Start by marking “Romeo x Juliet Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Romeo x Juliet Omnibus

Romeo x Juliet Omnibus (Romeo x Juliet)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Neo-Verona was once peacefully ruled by the Capulet family, but the rival house of Montague led a coup against the Capulets, wiping them out. Fourteen years later, Lord Montague rules Neo-Verona with an iron fist. But there is hope for the suffering citizens: Juliet Capulet survived the massacre and now turns her sword against the wealthly Montagues in an effort to aid the ...more
Published July 27th 2010 by Yen Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Romeo x Juliet Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romeo x Juliet Omnibus

Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
42nd out of 314 books — 477 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrThe Hollow by Jessica VerdayNevermore by Kelly Creagh
Books I find Grabbing
7th out of 79 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat (Lost in Neverland)
For anyone who wants to read this book because of the original play by William Shakespeare, let me tell you now that it is nothing like the original story.
I mean, yeah, the names are the same. Romeo, Juliet, Benovlio, Tybalt, Montague, Capulet, etc.
But the whole story, their age, their deaths, their love, it's all different.

And it's a hell of a lot better.

There are freaking flying horses in this version, for crying out loud. How awesome is that? And Juliet is a masked hero and Romeo a romant
Liz
This was nice manga to read after Otakon. XD

The art is very nice, esp the colored pages, and I think this is the first time I've actually liked a Romeo and Juliet adaptation (it doesn't hurt that they REALLY deviate from the original play).

I was particularly taken with Juliet, who is kind of like a mix of Zorro, Joan of Arc, and well, a teenaged girl. XD It was very charming. Romeo was also cast more in the romantic lead role, which was kind of refreshing, I have to say. Good choice.

I really wa
Allison
I read this for the Shoujo Manga Book Club as a way to kill time while I waited for a work computer's virus scan to finish, so really, I didn't expect much from this manga. It was entertaining, though! The lack of subplot was a little bothersome, but that happens with most manga based on anime, so it wasn't really a surprise. The character art was a little difficult to tell apart at times, too, especially when it came to the supporting cast. Even though they didn't look terribly alike, Tybalt an ...more
Karla
The artwork is great, but the storyline foundered for me. I didn't mind that it played VERY fast and loose with the Romeo and Juliet storyline... but didn't like the Escalus storyline. It wasn't integrated from the beginning. Felt like it was thrown in at the end to make the ending tragic... :(
Lauren
This is a wonderful retelling of the classical Romeo and Juliet saga. The drawings were beautiful and I loved the artful storyline.
Mar 07, 2014 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I'm really impressed! I absolutely cannot stand Romeo and Juliet. It is my least favorite of Shakespeare's plays, and I can think of several unpleasant things I would rather do than read it again. That said, I picked this book up at the library on a whim, and while I was really hesitant, I'm always up for trying new manga.

I am so glad I read this book! It's amazing! It has a whole new take on the original story, with plot twists! It has gorgeous artwork which brings this retelling of a Shakespe
Kate
While I thought that this manga was pretty mediocre, I do have to applaud the author for coming up with a really interesting way to twist this story into something almost completely different. As far as the manga is on its own it's not bad but I do feel that there is definitely room for improvement.

Despite the fact that this is a retelling of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet it does have some merit of it's own which is a good thing because that means that you don't have to read the original to und
Domagoja
Reasons I like RxJ:
---Compare to the anime, I really, really, really LOVE the art. I absolutely love how COM design the characters and the background and I love the manga art for Romeo and Juliet better than the anime. I was really jealous how they were drawn because how flawless it looks. It convince the readers (me) to believe that this is what Romeo and Juliet would have been imagine by William Shakespeare himself. (If you didn't know, I judge but the looks XD opps) Futhermore, it made the ch
Eden
When Neo-Verona was ruled by the house of Capulet, it was peaceful. But the rival house of Montague destroyed the Capulet family and now fourteen years later, Lord Montague rules Neo-Verona.

