • That Book Woman
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq
  • Charlie and Lola: But Excuse Me That is My Book (Charlie and Loal)
  • Library Lil
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • Please Bury Me in the Library
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Dog Loves Books
I'm the author of 45 books for young readers for all ages. Titles include the New York Times best-selling picture book Library Lion (illustrated by Kevin Hawkes), the middle-grade fantasy novels The Dragon of Trelian and The Princess of Trelian, and the YA novel Evil Librarian, which won the 2015 Sid Fleischman Award for Humor(!).

My newest book is the picture book Marilyn's Monster (Candlewick, Ma
More about Michelle Knudsen...