Start by marking “Grendel: Behold The Devil” as Want to Read:
Grendel: Behold The Devil

Grendel: Behold The Devil (Grendel)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  12 reviews
For years, the life of the original Grendel, Hunter Rose, has been accessible only through his private journal, but there is a secret too terrible for even its pages, and a section of the journal is missing. Behold the Devil follows Rose through this lost period early in his criminal career, as he is under scrutiny not only by the police and media, but also by the prying e...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Dark Horse Comics (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Grendel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grendel

Dufour
This was a GREAT addition to the GRENDEL mythos. I was first skeptical of yet another detour by Wagner into more RED, WHITE & BLACK stories of Hunter Rose. However, unlike those stories, BEHOLD THE DEVIL actually takes us to a new place with Grendel and puts sort of a nice little cap on the entire body of work.

Wagner, as always, stuns with both his amazing black & white (and red) art and his mastery of Hunter Rose's poetic dialogue. I think Hunter's aristocratic, nuanced writing gets bet...more
Paul
Collects the nine issue mini-series (numbered 0 to 8) published by Dark Horse.

Grendel feels himself stalked by an unknown presence. At first he believes this haunting presence to be Argent, but when confronted by Argent Grendel learns otherwise. As Grendel, Hunter Rose is enemy to police and criminal alike. Losing his edge is not an option. Grendel seeks mystic help from an enemy voodoo master to cure what ails him. Matt Wagner launches a stunning all-new miniseries featuring the Devil himself!

T...more
Blake Adamson
I've only read one other Grendel book by Matt Wagner and I kind of felt that the artwork was a bit rushed or too gritty...something along those lines. but this book, with its badass, sexy black-white-&-blood-red artwork that could give Frank Miller a run for his money, it makes me think that Dark Horse came up to Wagner and said, "dude, we know what you can do, given the proper time and motivation. we're giving you that; just crank out a book we both know everyone will love." and crank one o...more
jim
As with most serialized stories this was much easier to follow and, therefore, much more enjoyable to read as a collected edition. Wagner's artwork, as always, is gorgeous, and the way this "missing chapter" is woven into the existing Grendel mythose was seamless. This is how you update and flesh out a character's past without making it feel like a forced retcon.

It's great fun to, again, be part of the classic Grendel storytelling method with Hunter's biography leading the narrative and the real...more
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
Travis
Hunter Rose, the master criminal known as Grendel is trying to juggle his personal life, a brewing gang war, a nosey reporter and a stubborn young police woman, when he realizes 'something' is following him around the city.
Like his literary grandfather 'Fantomas' Grendel is an unrepentant villain, throughly amoral and brutal, yet so well written that you can't help but root for him.

Wagner juggles a couple story threads nicely. None drag or feel padded and despite knowing what happens to anyone t...more
Jacob
While I did enjoy this work as anything by the master craftsman Matt Wagner tends to be worth while, the pieces that make up the whole are a bit of a jumbled mess. Wagner tries to weave a story using albeit failed experimental comic book effects. Your mileage may vary, but I prefer a straight-up comic book material within my comic book material. I don't want to read 4 paragraphs of prose by "Christina Spar" particularly when it's bad enough Wagner has tons of monologue caption to read (usually p...more
Bob Parks
Matt Wagner's Grendel, it if wasn't written/drawn so well, would be a guilty pleasure. Hunter Rose is a dark anti-hero/villain that would walk hand in hand with Moriarity, Lecter, Fisk and others of his kind. This is the first story arc I've read that spent a ton of time in his head/journals. You don't necessarily cheer for him, but you become wrapped up. When it comes down to it, he is the anti-Batman. Read that story line back when it came out in the comics, going to have to find it again.
Jason
I actually read this as individual issues, but it's great stuff regardless of how you read it. It tells of a couple of weeks that are missing from the Grendel journals that Christine Spar used to write Devil by the Deed. The book is therefore presented as speculation on her part, backed up with police interviews.

A lot of people complain about the supernatural element to this volume, but hey-Grendel's arch-enemy is a werewolf. Deal with it. :P
Shannon Appelcline
Behold the Devil. This is a good Hunter Rose story — what I'd been hoping for throughout the volume. For the first time ever, we get a continuing narrative of Hunter that shows us what his daily life looked like, how he interacted with it, and the dangers that he faced. I could have done without the reveal of the future to bookend the series, but otherwise it's a fun story with at least one surprising twist [7/10].
Sean Chick
It would have been better if I had not read this first but all the same I quite enjoyed it.
Trey Jackson
Decent enough. I do want to check out some of the older stuff though.
Jonas Magnusson
Jonas Magnusson marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Lifelike
Lifelike marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Herge2014
Herge2014 marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Axolotl
Axolotl marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Matt Wagner is an American comic book writer and artist. In addition to his creator-owned series' Mage and Grendel, he has also worked on comics featuring The Demon and Batman as well as such titles as Sandman Mystery Theatre and Trinity, a DC Comics limited series featuring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.
More about Matt Wagner...
Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity Batman and the Monster Men Madame Xanadu, Vol. 1: Disenchanted Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 1: The Tarantula Batman and the Mad Monk