What he didn't know is that Juliet Capulet survived and she's the people's greatest hope. And then Juliet meets Romeo, Lord Montague's son. Romeo and Juliet find themselves falling in love. But they're supposed to be enemies. They are not sure what to do, but they just know they want to be together.

The manga
Sori Fant
Quality of Writing:

Dialogue: 10
Pace: 8 It was a bit too fast for me but that wasn't really COM's fault cause it's just a quick 9 chapter version of the anime.
Ease of Reading: 10
Enjoyability: 10 You can soar right through this book but then have to pick it right up again.

Plot:

Beginning: 10
End: 10
Development: 10
Insightfulness: 10 Such a good twist on Romeo and Juliet.
Completeness: 10
Over all Plot: 10

Characters:

Personalities: 10 Love all the characters in this.
Depth: 9 It could have gone more
Clara Jansson
Oct 25, 2014 Clara Jansson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves a good love story
Recommended to Clara by: A youtube video
I watched the anime before I read the manga and it's absolutely amazing! I love it so much!

It's the classic story with Romeo and Juliet but it's overtaken by all the things I love; forbidden love, adventure, lots of kick-ass characters, there's a war and Juliet actually does something (!!!) and it makes it sooo much better!
William Shakespeare is also a character in both the anime and manga and he's absolutely fabulous!

There are some small changes between the anime and the manga, but it's not an
Adriana
3.5/5 Stars

A really fascinating twist on the original story complete with vigilantes, cross-dressing, and some surprise fantasy twists! The artwork was beautiful and I like how some of the original characters were further explored and how some relationship dynamics were completely flipped! However, I felt the transitions in this manga were sloppy, and it was difficult to get a hold on the timeline within the story. Furthermore some characters' roles were never fully explained, which kind of suck
Zen
There is something lacking from this representation of one of my favourite anime. Too much has been shoved into a mere two volumes, and although the art is beautiful the manga itself feels shallow and unexplored. It seems to me that this is only worth reading for those who have already watched the anime, otherwise a lot would go unexplained. Very disappointing.
Sakina (Y.L.) Angel
The artwork here was gorgeous, especially the colour pages. I really liked COM's style, and the gentle expressions upon the main characters' faces were extremely moving.

Whilst the story clearly borrowed elements from Shakespeare, there was enough here to make this manga a complete and whole project with it's own foundation of a storyline, rather than a simple retelling. I did find the opening confusing at first and hard to get into as the panels and action didn't flow too smoothly, but once I go
Essence Brown
Loosely based off of the play, Romeo X Juliet gives the story a twist fro the star-crossed lovers. Being a huge critic of the play, I was glad that this was nothing like it. The ways the characters were developed and the fact that this expanded a longer period of time (allowing for more character development and a better plot than the play) allowed for a better connection to the characters.
I felt more empathy for this Romeo and Juliet than I ever felt for the originals. Romeo was portrayed as
Douglas Cootey
With panel sequencing so abrupt it borders on the non-sequitur, this is not an easy story to follow. In fact, I skimmed the last two acts because the tale had lost my interest. I simply didn't care for the of characters, most of which were never developed. Perhaps if the villian hadn't been as two dimensional as his line work…

Sometimes the art rose above the muddied tale during scenes of contemplation and serenity, but otherwise the art was one of the main reasons the narrative was so unfathomab
Euryanthe
So apparently this is based on the anime. Which I happen to adore. It does have Shakespearean elements, but in reality it's nothing like the original story. Quite a unique twist on it too. That's why I loved it so much.

That being said, manga just wasn't as good. It was too rushed and at times difficult to understand. Which is too bad cause I wanted it to be as amazing as the anime is.
The drawings though are really great. Especially the ones in color. Beautifully drawn.

In any case, it's really
Pauline
A truly unique twist to the story of Romeo and Juliet.

I'm more of a 3.5 star on this one though. The art is AMAZING, but some of the action drawings are simply too busy for the frame. It's difficult to see what's going on in some of the pictures and I found myself reading other panels to try and figure out what had happened and completely ignoring that panel.

Other than that the ending is a unique change to the ending, and probably not what you're expecting when you begin reading. But this IS R
Beth
Apr 14, 2014 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Saw the anime first and had to read the manga. Loved it, obviously haha
Mitzfit
This was a (quick) re-read for me. The anime is really good as well. 5/5 stars
Alan
I had some knowledge of the anime (I guess Shakespere in big in Japan right now). An enjoyable science fantasy retelling of the classic tale. Some things stay the same, and others change Among the changes at the story's begnning is that Juliet is masquerading as a boy because her family, Neo Verona's rulers, had been murdered and replaced in power 14 years before. At times, like Zorro, she goes out in public as the sword wielding Red Mask to defend the peasants. For the most part its a shojo man ...more
Samantha
I rather liked this new twist on the old tale. I would watch the anime as well.
Ya Zet
Apr 09, 2014 Ya Zet added it
Them nobles and feels..
Mike Jensen
Enjoyable Manga that appropriates Shakespeare's play to tell a fairly clichéd tale of despotism and rebellion in the future Neo-Verona. Juliet is a Zorro like character standing against Romeo's father. R&J meet, love, and soon Romeo is against his father as well. The ending is strange to my Western sensibilities, but may play better in the East. Some of the drawing is very hard to decipher, but knowledge of Japanese Manga semiotics may make the images clear.
Jenny (jennyhjyBOOKWORM)
Way better than the original. Yep, definitely better. I love it, and it's great reference for drawing manga characters. The book is romantic, funny, and touching and sad in the end. It's about true and forbidden love between two teenagers, and the book teaches us about love. It's ultimately strange that the book I'm writing processed from this.
Robin Conley
Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite stories so I was a little worried that this version wouldn't do it justice. As soon as I started reading though, I was hooked. The story keeps you curious at what direction it will go in and it has a nice twist to it that makes it different, yet true to the original. I really like this take on the classic story and I think the artwork was beautiful too.
Connie Huseltine
Honestly, i was informed about this Manga at a summer camp a few years ago and I read it very quickly. I was excited about it, but i didn't take the time to go throught the manga. to look at every page, every pannel and aprechiate it. I went back and looked at it againg yesterday, and the detail blew me away. A truely interesting and creative retelling of Shakespeare's excellent play!
Joyce Liang
This book is full of romance and sorrow... I'm sure eveyrone knows about the story of Romeo and Juliet. This book inspires me so much. What matters is in the inside not the outside... The distance, or who you are doesn't mean anything, it's the love you have for each other that counts.
Jacob Jones
This book was suggested and loaned to me by my lovely girlfriend and I'm so glad she did! This is one of the most unique takes on Romeo and Juliet I've ever read or seen. I was completely engrossed and wanted to stand up and cheer at some prime moments! Love it!
Shoujo Manga Book...: Romeo x Juliet Discussion 7 7 Dec 19, 2014 08:05AM
The Random World ...: Romeo x Juliet - November 8 29 Nov 28, 2012 08:38AM
  • Olympos (Omnibus)
  • Darker than Black (Darker than Black, #1-2)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 2 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #2)
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 03 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #3)
  • I Am Here! Omnibus Vol. 02
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 1
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 2 (Deadman Wonderland, #2)
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 08
  • Shakespeare's Hamlet: The Manga Edition
  • Future Diary, Volume 9 (Future Diary, #9)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #1)
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 1
  • Mistress Fortune
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 3
  • Angel Diary, Vol. 01

Romeo x Juliet (2 books)
  • Romeo x Juliet, Vol. 01
  • Romeo x Juliet, Vol. 02
Romeo x Juliet, Vol. 02 Romeo x Juliet, Vol. 01 Evaluation of Nsf's Program of Grants and Vertical Integration of Research and Education in the Mathematical Sciences (Vigre) Student Mobility: Exploring the Impact of Frequent Moves on Achievement: Summary of a Workshop Countering Biological Threats: Challenges for the Department of Defense's Nonproliferation Program Beyond the Former Soviet Union